You are not logged in. Please register or login.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

Re: Chinese Democracy UNDER 300,000 copies sold first week?

DCK wrote:

I wouldn't push as far as some of you armchair experts do.

The album is up to par with any of the Illusions albums. Lies album and Spaghetti album is far off this quality too. The only album it comes short against is AFD and that was to be expected.

I said so 5 years ago that when this album would come out, you would have a mass percentage of fans being disappointed by the music. The expectations were so hilariously huge that it would be impossible to come thru even if you had Slash and Duff in the band to make songs. In the end, it's simply music, and in this case music Axl wanna make because that's the direction he wanna take.

Now, I agree with you on one thing. The album lacks the last punch. The WTTJ or the SCOM. It got Brownstones, It's so easy's and a whole bunch of Rocket Queens too, but where is the number one hit single? Is it "Sorry"?. Very close to something but it's a ballad. It should have been a rocker. The rocker isn't there. That's what it lacks. This I Love is a masterpiece. The Blues should be forgotten. It's a lackluster song. Rhiad And the Bedouins too. It's album filler. But then again, GNR always had these lackluster shitty songs on all their albums. Don't idolize the past and forget the crappy old GNR tunes we never listen to. When the fuck did I listen to Anything Goes the last time? 2001? Chinese Democracy got an overall quality better than anything they released except AFD. And you can't compete with AFD. It will stand in history as the best rock album of all times. It will never be beaten.

And, we totally screwed it up by listening to all those leaks. Imagine having all these songs coming to you NOW and not between 2001 and 2006. Would your approach be different? Damn fucking right it would be.

But after listening thru, you sit there and you think; "where's the last song"? because you expect a smashing hit thing coming to you. Instead they release Chinese Democracy as the first single.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

There is a lot of negativity in this thread, I will try to ground it a bit.

First, the record is very good. It definitely is a good mix of styles (maybe needed one more rocker and one less ballad) and contains many genuinely exceptional musical ideas. Axl's dour attitude tends to bleed deep on many tracks and I think that mires the message down a bit. This is not a bright and happy record by any means.

The sales projections are downright dismal for a GnR record. 300k opening week barely eclipses Contraband. The number I am more worried about is the 2 million albums CB sold; that record had solid legs and reaped sales off of two very solid singles. Can CD do that? I don't think it can.

The BB exclusivity is no doubt compromising sales. If the album is in more stores, more people will buy it. Simple grade economics. But because the album's availablity is constained, it is absolutely dire that the band and the frontman get out there and promote. People need to know where this record is, what is on the record, and why they should buy it.

Compounding this problem is the fact that public opinion of Axl is not very positive. Years of unanswered lies, media biased news stories, and Axl's own self centered behavior has created an atmosphere among average rock fans that Axl is an egomaniac who killed the old band, then couldn't make a good enough of one on his own so it took him 3+ producers, $13 million, and 15 years to create 15 songs. There is much more to this story, but no one will ever hear it if the man being held with his rear end to the fire for the disintegration of a great band has fireproofed himself from any media attention.

At the end of the day, this is Axl's bed to lie in. Years of procrastination, re-tooling the retooled parts of extinct band members, and fighting with insurance companies, record label lawyers and himself have forced him to accept a compromising distribution deal. Essentially a bail out for Universal music. Axl traded  total album sales for room on Universal's credit card. Unfortunately, he may have that card taken away by the end of this album's run.

It is a damn shame really. The album is exceptional. CD may not have been a great choice of first single, but I always viewed it as an appetizer. If Axl ever invites himself to dinner ( he had a habit of leaving even those who attended his birthday party hanging ), everyone can see why this man is an exceptional music talent.

sandman
 Rep: 30 

sandman wrote:

the negativity on this board is as boring as the axl nutswingers we have to deal with on other boards.

it's a shame that supposed music fans are missing the point.   

despite the contraints of a record lable contract, Axl made the album he wanted to on his terms. no made-for-radio bullshit. in fact, i'd call these songs the opposite. and he does no promotion. BUT, he managed to get a major retailer to pay millions for it up front. unbelievable really.

and in a time when things are more fucked up than ever in the industry, fans of music should be applauding him.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

when your last album was a relative flop.. you can't wait 15 years to drop the next one and expect it to sell like the cure for fucking cancer...
there was no buzz,aside from the fucking fan boys/girls...
not only have they dropped the promo ball... they fucked up a perfect scenario 6 years ago. the spin cover... gnr on everyone's lips after the vma's... there was a massive buzz and they pissed it away... oh well. it could be worse.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

The album overall is better than the Illusions BUT this album doesn't have a November Rain or Estranged or Coma or even a You Could Be Mine

VR's rockers are better than GNR's rockers.

