You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: IF CD doesnt outdo Contraband

-D- wrote:

What if CD doesn't outsell Contraband?

Can one then say that Axl lost?

Its on pace right now to do what Contraband did first week and VR didn't have a brand name or all this hype........................

Maybe the old band will get the last laugh? I mean 2 million selling CB and a grammy

Does Axl have to compete with this?

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Sales don't mean shit. Neither do Grammys, so it means nothing.

Quality is what counts. CD is the best collection of music post "Spaghetti Incident" other than Izzy's solo stuff. That's how I see it. Izzy's 117 Degrees might be my favorite post-TSI release, CD included.

No one wins in this situation anyway. They've all proven to be losers in how childish they've been since the breakup, and we fans are all losers for buying all of their shit over the years and giving them ammo to continue their masturbatory "careers."

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

if it was about finances they would have put out 10 albums by now.

axl made the record he wanted to make. he is a winner.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

if CD doesnt outsell contraband then sales dont matter...if it does out sell it then everybody knew that GnR would be much more succesful than VR

If CD doesnt win a grammy then awards dont matter...if it does then the material is getting recgonized for its greatness

ya know.....kinda along the lines how Slash was a sellout for being on GH3 then when Axl put new material on RB2 then he was a genious

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

Yeah, the only good thing to come from a potential failure of the album is the fact that blind Axl supporters can be laughed at now more than ever.

bigbri

bigbri wrote:
Neemo wrote:

if CD doesnt outsell contraband then sales dont matter...if it does out sell it then everybody knew that GnR would be much more succesful than VR

If CD doesnt win a grammy then awards dont matter...if it does then the material is getting recgonized for its greatness

If sales and Grammys matter, Britney Spears and Beyonce are some of the greatest musical acts ever, right?

I stand by my opinion. Sales and Grammys are not barometers of quality.

Brett

Brett wrote:

But, bri... not saying it's you, but people won't shut up about Libertad flopping and said VR got all their sales out of curiosity. Now CD flops and it's about the art. Well, Libertad was pretty personal to Weiland (was it not?), but he can't flop and GNR can? It's dirty pool all around. I hate when people are inconsistent when a new idea suddenly becomes more convenient for them to agree with. It's proven time and time again in the GNR world, mostly by anti-Slash guys who say he's never branched out (and he fucking has) because he doesn't think he's in NIN. When he does branch out, he's insulted.

Contraband was a good album, I don't like the vocals 1/2 the time, but it was. That's why it sold that many.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

Chinese Democracy will sale more than Contraband...period.  I don't know about first week sales but LONG term it will sale better and with good reason...it's a better album.

Contraband sold in part due to a great single (Slither) but that was the best song on the album.  Only a couple other mediocre songs were left (imo) so the album cooled off.  With Chinese Democracy the first single is doing well and it is not the best song.  Better will be out soon and Street of Dreams is a sure fire hit.  There Was a Time, IRS, Sorry, and If The World are all possible hits as well.  This album may take longer but will sell quite a bit more in the end and will remembered long after Contraband is forgotten.  Liberturd...well I won't even comment on that piece of crap.

***This is NOT a dig at Slash fans.  I am a fan of both Slash and Axl, no sides taken, just an honest opinion.

bigbri

bigbri wrote:

Brett, I understand your point.

If you want to go by sales and Grammys, then Contraband is the benchmark so far.

Libertad was a flop. CD is gonna sell more in one week than it did during its entire lifespan.

Brett

Brett wrote:

I'm not really looking to see a benchmark at all. I just don't think the double standards all the time are healthy. It just seems that anything Slash accomplishes always has some piss poor excuse and yet Chinese Democracy can sell 300k (supposedly) and now opinions have twisted. Thing is CD and Contraband are such vastly different albums it's silly to compare them. I'm just working on a sort of baseline from point A to point B and how some people just make up their own path when it's convenient.

I didn't like Libertad at all, either.

Board footer