You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: IF CD doesnt outdo Contraband

metallex78 wrote:

I think this is an unfair comparison. If Axl released CD under his own name or a new band name, then it would be more comparable to sales to VR.
But Guns N' Roses is/was one of THE biggest names in rock n roll and music in general. That alone should guarantee a few more sales for CD than say VR would get.

But that said, Contraband has more radio-friendly songs on it than CD does. And that's not necessarily saying Contraband is radio-friendly, but rather that 4 minute rock songs go over better on radio than 6 minute love-torn songs or industrial rockers do.

And I still think Contraband is a solid effort. 4 killer singles: Set Me Free, Slither, Fall To Pieces, Dirty Little Thing and the rest was solid as well. I still crank it from time to time and it's enjoyable all the way through.

Locomotive98
 Rep: 17 

Locomotive98 wrote:

I think the fact that Contraband debuted at No 1 on the Billboard 200 is ultimately a killer to Axl N Chums rather than the initial sales figures. In that respect it could be deemed a failure. The fact that a lot of fans bought more than one copy shows that interest is indeed not that magnificent. Hell theres one guy on MyGnr proudly displaying his 35 copies that he's bought. What a stellar investment! Bet he couldnt even get his Dr Pepper.

People will say though 'Oh VR had the curiosity factor', but I'd imagine that CD has a lot more curiousity and expectation having been a myth for so many years. 'Oh but it had no promotion!' Yes it did, its had the myth,  the  the GNR name, multiple tours, Dr Pepper etc etc. Every mention, article or jab over the years at CD has been promotion really - whether it be good or bad. Everyone knew about this album. Its just a shame that Axl and his cronies have spent so much time bitching about old members, fans, filing lawsuits etc etc instead of talking about the album.

The sad truth overall is that the final product doesnt live up to that myth in any way and the harsh reality is that its just not as good as it couldve been. Thats why it hasnt sold as many as everyone thought it would.

People know my views on New Gnr so I wont bother with that. Theres a few good songs on the album, nothing 'earth shattering' by any means. Theres also a lot of cringeworthy moments that make me skip songs and refuse to play it to other people. I dont like Scott Weiland particularly, and I didnt think Libertad was that great but in the grand scheme of things I honestly think that Contraband is a fresher, more solid album all over.

highend88
 Rep: 2 

highend88 wrote:

Even without promotion, I guarantee you CD will outsell Contraband...
Give or take 3 years max and if not, then I'll eat my shoe.

highend88

highend88 wrote:

Contraband only sell 2 Mil. The main question is can CD sell 10 Mil??
I don't think so without promotion.

bloodyhell81

bloodyhell81 wrote:

sales doesnt mean crap in my book i love cd as do many other people i dont care what other people think, i dont think axl cares about sales either already sold shit loads to best buy, although i think he wouldnt mind selling more than contraband.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Locomotive98 wrote:

Hell theres one guy on MyGnr proudly displaying his 35 copies that he's bought. What a stellar investment! Bet he couldnt even get his Dr Pepper.

are you serious!?

some peopel have too much $$$ and not enough brains 10

bloodyhell81

bloodyhell81 wrote:

give me some of that cash, damn 35 copies.

Locomotive98
 Rep: 17 

Locomotive98 wrote:
Neemo wrote:
Locomotive98 wrote:

Hell theres one guy on MyGnr proudly displaying his 35 copies that he's bought. What a stellar investment! Bet he couldnt even get his Dr Pepper.

are you serious!?

some peopel have too much $$$ and not enough brains 10

Yep, totally. He's got them all laid on on his settee, looking very pleased with himself. Hilarious.

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:

that doesn't work out to too much money...probably got a bulk discount...
what the fuck is he going to do with 35 copies of it....

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

prolly about $500 after taxes....thats alot for a Compact Disk 16

Board footer