You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: What Did You Guys Think Of This Rant...?

Intercourse wrote:

Slash probably misses Axl's wild talent but not the garbage that came with it..

I don't blame him for being really pissed about Axl not going on stage. That must be agonizing when you love the experience so much and you can see the fans waiting, primed, begging for you to get out there and blow them away.

Very few artists understood Axl's reasoning for abondoning his job as front man when he was needed so badly so many times. For most artists playing live is the pinnacle of the experience. I've been there on a tiny scale and a good gig is an out-of-body experience it rocks so hard.

All the former members were pissed with Axl for this and I'd say that kind of emotional brinkmanship could cause more booze and alcohol problems for the others as they tried to steady their frayed nerves.

When you're 23 years old and have 100 people depending on you for their paycheck and millions of people around the world paying big money to see you play and your singer cannot be trusted to show up no matter what logic is tried on him... that must be a pressure NONE of us can imagine.. What would you do to calm yourself when you can have ANYTHING you want to ease the nerves...drink anyone? joint? line of junk?

They were boozing and doing drugs waaay before they even made it big, they just did alot more after that and before the UYI tours which Axl did most of his no shows, I don't think they did any more boozing and drug use because of it, IMO.

AtariLegend wrote:

For everything that says he followed trends...

The leaked tracks... what current trend is being followed there...?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Every trend from the past twenty years mixed together. It breaks no ground whatsoever, but they do it very well.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

The leaked tracks were written years ago.  They were playing catch up on the trends that were already becoming dated at that time.

AtariLegend wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Every trend from the past twenty years mixed together. It breaks no ground whatsoever, but they do it very well.

But there recording the kind of music that they/Axl want to do...

Non of the songs are trying to be "hip".... That is the point.

As far as we know Axl hasn't tried to make a Rap album yet... (Shaq guested on one track a decade ago)

James

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

But there recording the kind of music that they/Axl want to do...

Non of the songs are trying to be "hip".... That is the point.

As far as we know Axl hasn't tried to make a Rap album yet... (Shaq guested on one track a decade ago)

But as Buzzsaw stated, this shit is going on a decade old. Its already dated. This was the main problem with taking so long, and doing a trilogy before doing one album is completely absurd.

These songs were "hip" when they were originally done. They just aren't hip anymore.

I'm not downing the quality. Its great stuff. Its just not breaking any ground, and is not going to set the world on fire.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Being inspired by trends is quite different from following one. It sounds fresh in GN'R terms. Expecting more than that is unreasonable, especially from a 'mainstream band'.

Axl wanted to try out new things. Imo that's what he's done, and he's done it good. Mission accomplished in that aspect.

bussaw wrote:

The leaked tracks were written years ago.  They were playing catch up on the trends that were already becoming dated at that time.

Name one.

James

James wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Being inspired by trends is quite different from following one. It sounds fresh in GN'R terms. Expecting more than that is unreasonable, especially from a 'mainstream band'.

Axl wanted to try out new things. Imo that's what he's done, and he's done it good. Mission accomplished in that aspect.

Being "inspired" by trends and actually copying trends is walking a very fine line. You're right though, the trends being used are a definite departure from what was typical of old GNR, even though alot of this stuff is aiming towards UYI territory.

Name one.

Songs being built around hip hop beats. The techno synth flavor added to tracks. The industrial crap. The Prodigy ripoff Silkworms. Turning an an incredibly beautiful song into an 80's power ballad.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

Being "inspired" by trends and actually copying trends is walking a very fine line. You're right though, the trends being used are a definite departure from what was typical of old GNR, even though alot of this stuff is aiming towards UYI territory.

Is it really? Or is it just because that is the only thing there is to compare it to, previous Axl work?

To me it simply sounds like the parts in GN'R I recognize as vintage Axl. I can think of many influences, but the way it's put together is simply classic Axl, and only that. There isn't a single band I can think of that sounds like this band does.

Name one.

Songs being built around hip hop beats. The techno synth flavor added to tracks. The industrial crap. The Prodigy ripoff Silkworms. Turning an an incredibly beautiful song into an 80's power ballad.

These are multiple trends. To me that is no different than OG GN'R incorporating aspects of the Stones, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Elton John etc. and making it their own. Imo that is what great music is about, extracting the best from different styles.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

James answered the original question for me (thanks James). 

I don't think anybody is saying there's something wrong with what they are doing by copying other trends.  Very few artists are truely groundbreaking.  I think the problem is copying trends when they are already a little aged, then waiting 10 more years to think about releasing them. 

As for the old band copying Aerosmith and the Stones, of course they did to some extent.  The difference is that when they played, you knew it was them playing even without Axl's voice.  They combined those styles and made it their own.  I don't hear any style of their own with the new band, especially without BH.  I hear a bunch of different styles thrown together for the sake of throwing them together.  That's fine, but it isn't groundbreaking.  There's no direction, nothing to build a foundation of their own off of.  Even with the bloated songs of UYI, you still have DTJ, Locomotive, YCBM, etc that let you know this was still the same band and tied it all together.

Board footer