You are not logged in. Please register or login.

sandman
 Rep: 30 

Re: Predictions: 1st week U.S. sales will be...

sandman wrote:

what does everyone think? and what would be considered a success/failure? here's my thoughts.

1. week one sales prediction: 650,000

2. my success/failure points...
Less than 300K = disaster
300K-400K = poor
400K-500K = so-so
500K-600K = good (this is the minimum range to be considered a 1st week success, IMO)
700K-800K = great
800-1M = phenominal. huge success.
1M+ = something special occurred.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
russtcb wrote:

All totaled (iTunes, in store, Napster, etc) I'm going with 275k in week one.

I'll say around 350 K.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

yeah...this is really tough to judge...as russtcb points out...

In a time where too many music fans feel like they don't have to pay for their music or buy one song off of an album through itunes, the situation is set up for the album sales to fail miserably...

It's just such a different time compared to the last time this band released an album.

the_real_jessica
 Rep: 22 

Well, considering how long the name has been away from mainstream medias, let's not get over excited.

This is not a prediction, it is logic.

Anything good is better than nothing at all.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I don't know much about iTunes figures, so straight cd sales alone I'll guess 250K. 

Comparing it to the Metallica album would be a good barometer. I'd say it'd be slightly less than whatever that was.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

sandman, I think the specific numbers you've used to gauge something a success or not are ... inaccurate. Are you speaking specifically of the hype surrounding Chinese Democracy and how its success might be measured on a different scale? Because generally albums don't debut to the kinds of numbers you seem to think they do, no offense.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

Music Week reports that GUNS N' ROSES' long-awaited new album "Chinese Democracy" sold 50,791 copies in the U.K. in its first day of release, according to midweek sales figures. The CD is trailing the latest LP from THE KILLERS, "Day And Age", which moved 70,764 units the day that it was issued.

In other news, "Chinese Democracy" has already been certified platinum in Finland. The Finnish platinum award for domestic albums recognizes sales in excess of 30,000 copies, while the same award is given out to foreign artists for shifting 20,000 units of a single album.

According to Hits Daily Double, the companion web site of music industry tip sheet HITS, first-week U.S. sales prognostications for "Chinese Democracy" are ranging anywhere from 300,000 to 500,000 (including a reported 25,000 downloads at iTunes). Thanks to a recent controversial Nielsen SoundScan ruling about counting digital sales, "Chinese Democracy" will not debut on this week's The Billboard 200 chart, but the following week, December 3.

-Blabbermouth-

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Von Solo wrote:

sandman, I think the specific numbers you've used to gauge something a success or not are ... inaccurate. Are you speaking specifically of the hype surrounding Chinese Democracy and how its success might be measured on a different scale? Because generally albums don't debut to the kinds of numbers you seem to think they do, no offense.

I'm with Sandman here.  Death Magnetic sold 490,000 copies in 3 days.  Black Ice sold over 1.7 million units its first week.  I consider Guns N' Roses on the same level as those 2 bands.  IF the sales pale in comparison, then I'm obviously wrong.  BIG acts still can sell shitloads of albums.  If GNR can't get anywhere close to those numbers then apparently they're not as big as I believe, and I'll be willing to admit that if that's the case.

I will say though, I don't think any of my friends BUY CD's anymore.  I've tried to push this on them, but they don't seem to be breaking, not even for GNR.  But they didn't buy Metallica or ACDC either so that shouldn't effect things.  Plenty of people still pay for music, the numbers prove that.  Maybe not as many as in years past, but the proof is there.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

^^ Metallica sold that many?? Wow, ok I'll up mine to 400K

Board footer