You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bringbackadler
 Rep: -10 

Re: Steve Jones On Chinese Democracy... (From 1996)

Communist China wrote:

Finck and Bucket especially have brought this project to where it is as much as anyone

15 years, 3 tours, a 5th drummer, and still no album.  roll Are you considering the 7 demos as being progress ?

I'm not trying to be smart, but where exactly IS this project ? I'm pretty sure alot of people would look at this "situation" over the past 15 years and say that this seems to be going absolutely nowhere.

bba

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

It hasn't been 15 years. If people will look at the situation clearly, you will see that the wait hasn't been going on since the day after TSI hit the shelves. You can scratch off the table anything from the 94-98 era, as its obvious the band was in clusterfuck mode and the conditions were not right to feasibly write, record, and release an album in that time frame.

The groundwork for Chinese Democracy started in early 99. The foundation wasn't actually built until BH entered the lineup, which was late 2000. 2000 was the first time GNR had a stable lineup since 93. We know that the bulk of the material we have heard is from the 99-2004 era. It still puzzles me why we didn't get a record out of these sessions. That lineup was together almost as long as the old band. After BH left(and then Brain), the band entered clusterfuck status again. Axl was sitting on God only knows how much material(I think an album or two, Baz says four), and he basically has to go back to 1999 where he is rebuilding the band AGAIN, with the addition of BBF and Frank.

So it brings up the question: Can the revamped 2006-07 lineup release an album when the 2000-04 lineup couldn't? Thats the million dollar question, and we may have to wait years to get an answer.

I'm not excusing this long wait, as it is clearly absurd. It just hasn't been going on since the old band died.

bringbackadler
 Rep: -10 

Jameslofton wrote:

It hasn't been 15 years.

The groundwork for Chinese Democracy started in early 99.

Fair enough. Like you said, it still doesn't excuse the ridiculously long wait.

Jameslofton wrote:

So it brings up the question: Can the revamped 2006-07 lineup release an album when the 2000-04 lineup couldn't? Thats the million dollar question, and we may have to wait years to get an answer.

If we have to wait years to get an answer, I think the million dollar question will be more like, will the revamped 2010-2011 lineup be able to release an album when the 2006-2007 couldn't ? neutral

If I were a bettin man, I still say doubtful. Hope I'm wrong though.

bba

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Thats what worries me. If the 2000-04 lineup with all that potential and great material cant get one record to materialize, how can the current lineup do it? While opinions vary, I consider the current lineup a serious downgrade from the 01-02 lineup(no offense Ron). They are basically walking into a house with the foundation built by other guys(the 01 lineup), yet are no closer to the promised land either. I also dont think whatever lineup does finally release this record should get all the credit.

Robman
 Rep: 5 

Robman wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

Thats what worries me. If the 2000-04 lineup with all that potential and great material cant get one record to materialize, how can the current lineup do it? While opinions vary, I consider the current lineup a serious downgrade from the 01-02 lineup(no offense Ron). They are basically walking into a house with the foundation built by other guys(the 01 lineup), yet are no closer to the promised land either. I also dont think whatever lineup does finally release this record should get all the credit.

I think both lineups are about equal, considering you get an Axl that can actually sing in the 06-07 lineup.

Board footer