You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BurningHills
 Rep: 15 

Re: Chinese Democracy UNDER 300,000 copies sold first week?

BurningHills wrote:

BEFORE ANYONE ELSE COMMENTS...

#3 is NOT a bad showing with regards to who topped them on the charts.

Kanye West - arguably the biggest rapper in the country right now, and he will be for a very long time to come.

Taylor Swift - THE ABSOLUTE BIGGEST STAR IN COUNTRY MUSIC RIGHT NOW. Everything that she touches turns to gold and platinum. She has a HUGE teenage fanbase that will buy ANYTHING that she releases. Her debut CD came out nearly two years ago and it's STILL a top 5 country album on that chart.

Given the circumstances, #3 is a more than respectable opening week for C.D.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Lil Wayne is the biggest rapper in the world.

It just pisses me off that a shit rapper like Lil Wayne can sell over a million in it's first week a few months ago and Axl can't even reach 300K.

And given the hype and the time and the cost number 3 is bad. This should have been a number one album. If only Axl wasn't missing and we actually had the wheels in motion.

At least it killed Scott's solo album. He only sold 10,500 and landed at number 96. 16

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

axlcrazy
 Rep: 4 

axlcrazy wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
Neemo wrote:

well its doing better than GH did...thats promising big_smile

and its even with contraband which went double platinum....there is hope still folks, the developments over the next couple months is important

AND as I've preached all along this is with BEST BUY EXCLUSITIVITY, I personally think that HURT the sales.  Anyone know how long this exclusive deal lasts?  Also has anyone heard Better yet and is the video rumor a reality??

Better is in heavy Rotation on the rock station here in Raleigh NC.:mosh:

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Chinese Democracy is Officially A Stiff
by Paul Cashmere - December 4 2008
photo by Ros O'Gorman

So the final figure for Guns n` Roses `Chinese Democracy` and at 261,200 sales and a number 3 debut in the USA, it can officially be called a fuck-up.

Just to qualify that conclusion, 261,200 sales in one week for nearly any other act would be a brilliant result but Guns n` Roses isn`t any other act.

Any other act doesn’t spend 15 years and $14 million making an album. Any other act doesn’t do the album, then re-do the album, then re-do the album again. Any other act doesn’t tie up a studio for 5 months just to get the new drummer to replicate note for note everything that the departing drummer just did perfectly.

No folks, ‘Chinese Democracy’ is a fuck-up because considering all of the self-indulgence and over-indulgence and all of the hype that went into it, it was greeted predominately with a yawn from the general public.

Not since Michael Jackson’s ‘Invincible’ has an unlimited cash-flow black-hole like ‘Chinese Democracy’ tanked so bad.

And now, the finger-pointing will begin.

The big question that is already being asked behind closed doors is who fucked it up?

Everyone involved with this Rock n’ Roll Titanic will be scrambling for a life-boat.

Did it tank because of the Kevin Cogill, the guy who leaked the downloads?

Did it tank because of Best Buy, the exclusive retailer for the album in the US?

Did it tank because of Axl taking too long to put it out?

Did it tank because Axl didn't do any publicity for it?

Did it tank because it just isn’t very good?

You can be sure that all of these questions are being asked at a very senior level today but don’t expect any answers.

The good thing is that ‘Chinese Democracy’ was finally released so we can put that all behind us now.

Will there ever be another Guns n’ Roses album? Let’s hope only if it is from the real Guns n’ Roses band. I’m up for another 15-year wait. Are you?

http://undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=7060

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
BurningHills wrote:

BEFORE ANYONE ELSE COMMENTS...

#3 is NOT a bad showing with regards to who topped them on the charts.

Kanye West - arguably the biggest rapper in the country right now, and he will be for a very long time to come.

Taylor Swift - THE ABSOLUTE BIGGEST STAR IN COUNTRY MUSIC RIGHT NOW. Everything that she touches turns to gold and platinum. She has a HUGE teenage fanbase that will buy ANYTHING that she releases. Her debut CD came out nearly two years ago and it's STILL a top 5 country album on that chart.

Given the circumstances, #3 is a more than respectable opening week for C.D.

Yeah dude but that was Taylor Swifts "2nd" week out.

I could see and agree with u if it lost to her debuting. It should never lose to someone in their 2nd week of sales.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Buzzsaw, I have two questions.....

Are you a writer at undercover.com?

Is your name Paul Cashmere?

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Buzzsaw, I have two questions.....

Are you a writer at undercover.com?

Is your name Paul Cashmere?

No, but it sounds like he has been reading my posts over the years and stole the material.  It may not be an unbiased article, but it's fair and likely pretty accurate...kinda like my posts.  Well, most of them at least.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

axlcrazy wrote:

It's a start. Fire up This I Love and Scraped next.

If this album is going to tank, let's do it with our best face on.

I am appalled that Axl has not promoted this thing. UMG apparently has no motivation to sink a single dime into this album considering they are getting a bundle of cash frontloaded.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
killingvector wrote:
axlcrazy wrote:

It's a start. Fire up This I Love and Scraped next.

If this album is going to tank, let's do it with our best face on.

I am appalled that Axl has not promoted this thing. UMG apparently has no motivation to sink a single dime into this album considering they are getting a bundle of cash frontloaded.

I'm certainly no expert on the music industry, but maybe there was some agreement ironed out between Axl and Uni regarding promotion. Axl backed out of his part of the deal, so Uni just stopped giving a shit.

Makes a bit of sense considering how this has transpired.

I agree with your idea of just unloading single after single. Its obvious this didn't get done right, so take a scorched earth strategy and just throw it all out there and see if anything sticks.

They are morons if they don't market This I Love or If the World to the easy listening crowd. If the album is gonna pick up steam, its more likely to do it in that area.

Board footer