You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

Re: Chinese Democracy UNDER 300,000 copies sold first week?

BLS-Pride wrote:

Random performances would have boosted sales as well. To actually see the band perform the singles on some TV shows and what not would have gained more interest I think.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

The irony of this all....

The album is actually pretty fuckin' awesome.

Nobody cares without the top-hatted one. Combined with that, no live promo, it was also an awful week to release it, with Kanye, The Killers & Nickleback as major competition. It isn't due to a lack of interest in Guns N' Roses. Look at AC/DC, look at Metallica. It's due to a lack of interest in THIS Guns N' Roses.

bazgnr
 Rep: 4 

bazgnr wrote:

What I think is even sadder is that many - myself included - bought Velvet Revolver records because they were the closest thing we had to GNR, or that we might ever get again.  It's just been so long since we've heard from Axl himself, that many simply may not care anymore, regardless of who is playing alongside him.  I hope that's not the case.  Again, when I was in Best Buy, it was clear just how excited some of the people buying the record were, and it *is* a great record.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:

I won't bury this record until the New Year.....a lot is riding on Better. Personally, no big deal if it sells or doesn't sell to me. I have plenty of records in my collection that are flat out classics that didn't go Gold.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

The next couple of week's sales will be what I am REALLY interested in.  The exclusive Best Buy deal was a bad idea from the beginning.  In many ways however that's not that bad of a showing.  Was Contraband a one-chain exclusive?  Is Kanye competing on the same playing ground?  No, it will be the next few weeks that really tell us how successful (or not) Chinese Democracy really will be.  The fact it sold 50k more than Contraband would only be disappointing (imo) if it were not for the Best Buy exclusive release crap.

The Best Buy exclusive may actually help as time goes on, not so much in week one.  First week releases these days account for a majority of sales.  Being a Best Buy exclusive, Chinese Democracy will be prominently displayed for quite some time I'm sure.  So now that all the diehards (us) have bought the album, people who may have been on the fence or maybe not have known about it may stumble across it while shopping at Best Buy.  That's just a theory of course, if Kanye etc. continue to outsell it in the coming weeks then that wouldn't be a good sign.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Madas

U are missing a huge point though. For Axl to be validated in keeping the GNR name, he had to come out with a huge hit. Seeing as VR will outsell Chinese Democracy, have bigger hits "Slither/FTP" and they didn't have an already set Brand name, I think this is a big sign to Axl that he ISNT Guns N Roses.

The album is good but people are really pissed about the band not being the real band.

I've been on some non music websites and people are trashing the fuck out of Axl and the album.

Sky Dog wrote:

Well, I won't necessarily disagree. However, the album has been out for 5 days! You have no idea how this will play out. Like I say, you will know alot by New Years.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

just be ready to admit it if you end up being wrong. wayyyyy to early to make such a prediction IMO

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

It's shame really. Over here GN'R has always been a big seller. Almost 10% of the population owns at least one GN'R record. Yet the threads on the biggest music forum gets a measly couple of posts each days. The Metallica and AC/DC threads were huge compared to GN'Rs.

And it's such a great record.

Board footer