Seriously, Slither eats and shits out Rhiad,CD and whatever else.

The ballads are great but Im not sure any of them will cross over and be mega successful. I wish they'd try with THis I Love....we will see.

That would work with a really awesome video.

U know, I am back negative as fuck and it is only because of the piss poor way all of this has been handled.

we should've known back in 2002 though when Axl fucked up the most opportune comeback moment, that nothing would ever go smooth.

If Axl looked and sounded like he does now and did the 2002 VMA's and released CD a few months later, It would've been HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Im afraid he missed his window

killingvector

D-Machine wrote:

VR's rockers are better than GNR's rockers.

Seriously, Slither eats and shits out Rhiad,CD and whatever else.

The ballads are great but Im not sure any of them will cross over and be mega successful. I wish they'd try with THis I Love....we will see.

That would work with a really awesome video.

I think your VR/GnR view is a bit subjective. I personally bored to tears by the rockers on CB/Libertad and found their ballads easier to digest. With no hesitation, I would put up CD at a party if I want aggressive rock songs. Riad is a very aggressive rocker and I think it is better than any on either VR record.

But your opinion is as valid as mine and I respect your taste.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Releasing CD as the first single was as stupid as u can get from an organization and shows how Axl's Ego and delusions are out of control.

What else could he have released? Its not like he has three Jungles and released Think About You instead. CD is one of the only semi catchy songs on the album. His only other legitimate option was Better, and that is next in line for the firing squad. Its already been released in some areas and has did nothing. Once Better is out of the way, its either Riad, IRS, Scraped, or a  ballad.

The rocker isn't there. That's what it lacks.

That's true, but I don't think it even needed a Jungle type rocker. It simply needed a catchy pop tune to connect with the masses. For years I have said this album was gonna need a Vertigo type single to save it. Well, it doesn't have one. Closest thing to that is Better, and I honestly cant see that doing any damage in this day and age. That song begs to be a single in 1996.

This I Love is a masterpiece.

I disagree, but I do believe the album may have to latch on to that song for its survival. This will probably be my only comparison to Extreme, but they're gonna need a 'More than Words' type strategy here. Release that as a single on the easy listening stations and see if it takes off. Its sort of false advertisement but its a way to get that market to buy the album. If that works, a similar strategy can be used with If the World.

This isn't a rock album, and shouldn't be marketed as such.

Imagine having all these songs coming to you NOW and not between 2001 and 2006. Would your approach be different? Damn fucking right it would be.

Imagine having all these songs in 2001 or 2002. Would have had a totally different impact.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
sandman wrote:

the negativity on this board is as boring as the axl nutswingers we have to deal with on other boards.

it's a shame that supposed music fans are missing the point.   

despite the contraints of a record lable contract, Axl made the album he wanted to on his terms. no made-for-radio bullshit. in fact, i'd call these songs the opposite. and he does no promotion. BUT, he managed to get a major retailer to pay millions for it up front. unbelievable really.

and in a time when things are more fucked up than ever in the industry, fans of music should be applauding him.

Applauding him? Please. For what? Not doing promo? Alienating a large number fo his fans?  Making a record that fans can't even agree on?  Making a record that sounds over produced and poorly produced? There's tons of big name bands that make the album THEY WANT TO MAKE, even with big label contracts. Axl isn't a pioneer in 2008.  Axl didn't do anything extrordinary here. More like extrodinarily dumb.

killingvector

I think Better is the gateway song for this record.

According to a guy who mods the Buckethead board, there are three different videos in the can for Better. He said we should expect to see a vid for Better.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
killingvector wrote:

I think Better is the gateway song for this record.

According to a guy who mods the Buckethead board, there are three different videos in the can for Better. He said we should expect to see a vid for Better.

I actually think Sorry  might be the song that breaks through big on radio. I honestly think it'd fit real well on modern rock radio, it's got Axl's familiar voice and it's got a sing along type chorus. Plus lyrically it's intrigueing. Sorry might be the best choice for single on the album.

Board footer