You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Predictions: 1st week U.S. sales will be...

faldor wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

^^ Metallica sold that many?? Wow, ok I'll up mine to 400K

I'm getting those numbers from wikipedia, so I'm trusting them.

the_real_jessica
 Rep: 22 

Even if GNR were to debut slowly, or even badly, the success can happen on the longer run.

It all depends how long they intend to do promotion for and how long they are willing to take to let younger ( and older) generations get used to a new rock sound.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Faldor, AC/DC didn't sell 1.7 million in the first week. It was 700,000-800,000 and then they made it to platinum status in the second week with 270,000 sold. 1.7 million in 1 week does NOT happen in the music industry anymore. Black Ice is at around 1.2 million after 3 weeks, which is incredible given the current situation in the music industry. CD is going to be a total joke by comparison.

faldor

faldor wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Faldor, AC/DC didn't sell 1.7 million in the first week. It was 700,000-800,000 and then they made it to platinum status in the second week with 270,000 sold. 1.7 million in 1 week does NOT happen in the music industry anymore.

Not according to wikipedia. 

Black Ice sold around 1,762,000 units in its first week, shipping 5,000,000 copies worldwide. The album went number one in 29 different countries, including Australia, the United Kingdom and United States. In its first week, it sold 784,000 copies in the US alone, with it receiving a three times platinum certification in Australia and selling upwards of 110,000 in the UK. The band's 15th effort has been heralded as "the biggest debut ever by a mainstream hard rock album."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Ice_(album)

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
faldor wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Faldor, AC/DC didn't sell 1.7 million in the first week. It was 700,000-800,000 and then they made it to platinum status in the second week with 270,000 sold. 1.7 million in 1 week does NOT happen in the music industry anymore.

Not according to wikipedia. 

Black Ice sold around 1,762,000 units in its first week, shipping 5,000,000 copies worldwide. The album went number one in 29 different countries, including Australia, the United Kingdom and United States. In its first week, it sold 784,000 copies in the US alone, with it receiving a three times platinum certification in Australia and selling upwards of 110,000 in the UK. The band's 15th effort has been heralded as "the biggest debut ever by a mainstream hard rock album."

EDIT: You are talking about worldwide sales. You should have made this clearer in your post earlier. When you talk about album sales, usually people assume you're talking about in the U.S. As I said, it did not sell 1.7 million in the U.S. during the first week. It sold 784,000 and went platinum in the second week. Look at the OP of this thread. He's not talking about worldwide numbers. He's talking about U.S. sales only. CD will go over 1 million worldwide I think.

boneshj
 Rep: 4 

boneshj wrote:
faldor wrote:

I could go and change it my self to 100 Billion albums.  That doesn't make it true.  The fact that anybody who actually registers on wikipedia can update, means everything needs to be taken with a grain of salt if it is on wikipedia.

It could very well be ture, but I'd have to see more than just Wikipedia cited as source to give it credibility. 

Back to the point of the thread... 400,000 US.  Double that number up worldwide at about 800,000.

faldor

faldor wrote:

Yeah, we're talking about 2 different things.  I wasn't aware that the Billboard charts ONLY included sales in the US.  Still, I'll stand by, I would expect/hope CD to sell somewhere in the ballpark of ACDC and Metallica.  If not, I'd view that as a disappointment, which was the original point to this thread.  Plus, I have a feeling Chinese Democracy will sell better in other countries outside of the US, comparatively.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
boneshj wrote:
faldor wrote:

I could go and change it my self to 100 Billion albums.  That doesn't make it true.  The fact that anybody who actually registers on wikipedia can update, means everything needs to be taken with a grain of salt if it is on wikipedia.

No, the numbers are right. What was wrong in his initial post is that he failed to mention he was talking about worldwide numbers. The OP is talking about in the U.S. and that was what I was talking about as well when I said that it didn't sell 1.7 million in the first week. U.S. sales are what people care about. CD is going to be laughed at when it sells what I think it's going to (around 250,000-350,000).

HiredGunz98
 Rep: 1 

HiredGunz98 wrote:

In the U.S I think Chinese Democracy will sell 700k-800k and go Platinum in week 2 . World Wide 5 million in week 1

faldor

faldor wrote:
boneshj wrote:
faldor wrote:

It could very well be ture, but I'd have to see more than just Wikipedia cited as source to give it credibility. 

Back to the point of the thread... 400,000 US.  Double that number up worldwide at about 800,000.

Yeah, that's my bad.  I didn't notice we were talking strictly US sales.

Board footer