You are not logged in. Please register or login.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

Re: "Guns N' Roses: Is It All Over? Does Anyone Care?"

sic. wrote:

The heading comes from a November 1995 article in Metal Hammer. Sadly, it seems it hasn't lost its significance much in the past 13 years. After much anguish and disappointments, the album is finally coming out in less than 10 days.

It's a year and a half late from the infamous 03/06/07 'tentative' release date.

It's two years late from the promises made for November '06.

It's five years late from the final Geffen deadline of 12/31/03.

It's six years late from 09/02/02 and the aftermath of the VMA's, which went out in a whimper instead of the promised bang.

It's seven years late from June '01 and the ill-fated summer tour.

It's nine years late from the original Geffen deadline of 03/01/99.

And most of us have heard it by now, anyway.

The new management team, Azoff and Gould, have promised a 'monumental campaign', which would give the album what it deserves. Aside from some sneaky licensing deals with Rock Band 2 and Body of Lies (which bring money to, first and foremost, Universal, as they acquired the publishing rights to the songs in their buy-out of Sanctuary Group) and the odd choice for a single, I fail to see anything barely resembling a promotional campaign, let alone a monumental one.

The matter of fact is, the mythical album is coming out in a shape that is forced, asset-stripped and by all means, a shadow of what it would've gotten nine, six, or even two years ago. All involved are now left with a sensation of being underwhelmed, as there is no trilogy, no double album, not even that many tracks that've went unheard until now. Talks about a reunion with Slash & co have never gained as much ground, as most (including Slash himself in some occasions) considered Axl wants to release CD and be done with it before he'll commit to anything else.

Now the album's coming out and even Axl himself, with his prolonged silence on the eve of the supposed triumph, is ominously silent, refusing to do any press or public appearances. Most agree that the music's good enough for a Guns N' Roses album, but the Guns N' Roses that - by far and large - made this album no longer exist.

Even the title track alone is a testament to the insane process of creation; originally written by the first drummer, his follower re-recorded everything in attempt to sound like Dave Grohl. Neither are featured in the final recording, as Ax decided to toss up one of his so-called 'grand gestures' on the way of the touring drummer, obliterating two sets of perfectly serviceable drum tracks for no other reason that mere indulgence.

The Real Guns N' Roses of the 21st Century have, unfortunately, ran their course. Buckethead will not be coming back, and Robin's future with the band is looking bleaker by the moment. Has time finally caught up with Axl - has he realized now that he had everything going for himself if only he'd stepped up and delivered? His years as a frontman are still to be numbered, yet he can never hope to take the musical world by storm with a lineup worthy of the name in every sense imaginable.

Not that the said lineup ever really had a chance to come to age. After so many missteps and what-not, Axl overcame numerous self-imposed obstacles (incl. a ridiculous appearance with king-sized jerseys and sweat pants) and offered a glimpse of the real thing in Madison Squre Garden, 12/05/02. Looking back for a historical counterpart, I might recommend Wembley Stadium, London, 08/31/91; Izzy's last show.

The old band proved they could survive the dismissal of Adler and still come out strong. This lineup was no different. While there were a few shows in store for Paul Huge beyond Rock in Rio 3, the Brazilian crowds were his Farm Aid, the first and last piece of limelight the mystery man, previously known only from unflattering mentions in various articles, ever received alongside his fellow Hoosier.

The UYI lineup still made a wonderful pair of albums and managed to soldier on in life support despite losing much of what'd originally made them tick. In retrospect, it was a smart decision for the band to go on the road before the album release and the inevitable meltdown; the momentum gained was strong enough to carry them around the world for two and a half years, even though those remaining had by then turned into emotional wrecks or substance abusers, mechanically wandering through their motions on a nightly basis; the King Kong who'd now reached the top.

Now, there is no momentum. An album exists, but there's no recording lineup to hit the road, arouse controversy and go down in flying colors due to internal disputes. There's merely the shadow of that band, which now faces the same old problem; the need to tour behind something you did not create in the first place.

