You are not logged in. Please register or login.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

Re: Chinese Democracy UNDER 300,000 copies sold first week?

I hope Sorry will become a single. It is a strong track. For some reason, I think Scraped would see the light of day before Sorry.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
sandman wrote:

it's a shame that supposed music fans are missing the point.

I don't think anyone is "missing the point". I think just about everyone(spanning all boards) agrees that its a damn good album. Some think its the greatest thing since sliced bread, some just think its a good album. I have seen very few people say its a shit album.

What you are seeing now(here and at other sites) is reality setting in that this isn't gonna eclipse the galaxy. As DCK mentioned, there have always been crazy expectations for this. Now that its really happening, people are going to react to it.

sandman
 Rep: 30 

sandman wrote:
Bono wrote:
sandman wrote:

the negativity on this board is as boring as the axl nutswingers we have to deal with on other boards.

despite the contraints of a record lable contract, Axl made the album he wanted to on his terms. no made-for-radio bullshit. in fact, i'd call these songs the opposite. and he does no promotion. BUT, he managed to get a major retailer to pay millions for it up front. unbelievable really.

and in a time when things are more fucked up than ever in the industry, fans of music should be applauding him.

Applauding him? Please. For what? Not doing promo? Alienating a large number fo his fans?  Making a record that fans can't even agree on?  Making a record that sounds over produced and poorly produced? There's tons of big name bands that make the album THEY WANT TO MAKE, even with big label contracts. Axl isn't a pioneer in 2008.  Axl didn't do anything extrordinary here. More like extrodinarily dumb.

the fact that things like promo and making a record fans can agree on (whatever the hell that even means) are important to you, tells me that we'll have to agree to disagree.

if you don't like the album, that's fine. there's rarely universal agreement on any album. but i have to disagree when you say he's dumb. if it was THAT important to him, he'd be out promoting it.

i'm starting to think that people are just so angry that they can't figure this guy out. in an industry where everything is simple and obvious, i think it frustrates people that there's alot that's unknown.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
sandman wrote:

the fact that things like promo and making a record fans can agree on (whatever the hell that even means) are important to you, tells me that we'll have to agree to disagree.

if you don't like the album, that's fine. there's rarely universal agreement on any album. but i have to disagree when you say he's dumb. if it was THAT important to him, he'd be out promoting it.

i'm starting to think that people are just so angry that they can't figure this guy out. in an industry where everything is simple and obvious, i think it frustrates people that there's alot that's unknown.

fair enough on the agree to disgaree part but I just fail to see what we should be applauding him for unless it's soley for the music and you happen to like it. I mean if he doesn't wanna promote this stuff fine. Drop the name and become and indie solo artist. What frustrates me is people who seem to think that Axl's odd behavior is some type of quirky genius that we just can't figure out? Nah man it's become clear as day the guy is no genius aside from being musically talented yet people still cling to this ridiculous notion that somehow Axl is just smatter than everyone. The simple and obvious is simple and obvious for a reason.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
sandman wrote:

I don't think anyone is "missing the point". I think just about everyone(spanning all boards) agrees that its a damn good album. Some think its the greatest thing since sliced bread, some just think its a good album. I have seen very few people say its a shit album.

What you are seeing now(here and at other sites) is reality setting in that this isn't gonna eclipse the galaxy. As DCK mentioned, there have always been crazy expectations for this. Now that its really happening, people are going to react to it.

Great Axl Rose solo album, shit GNR album....

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Great Axl Rose solo album, shit GNR album....

BINGO!!! Gn'R were bigger than the sum of their parts(just like U2:P)

This would be a decent solo effort but it's a shit Gn'R effort.  I'd still rank it 6 outta 10 though. Changing the name won't change my feelings on the songs.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Well, he isn't better than Queen or Elton John either.......   I wish he would just be "Axl Rose", he sounded much more original then.  I give the man credit for trying, and he did sing his ass off.  Its when people call this the greatest album ever and its not even close to the best GNR album ever.  Its a decent album with some really good songs, and then songs like Shacklers, Scraped, RNTB, and Catcher in the Rye...

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

I like this record a whole lot better than Illusion I, but I will need a few years to fully consider that comparison.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
sandman wrote:

the negativity on this board is as boring as the axl nutswingers we have to deal with on other boards.

despite the contraints of a record lable contract, Axl made the album he wanted to on his terms. no made-for-radio bullshit. in fact, i'd call these songs the opposite. and he does no promotion. BUT, he managed to get a major retailer to pay millions for it up front. unbelievable really.

and in a time when things are more fucked up than ever in the industry, fans of music should be applauding him.

I'm liking the album alot, been listening to it constantly since Sunday...jsut to drink it all in

for me its a bit light on rockers but its to be expected really...axl was always the ballad guy in GnR and now that he has sole control over the band then i think we'd be niave to expect anthing else

as far as proclaiming doom and gloom i think its wayy to early. its eclipsing CB for first week sales and that went 2x platinum in the end...right now its the rock world's best kept secret because not many know about it yet because Axl has done no promo yet...and i beleive he will do it but for one reason or another that door hasnt opened yet.

I'm wiating for the ball to get rolling, with a name brand as big as GnR they must have some cards to play still...this cant be the end, i've always said that they will wait for units to move before investing much more into this project...well the units are moving lets jsut enjoy the ride, just because we are in uncharted waters doesnt mean that those waters are the bermuda triangle

we're always so quick to jump on Axl's case why dont we just wait and see what his plans are first....its been 5 days, thats like a minute in Axl-Time 16

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Neemo, good post.  I hope you are right.  But why in God's name, with a "now" society we live in, would you gamble and wait to "really" promote it and get behind it?  Makes no sense at all.  Every decision they have made has been about the money, namely the timing of the release.  Today was Black Friday, the time was NOW to promote this album.

Board footer