You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: New York yawns at Chinese Democracy

buzzsaw wrote:

They had one in Chattanooga, TN  It was pretty full, but it was there.  I actually had the vinyl version in my hands for about a minute before putting it back.  I see a sale in the near future...

i think the album will do OK week 1, but not as good as it could have.  between the single choice and the overall lack of promotion, most of the world has no clue that there even is an album much less that it's out.

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

Ehhh... I have to question the point of this article. I dont care either way about the albums sales, so I take a big salt shaker not only when theres articles like these, but also when fans claim "80 people were buying it at the store."

Sounds like Rolling Stone just wants to be the first media outlet to say "we called it" should it completely bomb

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

It is possible that it took them a while to put the displays up. I didn't go pick up my pre-order until around 1:30 PM yesterday. Perhaps those NYC stores eventually did put the displays up and RS wasn't there to see it because they went in the morning.

Good point. I also went in the morning. I think I'll go back to Best Buy tomorrow and see if there are any of these displays.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Strange story for Rolling Stone, more tabloid like.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

where I bought mine in Manchester, NH there was a big display right as you entered, impossible to miss. The vinyls were proudly displayed at the top.

sounds to me like the manager of that particular best buy dropped the ball.

BEFORE ANYBODY SAYS ANYTHING

that doesnt mean that Axl and co. didnt drop the ball either, marketing wise.

Same thing in Concord, NH....

NickNasty2009
 Rep: 2 

What exactly is lack of promotion?

- There were TV spots ad on Adult Swim and Comedy Central--2 huge networks for the 18-34 demographic

- There were the MySpace Promos and Widgets, and stream

- There were two singles, a movie placement, and a video game placement

- One of the biggest stations in the country played the album in its entirety (Krock)

The only thing I see lacking is a live performance or an Axl interview. In the former case, I would say that was a mistake. In the latter case, I'd say what's the point? Every interview would be the same: 'why did it take so long'? 'Zomg you had a guy with a KFC getup play on this!'

All the answers as to why it took so long are in the extensive liner notes, IMO.

And as for nobody knowing it is out--when i have people who aren't even guns fans telling me they were reading about it in the NY Times, I think it's safe to say people do know.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

My store had a small sign on the floor as well right in the area before you actually enter the store.  I didn't look around much for other signs to be honest - I was there to look for GH:WT, not CD.  If you were looking for it, you couldn't miss it.  If you weren't, there's a good chance you never saw it with where it was placed in my store.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
NickNasty2009 wrote:

What exactly is lack of promotion?

- There were...

Azoff & Co did their job and they did it pretty well. But two crucial things are missing from the promotion: an Axl Rose in-depth interview (and he should have done it before the album came out) and a friggin' video, weeks before the release.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

There actually were two displays in the Best Buy I went to. They were mostly full though.

They also had mini displays at every cash register. Those were not full.

Board footer