You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

Re: Chinese Democracy UNDER 300,000 copies sold first week?

jimmythegent wrote:

All I can say is that here in New Zealand, the Greatest Hits topped the charts for 5 consecutive weeks.

But this album, "the most anticpated in history" apparently, can't even topple the Greatest Hits of a mediocre, middle of the road local outfit. Very telling.

I agree with James - Joe and Jill Blow have spoken, and they are not fooled that this is anything other than an Axl solo album - which is exactly what it is.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
Bono wrote:

That could be but it seems like  a real moronic way to go about things in thsi day and age when it's all about hitting hard and hitting fast. People will lose interst in this thing before they even promo it?  Not smart in my opinion. We'll see I guess.

maybe. maybe not.

if it's so hard to maintain sales and hype in this day and age, why waste promo/money on the first week or so when the sales were gonna be good anyways?

i'm not saying i agree with the strategy or that it's gonna happen. just throwing possibilities out there.

another is that they did indeed know this was gonna be a mediocre sell considering the economy/times and there are more products around the corner.

that could be anything from a box set with new music to a reunion, obviously

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
faldor wrote:

To be fair then, wouldn't we have to consider Kanye West's new album a flop?  I mean his sales apparently are gonna fall far below what was previously predicted.  After all his last album sold 957,000 units its opening week.  Now he's not even gonna sell half that amount. 

I know we were all hoping/expecting huge sales.  But the economy is about as bad as it can get right now.  So if you want to consider the album a flop because it's only gonna sell 260k first week, you have to look at the overall numbers.  It's not like Kanye sold a million records, granted it looks like he's gonna double CD's numbers but I don't think the numbers are as bad as they look considering the times.  I know I'll probably get flamed for being an Axl nutswinger, or for making excuses, or more.  That's alright though, I can take it.  Let's be fair though, if CD is a flop, 808's and Heartbreak is too.

Yeah that's fair. Kanye though will likely have a few singles that will appeal to a wider audience. Plus he's got teh whole "club adavantage"  We'll know next week if it's due to a poor economic climate or not when Britney Spears releases her new album. If she goes upwards of a million copies in week one I thin the ecnomy theory is toast.

*guilty pleasure: I'm hoping Britney sells alot. 16 She's a nut but something about her makes me cheer for. 14

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

All I can say is that here in New Zealand, the Greatest Hits topped the charts for 5 consecutive weeks.

But this album, "the most anticpated in history" apparently, can't even topple the Greatest Hits of a mediocre, middle of the road local outfit. Very telling.

I agree with James - Joe and Jill Blow have spoken, and they are not fooled that this is anything other than an Axl solo album - which is exactly what it is.

I'll agree with that RIGHT NOW.  Let's face it.  Guns N' Roses haven't exactly been setting the world on fire for the last 15 years.  I think most people kind of forgot about them back in 1995 or so.  The album is out but if I didn't tell every one of my friends there's a strong possibility they'd have no idea.  As war said, hopefully it is by design that there's zero promo from Axl right now.  Maybe they feel like they can let the album sell on its own at first before they release a video, do interveiws, appearance, live performances, announce a tour.  I mean it's seriously WAY too early to pronounce the album dead.  Jill and Joe Blow may not be interested in Chinese Democracy right now, but that doesn't mean they still can't be won over.  That remains to be seen, IF the promo is eventually stepped up.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
Bono wrote:
faldor wrote:

To be fair then, wouldn't we have to consider Kanye West's new album a flop?  I mean his sales apparently are gonna fall far below what was previously predicted.  After all his last album sold 957,000 units its opening week.  Now he's not even gonna sell half that amount. 