Axl wasted his definitive 'new era' lineup on AFD tributes. They were overpowering, glitchy, a strange eight-piece Frankenstein shoehorned into a five-piece of the hair-metal heyday. They looked and sounded peculiar because they had nothing to fall back into. There was no album to provide reference, no There Was A Time soloing under Axl's wails to demonstrate the audiences with the capabilities of that lineup. They knew they had a great album under their belts, but they had next to nothing to show for it.

And now they are no more. All that remains is Axl Rose and his mythical album, which, in less than 10 days, is subjected to fierce scrutiny worldwide.

Has the day finally come when Axl has found himself very alone with himself, as his album is now coming with next to no promotion? Or has he found the inner peace he's craved in the past and no longer gives a damn about what happens next, leaving the album to stand trial as a monument of his abilities and retreating to his mansion now that no-one can ask him to deliver anything more?

Or will he stand up and face the same music which he perfected by sacrificing everything?

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

sic, that is one of the best posts I have ever read in a decade on the forums!

The content is very sobering, enlightening and most importantly...true.

Axl had a lineup in 2001 that could have been a triumph even in the face of former greatness that was the "real" GNR. 

He then had chances to build the buzz/hype into an honorable success in 2002 and 2006.  Once again opportunities were pissed away.

Now we are left with the reality that Chinese Democracy won't hit the rock world with a roar but a mere forgettable whisper.

Axl's best chance at regaining greatness once again is to look to the past and reunite with those that made Guns N Roses one of, if not THE, greatest rock n roll bands of all time.

The monkey is off his back now in terms of Chinese Democracy.  Time to let it run its course and move on.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I think 02-03 was the time. They had the VMA hype, BH was becoming known as their guitarist, hot music at the time like Korn, Limp Bizkit Papa Roach would have had their doors blown off by GnR, and they were better known as fairly recent & awaited. Now, it just seems like too long ago & a whole generation behind. 2006 would have also been good, probably 2nd best time inho, when the leaks created good buzz.

I'm glad it's coming out, and happy he finally is releasing it. But I don't have expectations outside of hearing 2 or 3 singles get some moderate airplay, and a tour (hopefully) from the band.  Outside of that, it won't be revolutionary to the modern world.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

You're forgetting one thing: This album actually took 14 years to make. The songs as we heard them years ago were not in any shape finished enough to be released. I don't even think the 2006 album should've been released. What we've been hearing these last few weeks are songs that have been greatly improved, even though the changes seem small, and for the first time I can honestly say that they have reached the proper level.

It's sad that it took so long, but we got to realize it could not have happened any other way. If the price to pay for a great album is the band falling apart, so be it. It is kind of ironic in a good way.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Well the single is doing well. the digital downloads too. the preorders seem to be fairing well too. I wouldnt call failure on what has happened since the release date was made.  I think we as gnr fans always hope for more than we are gonna get with everything axl does. But i do agree this album missed its time to shine and take control of the rock world. the band itself being the saddet part. To many lineup changes. Its really hard to call it a band.

great post man.

nugdafied wrote:

And with every business passing hour, America's economy crumbles that much more. Axl has waited until the absolute worst possible time to release this thing. Sales of everything will be down across the board this holiday season.

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

This over the top negativity is hilarious!!!

Sky Dog wrote:

The sky is falling....the sky is falling.....I think I would have held this post at least until January, but it was a nice piece of writing. It is pretty obvious that Azoff is holding Axl back for something. I think it is cool that they are not pimping this thing like a two dollar whore....

huntermc
 Rep: 12 

huntermc wrote:

I keep waiting for that Rolling Stone "Axl Speaks" cover story, but it doesn't look like it'll be the latest issue. The cover story is something about the 100 Greatest Singers Of All Time, and this issue will run for the next two weeks. This should be his crowning achievement, the culmination of over a decade of work, so why haven't we heard a peep out of the man himself?

If the album comes out in a little over a week and there isn't some major promotional push like a front cover magazine interview, music video, new band lineup, tour announcement, etc. then it just sounds like this is an afterthought to wrap up this chapter in the bands history.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Yeah, I agree with madagas. The album isn't even out yet. Pull up! Pull up!

Some of my outlook on the "band" has changed in the last day. I'm not saying anything more. But I wouldn't be surprised if there is one big surprise up Axl's sleeve.

Board footer