You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Predictions: 1st week U.S. sales will be...

faldor wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
boneshj wrote:
faldor wrote:

Black Ice sold around 1,762,000 units in its first week, shipping 5,000,000 copies worldwide. The album went number one in 29 different countries, including Australia, the United Kingdom and United States. In its first week, it sold 784,000 copies in the US alone, with it receiving a three times platinum certification in Australia and selling upwards of 110,000 in the UK. The band's 15th effort has been heralded as "the biggest debut ever by a mainstream hard rock album."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Ice_(album)

I could go and change it my self to 100 Billion albums.  That doesn't make it true.  The fact that anybody who actually registers on wikipedia can update, means everything needs to be taken with a grain of salt if it is on wikipedia.

No, the numbers are right. What was wrong in his initial post is that he failed to mention he was talking about worldwide numbers. The OP is talking about in the U.S. and that was what I was talking about as well when I said that it didn't sell 1.7 million in the first week. U.S. sales are what people care about. CD is going to be laughed at when it sells what I think it's going to (around 250,000-350,000).

Tejas, how about the Metallica numbers I posted?  Are those strictly US, 490k in 3 days?  Those must be worldwide too?

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
HiredGunz98 wrote:

In the U.S I think Chinese Democracy will sell 700k-800k and go Platinum in week 2 . World Wide 5 million in week 1

Your optimism is interesting. 16

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
faldor wrote:

Tejas, how about the Metallica numbers I posted?  Are those strictly US, 490k in 3 days?  Those must be worldwide too?

Nope, I think those were in the U.S. According to Wikipedia, that 490,000 number was reported on the Billboard 200. The Billboard 200 is only for U.S. sales. It's currently at around 1.3 million sold so far.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
HiredGunz98 wrote:

In the U.S I think Chinese Democracy will sell 700k-800k and go Platinum in week 2 . World Wide 5 million in week 1

Holy shit!  Where did you buy the stuff you're smoking?

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

I just read that they are claiming Black Ice had the biggest mainstream hard rock debut ever with 784,000 copies. I think that's a load of bullshit. They probably didn't even track the numbers very well back when UYI's came out. I bet each of them sold over 1 million, given the state of the music industry and the HUGE demand that there was for those albums.

sandman
 Rep: 30 

sandman wrote:
Von Solo wrote:

sandman, I think the specific numbers you've used to gauge something a success or not are ... inaccurate. Are you speaking specifically of the hype surrounding Chinese Democracy and how its success might be measured on a different scale? Because generally albums don't debut to the kinds of numbers you seem to think they do, no offense.

No offense taken. if you disagree, post what you think is accurate.

my numbers are based on two very recent album releases by bands that are in the same segment of the industry as Gnr.

Black Ice sold 784,000.
Death Magnetic sold 490,000 (in 3 days).

IMO, it doesn't matter how albums "generally" sell these days. those two albums i listed are the right benchmark.

huntermc
 Rep: 12 

huntermc wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

I just read that they are claiming Black Ice had the biggest mainstream hard rock debut ever with 784,000 copies. I think that's a load of bullshit. They probably didn't even track the numbers very well back when UYI's came out. I bet each of them sold over 1 million, given the state of the music industry and the HUGE demand that there was for those albums.

I just found this on an old Billboard article in reference to the Kanye/50 Cent releases last year.

Billboard wrote:

West's new album ranks 15th among all sales weeks since Nielsen SoundScan began tracking in 1991. The double punch provided by "Graduation" and "Curtis" also marks just the second time in that era that two albums have bowed in the same week with totals surpassing 600,000 copies.

The last such occasion was in September 1991, when Guns N' Roses' "Use Your Illusion II" led The Billboard 200 with 770,000 copies in the same week that the band's companion album "Use Your Illusion I" bowed at No. 2 with 685,000, a pair of numbers now beaten by West and 50's totals.

I should also add that these numbers were not long after they started using the SoundScan system, so they should still be comparable to modern day reporting. They started SoundScan shortly before Skid Row released Slave To The Grind, which changed the way that the charts were ranked, because prior to that they added in factors like radio airplay and copies shipped, etc. When SoundScan started, Skid Row made headlines because they were the first metal band to debut at #1 or something like that, thanks to SoundScan being based solely on copies of CDs sold.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
sandman wrote:
Von Solo wrote:

sandman, I think the specific numbers you've used to gauge something a success or not are ... inaccurate. Are you speaking specifically of the hype surrounding Chinese Democracy and how its success might be measured on a different scale? Because generally albums don't debut to the kinds of numbers you seem to think they do, no offense.

my numbers are based on two very recent album releases by bands that are in the same segment of the industry as Gnr.

Black Ice sold 784,000.

IMO, it doesn't matter how albums "generally" sell these days. those two albums i listed are the right benchmark.

Exactly, and if GNR can't come close to Metallica's 3 DAY number than it SHOULD be viewed as a huge disappointment.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
huntermc wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

I just found this on an old Billboard article in reference to the Kanye/50 Cent releases last year.

Billboard wrote:

West's new album ranks 15th among all sales weeks since Nielsen SoundScan began tracking in 1991. The double punch provided by "Graduation" and "Curtis" also marks just the second time in that era that two albums have bowed in the same week with totals surpassing 600,000 copies.

The last such occasion was in September 1991, when Guns N' Roses' "Use Your Illusion II" led The Billboard 200 with 770,000 copies in the same week that the band's companion album "Use Your Illusion I" bowed at No. 2 with 685,000, a pair of numbers now beaten by West and 50's totals.

Ah, thanks for finding that. So 1.45 million combined. Pretty good.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
faldor wrote:
sandman wrote:
Von Solo wrote:

Black Ice sold 784,000.

Exactly, and if GNR can't come close to Metallica's 3 DAY number than it SHOULD be viewed as a huge disappointment.

And it will be viewed as such. Should have done the exclusive at Wal-Mart. The album doesn't have a parental advisory so no issue with being edited and this is going to be one of the worst holiday shopping years in a long time due to the economy. Electronics stores like Best Buy are getting hammered right now whereas Wal-Mart has groceries and other necesseties that people will keep coming back to during an economic downturn.

Board footer