I know we were all hoping/expecting huge sales.  But the economy is about as bad as it can get right now.  So if you want to consider the album a flop because it's only gonna sell 260k first week, you have to look at the overall numbers.  It's not like Kanye sold a million records, granted it looks like he's gonna double CD's numbers but I don't think the numbers are as bad as they look considering the times.  I know I'll probably get flamed for being an Axl nutswinger, or for making excuses, or more.  That's alright though, I can take it.  Let's be fair though, if CD is a flop, 808's and Heartbreak is too.

Yeah that's fair. Kanye though will likely have a few singles that will appeal to a wider audience. Plus he's got teh whole "club adavantage"  We'll know next week if it's due to a poor economic climate or not when Britney Spears releases her new album. If she goes upwards of a million copies in week one I thin the ecnomy theory is toast.

*guilty pleasure: I'm hoping Britney sells alot. 16 She's a nut but something about her makes me cheer for. 14

Cause Britney is hot and I'd stick it in her multiple times.

He wasn't going to come close to that 900K figure again cause he had no beef with another rapper and this really isn't a rap album he is putting out. I don't think its the economic climate. If this album had strucka nerve with people then it would have sold better.

But the public has already decided that this wasn't Guns N' Roses. If you think otherwise you need too start hanging with more people and getting out more.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
Neemo wrote:

better get your video camera ready BLS tongue 16

no biggie, its still good sales in my books

Haha. Hopefully my singing voice is nice and crisp. Wouldn't want to delay anything now. 16:haha:

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

Cause Britney is hot and I'd stick it in her multiple times.

14 yeah thats' probably part of it.... probably alot of it.

I watched a show on her last night and even though she's brought alot of it on herself I can't help but feel sorry for her just a  little bit. She wa so young when she became a megastar.  She's gotta be the biggest most pursued celebrity I've ever seen. She seems really sad. Like she's a prisoner. She even admits to hating how she must sound when she "complains" about it but she makes a good point. There's celebrities and then there's Britney Spears. The girl basically has THE life and NO life all at the same time.

yeah I just highjacked a thread to talk Britney 16

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

Still doesn't mean much to me.  My interest is the number of units sold within the first couple of months, in particular the first month.

How many would it have sold had it not been a Best Buy exclusive?  Best Buy isn't exactly on the same level as say a Wal-Mart. 

I still say it will do better (by a million or so) than Contraband did when the smoke clears.  To me that's successful enough.  I never thought it would be the 10 million units sold like some people dreamed of.  I guesstimate it will sale 3-3.5 million copies.

Keep in mind that the target crowd will NOT be the downloaders like most of us, it will be the guys who still buy cds at Wally-World or wherever.  I was in Wal-Mart today buying some stuff (for fuck's sake STAY AWAY from Wal-Mart until after Xmas...it's HELL!!!) and a Forty-ish looking "good 'ol boy" was looking for the album.  This isn't over.

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

Well, this thing will be lucky to push an additional 25K next week.  Best Buy should be ashamed of their efforts--pathetic.  They may have decided to write this thing off the books--as they need as many write-offs as possible (just about every U.S. retailer does right now--we are on the verge of the 2nd Great Depression).  This also, combined with Aguilera's exclusive Target bomb, may make Azoff think twice about these exclusives.  He struck gold with the Eagles and ACDC (Wal Mart, 4000 of them, and the demographics match up), but struck out with CA and GNR.  GNR has many fans in rural areas of the US, and they cannot afford to drive three hours both ways to buy the album, and don't have high speed internet.  I still cannot believe, though, just how pathetic Best Buy rolled this out--they did virtually nothing to push this, and in fact, almost hid the thing from the first hour onwards.  Pathetic!   

The material is there, and Axl should have released this thing in 2000 or 2001 as a solo record--where it would have pushed platinum status and would not have leaked, and would have been critically acclaimed. 

Anyone who thinks they will see GNR live again, without the top-hatted one and Duff in the mix is out of there minds.  As far as GNR is concerned, it's reunion, permanent hibernation, or bankruptcy.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

its sad to see the fans slowly turn for the negative...i'm not giving up yet though...its still early

Board footer