You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Paxcow
 Rep: 5 

Re: GNR Evo members' Chinese Democracy reviews thread

Paxcow wrote:
shotgunblues1978 wrote:
Bono wrote:
shotgunblues1978 wrote:

Oh my God, yeah, I can't believe they posted a positive review about the album from a major newspaper

The gaul!  The insanity!

I mean yeah it may be an asshole move in some ways but if they're going to post any reviews from major, reputable sources at all that might as well be one of them.  Especially because it's so positive about the new band, and because so much shit has been rained on guys who played on this album who did nothing to deserve it

It's not about being positive it's about being so god damn disrespectful of the old band. It's about trying to discredit the past while boosting their own ego. the review for the first three paragraphs basically goes off on how bad Slash was. It has more to do with trying to tarnish the past than embrace the present.  If you can't see what's wrong with this being posted on the official site than that in itself is pathetic.  Axl should have(but doesn't) the confidence to let the album stand on it's own. Even the fans preach this but instead they put up a  review that rather than  saying why the new album is good it's saying here's why Slash was too shitty to make such a  quality album.  It reaks of a desperate attempt at giving the album Gn'R cred by trying to discredit the original Gn'R guitarist.  It's weak. It's laughable and it's pathetic.

Sorry, just don't care

Maybe Axl is bitter and vindictive, but I honestly don't care.  It's not like I'm hoping to be best friends with the guy.  I like him because his music speaks to me in a way that few other musicians do

You could make a laundry list of actions and comments from both Axl and Slash that make them look petty, bitter, and childish.  Both of them, at the end of the day, are very childlike, albeit in completely different ways.  It's about the music to me.  I don't really give a shit about the rest of the drama

I don't care if Axl "insults" me, I don't know him and he doesn't know me.  But bottom line, getting irate over the fact that his camp posted a positive article about his album from a legit news  source on the website is pretty hysterical.  Childish and petty as this may be, you are taking it way too seriously, way too personally

i totally agree with you, shotgun.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

The thing that is suprising about it though isn't the hate for the ex-members.

Although this article also bashes Izzy who is thanked in the notes. But lets move on from that as we know that the GNR circle isn't too fond of ex-members.

It's the bashing of two of the bands 5 albums that makes no sence.

Is this why axl doesn't play much from UYI anymore? Has he grown to hate the material?

Myself I agree that Chinese Democracy is a kickass album, the shock to me comes that the offical site would compare it unfavourabley to AFD and then go on to bash two more of it's albums.

If you look at GNR as a brand. You don't see Sony post on their site saying "our new product is not quite as cool as when we invented surround sound, but it's still pretty bitching, and kicks the crap out of out god-awful minidisc product from 10 years ago - that was a terrible product we made ". That would be insanity - and that's what GNR just did - but even worse - as Use Your Illusion is still sold in record stores worldwide! And the website of the band that made it just called it bloated and ruined.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
shotgunblues1978 wrote:

Dude, I've already acknowledged that posting this article is in ways childish and vindictive.  What more do you want?  I just don't care that much. 

It's reactionary.  A response to the agenda filled articles that lean the other way.  It shouldn't come as any surprise.  I understand your point.  I just don't get why you take it so personally

Ummm do you actually think I give two shits about this stuff once I logout? I mean seriously have you never read anything and said "that's fucking pathetic and disgusting" in response or are you just too damn cavalier and don't react to things at all. Yeah I'm personally mortified by this. I'll have to call in sick tomorrow. I mean how can I work when I feel like this? roll   I sent the link to my brother. He read it, said it's pathetic and the guy is on crack. He's not even a fan. I wonder why he's taking it so personal?  Or is he just responding to a laughable article like I was?

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

The thing that is suprising about it though isn't the hate for the ex-members.

Although this article also bashes Izzy who is thanked in the notes. But lets move on from that as we know that the GNR circle isn't too fond of ex-members.

It's the bashing of two of the bands 5 albums that makes no sence.

Is this why axl doesn't play much from UYI anymore? Has he grown to hate the material?

Myself I agree that Chinese Democracy is a kickass album, the shock to me comes that the offical site would compare it unfavourabley to AFD and then go on to bash two more of it's albums.

If you look at GNR as a brand. You don't see Sony post on their site saying "our new product is not quite as cool as when we invented surround sound, but it's still pretty bitching, and kicks the crap out of out god-awful minidisc product from 10 years ago - that was a terrible product we made ". That would be insanity - and that's what GNR just did - but even worse - as Use Your Illusion is still sold in record stores worldwide! And the website of the band that made it just called it bloated and ruined.

