You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: Chinese Democracy UNDER 300,000 copies sold first week?

-D- wrote:

Well, its essentially a new band as really none of the songs sound like GNR.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Even if the heavy amount of Best Buy shoppers helps CD, I still think Axl had to come out of the gate with a hit, a #1 album, and it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Thus the reason for the exclusive deal. They knew this would probably happen. There were rumors for awhile the label was trying to sell the album. The money was sunk into it, no way to climb out of it, and they did the Best Buy deal to get their money upfront, so now, financially, it becomes Best Buy's loss.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

its the biggest shopping season of the year, cant hurt it

I've been telling you peopel for years that we cant expect huge huge numbers from this thing, but ya never listened 16

300,000 sales is pretty good...its better than i figured

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I don't see how it could hurt.  I'd have to say it will help.  Best Buy paid big bucks for the exclusive so I'm sure they'll have it prominently displayed throughout the holiday season.  People shopping at Best Buy for other things will no doubt come across the display and might possibly make an impulse buy.  Whereas, the merchandising of Kanye's CD and other new releases won't be as favorable.  You'd have to actively search those out.

faldor

faldor wrote:
Neemo wrote:

its the biggest shopping season of the year, cant hurt it

I've been telling you peopel for years that we cant expect huge huge numbers from this thing, but ya never listened 16

300,000 sales is pretty good...its better than i figured

I wonder if it would've sold better in week 1 if it wasn't exclusive at Best Buy.  Obviously it would've been more widely available, thus increasing chances and exposure, so I'd have to think it would have sold more.  How many more though?  I guess we'll never know.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

people usually arent gonna go into a store and pick up a kayne cd and a GnR cd and go...gee which one do i want? they are light years apart in terms of audience and genre's....its not like there is a competition here between gnr fans and kayne fans...even though we'd like to think there is

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Well, its essentially a new band as really none of the songs sound like GNR.

Yeah, but the public really don't know that. As long as you have Axls vocals and some heavy guitar people will accept it.

It's basically shitty promotion. The reviews have been decent and people are craving for old school rock. Where are the stories and happenings? Where are the interviews? Where's the video?

The only thing the name thing does is limit the word of mouth since it's cool to hate Axl, especially among the "real" rockers that worship Metallica and everything louder. It's cool to hate Britney and Westlife too. Don't mean you can't force people to buy it. It's just a matter of good marketing. Hate is better than ignorance. Hate is attention. It's automatic promotion.

He can go on for years about how great this album is going to be and how much he cares about Slash. He can go to strip clubs and disney lands when he should've made up on his promises to finish the album, but when the thing actually happens he decides to lock himself up like a dead man?

That's not good enough Axl.

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

OHHHHH MAHHHH GAWWWDDD. I totally didn't expect this!

And on a serious note, it sold way better than anyone could have hoped for and who the heck really cares? The album is fine and it's out. That's better than anyone could have hoped for earlier this year. It gets annoying hearing about what an obvious failure Axl is...

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Nobody's forcing you to read.

We had more promotion when the album wasn't coming out. It's asinine.

faldor

faldor wrote:
Neemo wrote:

people usually arent gonna go into a store and pick up a kayne cd and a GnR cd and go...gee which one do i want? they are light years apart in terms of audience and genre's....its not like there is a competition here between gnr fans and kayne fans...even though we'd like to think there is

That is true but my point is there are people who aren't necessarily fans of Kanye West who might get the urge to try out his new CD.  The same could be said with GNR.  In Best Buy though, since they have exclusive rights to Chinese Democracy, it'll be much easier to find and more prominently displayed than Kanye's CD.  So after this first week, which is the week diehards would go out and buy either disc, GNR should sell more than Kanye on exposure alone.  Not saying that WILL happen, but it would stand to reason.  Of course, a little more promotion wouldn't hurt.

Board footer