You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: so, does CD stand up as a Guns N' Roses album?

metallex78 wrote:

Without so much as starting an old vs new debate, and there are plenty of those topics already, who here thinks that CD stands up to the GN'R name alongside the other albums and music?

I've listened to it a few times all the way through, and unfortunately I'm mostly kinda put off by it because there's either way too much going on or it simply makes me cringe at times. For every moment that makes me go "fuck, that's awesome!" there are just as many moments that make me shake my head.

Late on Friday night they had an hour of GN'R videos back to back on one of the cable music channels, and I dunno, as great as some of the stuff is (in places) on CD, it doesn't really sit with the other GN'R material too well. That is as far as becoming like, classic music that I'll be listening to in years to come.

So, I've found it best to consider it an Axl solo project.
I know music is subjective and all, and I' try not to be critical of it because of this, but stamping the GN'R name on it I think really does this album a disservice.

bloodyhell81
 Rep: 2 

bloodyhell81 wrote:

yes i do belive it stands up as a gnr album. The album has everything reminds me of uyi in that, different styles and there really isnt a song that i dont like. every time i listen to it i love it more even songs like shacklers and if the world which i cringed at have grown on me.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Maybe I need to listen a few more times to let it "grow" on me, but I think this album, lyric-wise spends too much time wallowing in it's own self pity of lost love etc

And while that was ok on a few tracks in the past, I think it dominates this album too much. This is a really deep emotional album that I think you have to be in a certain mood to listen to.

ereeper
 Rep: 14 

ereeper wrote:

I was thinking about this yesterday and I think that YES it does.  The difference I see is that CD doesn't seem to have the huge single.  It's more of a total album that needs to be enjoyed as a whole.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Bands can release different records, although the GN'R saga has some strange moments. Anyway... I have a GN'R feeling in some songs. Or I'd better not call it GN'R-feeling, but something like a "wow"...when you listen a song and you feel that you are part of something unique. I felt it when I heard the TWAT leak (the album version isn't that strong IMO) and I felt it when I heard This I Love. you know, I'd been just...paralyzed. All my parts were focused on the song, it was like entering another world. (Then the awful solo came and dragged me back to our imperfect world, that's full of finckness everywhere.)

Do I have the same feeling on all the old songs? No. It's impossible to feel the miracle so many times, but most of the old discography sets me to fire and bring to a different universe.

I think half of the material is GN'R-worthy, really strong songs (some would have needed more or less work though) that stand up to the GN'R legacy. CD, Better, TWAT, Sorry, This I Love are quality songs, and Madagascar and Scraped are solid. SOD would have deserved more. The rest is really weak in my opinion, but bands release better and worse stuff on their records.
The main problem is that 15 yers gone by since the last record and peopel expected something earth-shattering and it's not. If Axl's new (and newer and newer) band release an album of this quality in like every 3 years, I'm comfortable with it, but please, don't make us wait this long fo another good, but far from great album.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I've forgot to mention: many had a problem if this album will be a shame to the GN'R legacy. It's not, although the album has some extremely bad parts and could have been much better. The main thing for me is, it's not a shame to the GNR legacy.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

bloodyhell81
 Rep: 2 

bloodyhell81 wrote:

booklet looks pretty cool, i havent gone through it in detail like some have, rather listen to cd than bitch about the booklet, after all thats what we all have been waiting for

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Absolutely!  This album does it for me, no doubt.  I've been waking up to the sweet sounds of AFD every day for the last 3 years.  That's all gonna change tomorrow.  It's a new era, and I've embraced it.

Board footer