Exactly! That's why it's such a  fucking farce they'd put it up there. And not only that by posting it they approve the sentiment that the Illusion albumswere ruined by exmembers when we all know that if there's any reason they sound bloated is because of you know who. Unreal.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I read it, and the dude is clearly fucked. But, I don't think reviewers for the most part know what they are talking about, so it's not unexpected. Reviewers are blowhards (I should know, I work at a newspaper).

The fact it is on the GNR site is curious, but the Rolling Stone review is there too. They obviously want the positive reviews up.

bigbri

bigbri wrote:

At this point, I guess I just expect these fuckups and curiosities and missteps. Like I've been beaten for so long that I just don't feel anything anymore. Same when I picked up CD. I just picked it up and bought it like a loaf of bread.

For a second I thought of the irony of buying it with my 6 year old son at my side, but that was it, then I went on talking to him about his spelling. I've only listened to it twice. I thought of not even buying it and downloading it. I've got kids to feed after all.

Bottom line, this is just another in a long line of mind-benders.

shotgunblues1978
 Rep: 11 

Bono wrote:
shotgunblues1978 wrote:

Dude, I've already acknowledged that posting this article is in ways childish and vindictive.  What more do you want?  I just don't care that much. 

It's reactionary.  A response to the agenda filled articles that lean the other way.  It shouldn't come as any surprise.  I understand your point.  I just don't get why you take it so personally

Ummm do you actually think I give two shits about this stuff once I logout? I mean seriously have you never read anything and said "that's fucking pathetic and disgusting" in response or are you just too damn cavalier and don't react to things at all. Yeah I'm personally mortified by this. I'll have to call in sick tomorrow. I mean how can I work when I feel like this? roll   I sent the link to my brother. He read it, said it's pathetic and the guy is on crack. He's not even a fan. I wonder why he's taking it so personal?  Or is he just responding to a laughable article like I was?

I hope it hasn't affected you to that level 16

I don't think anyone will boycott the album due to the fact that this review was posted on their site

Bottom line is that 3 of the 5 guys from the original lineup, those being Axl, Slash and Adler aren't exactly the model of maturity.  Duff and Izzy are another story.  So I'm not at all surprised that this article got posted.  It just doesn't matter to me.  Like I said, I'm an Axl fan because of the authenticity of his lyrics and his style of music.  The rest of the stuff isn't really an issue to me, because he has led a life that I can't comprehend, from the childhood abuse, to going from a complete nobody to an international superstar in the span of a year.  I think Izzy summed it up best, saying "Axl is a very complicated but very talented guy."  The drama and antics are irrelevant to me because the only relationship I have with the guy is via his music, which I can connect to better than almost any other musician I can think of

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

It's no shock to see Illusion-hate from Axl. They only play four songs (of 30) from those albums during the new era.

Axl also alluded to the albums as salvage jobs and a painful memory in 1999 or 2000. Can't remember.

He basically was focusing on CD, and only acknowledging AFD, and some Illusion. Which is ironic, because when production began on the Illusion's, AFD was dead to him, in his words - "I just wanted to bury that album".

Looks to me like he wants to bury anything that doesn't have his stamp all over it, and that includes Izzy sadly.

Even as an Axlite, a chronic Axl supporter... i'm stunned at this move. Axl had been very classy about all of it in the last couple of years, and to go this route, just doesn't make sense for him. It smacks of "The Clique" striking again.

Then again, could Azoff be working a reunion, and Axl's trying to intentionally sabotage it at any cost?

bigbri

bigbri wrote:

Sort of back on the topic of reviews. 

Of the three songs not heard in leaked form, I am really loving Sorry. Just love the overall vibe and sound. I'll have to say, I don't hear Baz at all. Of course, my hearing sucks after years of metal concerts. The solo is stellar stuff, which gets me to a point I was thinking about while riding to the train station:

I think Axl used Bucket totally opposite of the way he should have. Let Ron and Robin do the rockers. Bucket should have gotten the ballads. Maybe the CD solo they could keep, but the best solos seem to be Bucket on TWAT, Sorry and Madagascar, the ballad types; and Robin on Better. Those are the 4 best to me.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Sort of back on the topic of reviews. 

Of the three songs not heard in leaked form, I am really loving Sorry. Just love the overall vibe and sound. I'll have to say, I don't hear Baz at all. Of course, my hearing sucks after years of metal concerts. The solo is stellar stuff, which gets me to a point I was thinking about while riding to the train station:

I think Axl used Bucket totally opposite of the way he should have. Let Ron and Robin do the rockers. Bucket should have gotten the ballads. Maybe the CD solo they could keep, but the best solos seem to be Bucket on TWAT, Sorry and Madagascar, the ballad types; and Robin on Better. Those are the 4 best to me.

I'll do you one better Bri.  Robin shouldn't have had a solo on that album, Bucket and Ron would've done better jobs.

Board footer