You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: The Star Wars Thread *NO SPOILERS ALLOWED!*

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

^^

I think that's how everyone feels Russ.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

^^

I think that's how everyone feels Russ.

Well not everyone. Phatnom sucks real bad, Clones was terrible(maybe even worse than Phantom) and Sith is just ok. The new triology just fucking blows and has none of the charm the original does. I have very low expectations for a sequel trilogy because I know what to expect now. 

the live action TV series might be cool though.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

the past couple years i have really grown fond of the prequel trilogy

i mean the lightsaber scenes alone are outstanding, and if you pay attention you can see the breakdown of Anakin's good sense, i know the part in Sith where it all seems to really some to a head, but there are little things in all three movies that move anakin toward that point, the Clone wars animated series just helps set up everything that much more

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I just can't get over how ridiculously cluttered and cartoonish everything in the prequels is, or how shitty the dialogue is in them.

Bono

Bono wrote:
Neemo wrote:

the past couple years i have really grown fond of the prequel trilogy

i mean the lightsaber scenes alone are outstanding, and if you pay attention you can see the breakdown of Anakin's good sense, i know the part in Sith where it all seems to really some to a head, but there are little things in all three movies that move anakin toward that point, the Clone wars animated series just helps set up everything that much more

Dude the lightsaber battles in the prequel are absolute shit compared to the original trilogy in my opinion. The original ligtsaber battles were fueled by some pretty wicked emotions via the dialogue and the actors actions/body language as well as the enviorment. Plus there was always a sense that there was something on the line. The new trilogy battels were  ballet with swords. tap, tap, tap, spin, pose... tap, tap, tap in enviorments that looked like cut scenes straigt form a video game.  Plus it never felt like anything was truely on the line.  None of the new battles even came close to matching the intensity in Empire or Jedi, or even New Hope. They almost got it right in Sith but sadly Georges Lucas turned the second half of that battle into a joke. Swashbuckling heros swinging on ropes, balancing on hoverboards, climbing towers that were falling over and stupid fucking robots flying up and getting scared of the action and flying away. It was pure trash man. And Yoda with a lightsaber was the dumbest fucking thing ever. roll

I mean honestly. The cinematography, the emotions, the atmosphere, everything about the orginal battles is better in my opinion.

As for Anakin's turn yeah you could see it coming but how stupid was it in Sith when  Anakin suddenly decides he's gonna kill all the Jedi and younglings and Obi-Wan when 5 minutes earlier he was prepared to arrest or even kill Palpatine.  I do like the animated Clones Wars series but I don't need the animated series to set me up for the prequel trilogy. It's not rocket science what's about to happen and to be honest I think Georges did a poor job in evolving Anikins story. It was there but he was obviously more concerend with how CGI he could make everything than truely develping Anakin's character. I don't understand at all how you can be fond of the new ones but to each their own I suppose.

Communist China wrote:

I just can't get over how ridiculously cluttered and cartoonish everything in the prequels is, or how shitty the dialogue is in them.

Absolutely. Isn't it sad that movies made 20 years earlier had better special effects. And you're right. The dialogue in the new ones was cringe worthy most times and tolerable at best.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Now that I will agree with. The dialogue, especially in Phantom & Clones is downright cringe-worthy at times, especially the Anakin/Padme stuff.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

you guys are nuts....the prequel Lightsaber duels are fucking amazing, expecially in EpIII is awesome the passion that Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christianson have in the climactic duel rules, Anakin's arrogance is well played and ends up being his doom, the still one thing is ObiWan leaving him to die in agony....kinda fucked up

the CGI environments are fucking sweet if you ask me, not just the environment htough all of it is mindblowing, hell most of that sabre duel in Sith is COmputer rendered, even ObiWan and Anakin themselves

the darth maul duel is awesome too, Qui-Gon shows consumate patience and composure befitting of a Jedi, Obi-Wan is tense and fighting to control his emotions as a student, and Darth Maul is just seething to kick some ass

and lets not forget yoda's battles in 2 and 3

the orig ones are cool dont get me wrong, but the lightsabre fights dont compare...mark hamill flailing around with no idea of what he's doing, compared to professionally choreogragphed sword fights? c'mon!

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

finally got into star wars: the force unleashed this weekend...how fucking cool is that game?!

Bono

Bono wrote:
Neemo wrote:

you guys are nuts....the prequel Lightsaber duels are fucking amazing, expecially in EpIII is awesome the passion that Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christianson have in the climactic duel rules, Anakin's arrogance is well played and ends up being his doom, the still one thing is ObiWan leaving him to die in agony....kinda fucked up

the fight itself was good untill it got stupid. Like I said it went from an intense man on man battle into some stupid swahsbuckling Musketeer bullshit. Georges took all realism out of it and that's sad considering we're watching Star Wars.

Neemo wrote:

the CGI environments are fucking sweet if you ask me, not just the environment htough all of it is mindblowing, hell most of that sabre duel in Sith is COmputer rendered, even ObiWan and Anakin themselves

This does not make it better at all. The dog fights in the new ones are also all CGI and they blow in comparison to the dog fights in New Hope, Emprie(the asteroid field scene) and Jedi. Having humans CGI renderd takes the human element out of it. It looks like a damn video game. Flashy lights ment to distract you from the lack of substance. 

Neemo wrote:

the darth maul duel is awesome too, Qui-Gon shows consumate patience and composure befitting of a Jedi, Obi-Wan is tense and fighting to control his emotions as a student, and Darth Maul is just seething to kick some ass

Way too many far away scenes. Plus Jedi's falling hundreds of feet landing on their backs,  rolling off the next edge and grabing on to save themselves. Then rejoining the battle by jumping up hundreds of feet. C'mon. STUPID. Not to mention the fact kicks are laneded  that clearly never make any contact with the enemy. The very end was pretty cool but again it ended on such a  lame note. Darth Maul clearly won the battle yet Obi-Wan pulls it out with the most unrealistc of unrealistic comebacks. That ruined it.

Neemo wrote:

and lets not forget yoda's battles in 2 and 3

Fucking terrible. Nothing more than a terrible attempt at comedic relief. Yoda bouncing around like a super bounce ball was lame as hell.  The fight with palpatine was so aweful and the fight with Dooku was almost as bad.

Neemo wrote:

the orig ones are cool dont get me wrong, but the lightsabre fights dont compare...mark hamill flailing around with no idea of what he's doing, compared to professionally choreogragphed sword fights? c'mon!

I think you mean choreographed dance numbers rather than sword fights. Dude a real life sword fight would not be choreographed. The fact it feels like you're watchinga  choreographed dance....errrr sword fight  is a major flaw in those scenes.  the original battles are much cooler and much more intense cause Mark Hamel is flailing away as though his life is on the line, not as though he's expecting to Darth Vader to compliment is pirouette.

The lightsaber battle in the new trilogy that was pulled of to perfection was Qui-Gon vs Darth Maul in the desert on Tatooine in Phantom Menace. That was epic. Short but epic. It's too bad the rest of the them failed so miserably to live up to it.

Other than that we'll have to agree to disgree which I do very strongly. the new ones have no character, no feeling, very, very little emotion. They're all about  flashy lights and special effects as compared to the originals which are all about character and emotion.

Board footer