You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Re: Emo Dorks & The Hip Hop MTV Generation Today

Gunslinger wrote:

The quality of music has definitely taken a downward spiral, it's very disposable and forgettable.  Much of the blame is MTV pushing their own ideas of "cool" on easily-influenced teens but the blame also has to be given to rockers (like Axl) as well.  The bands that were worth anything started putting out music that was much lesser in quality, took longer and longer between albums or "sold out" for the sounds of the moment.  This left the door wide open for something (anything) to feel the void.  The kids today just don't have much to choose from.  If we had been given the same choices (lack of) that they have today who knows what we would like.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

Some of us found the grunge movement and the majority of '90s alt. rock to be disposable and forgettable. What's the good old days to some is just more of the same for the rest. I don't think music's taken a downward spiral necessarily. I think it's just sucked that bad for that much longer.

Gunslinger

Gunslinger wrote:
Von Solo wrote:

Some of us found the grunge movement and the majority of '90s alt. rock to be disposable and forgettable. What's the good old days to some is just more of the same for the rest. I don't think music's taken a downward spiral necessarily. I think it's just sucked that bad for that much longer.

I personally thought bands like Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Mother Love Bone, Pearl Jam, etc were hardly forgettable but I do respect a difference of opinion.

My question would be what bands of today would you put at the same level as those I listed?

slips
 Rep: 1 

slips wrote:

Why not celebrate diversity. Isn't today all about tolerance, and having an open mind?

slips

slips wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
Von Solo wrote:

I personally thought bands like Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Mother Love Bone, Pearl Jam, etc were hardly forgettable but I do respect a difference of opinion.

My question would be what bands of today would you put at the same level as those I listed?

Guns, Metallica, AC/DC, U2, Green Day.

Gunslinger

Gunslinger wrote:
slips wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
Von Solo wrote:

???? Bands of TODAY.  All these bands are of yesteryear.  I don't mean old bands with new albums.

slips wrote:

Why not celebrate diversity. Isn't today all about tolerance, and having an open mind?

Saying the quality is lesser isn't intolerance...it's taste.

slips

slips wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
slips wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

???? Bands of TODAY.  All these bands are of yesteryear.  I don't mean old bands with new albums.

slips wrote:

Saying the quality is lesser isn't intolerance...it's taste.

If you have an album today, doesn't that make you a band of today. As for the 2nd quote, I agree fully, I was only fucking with you. I hate 99.999999999% of music today, myself:peace:

It was funny the other day my niece was visiting,she's 17 and she got a text message and the ringtone was some really shitty music and so I asked her who it was and she said it was a band named Hinder or something like that,anyway it sounded like shit.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

^ was it "Lips On My Arsehole" I mean "Lips of an Angel" 16

Gunslinger

Gunslinger wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
slips wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

If you have an album today, doesn't that make you a band of today.

I guess it's a matter of opinion but I say not really.  It's old bands putting out new albums.  Not "bands of today".  So...where are these bands of today that equal any of those I listed?  I like music from almost all decades from the 60's until the 90's.  However I can't think of even ONE solid band from 2000 up.  If someone has a few they think is equal to the greats that came before I'd love to hear them.  That's not sarcasm, I'm serious.  I am always up for good music.

Board footer