You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Re: The Star Wars Thread *NO SPOILERS ALLOWED!*

There's a big difference between GNR and Star Wars. GNR had stops and starts, false promises, bitter relationships, and when it finally came out it was without fanfare or expectation. Most of the album had already leaked, and there were several cancelled tours.

If ChiDem dropped in 01-02 without any leaks, then it would be a comparable situation. Fans already knew what they were getting, or at least had heard from media sources about it. Episode I was a mystery beyond the trailers, so people had to go see it to know.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Bono wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

If all the old Star Wars fans hate the new trilogy, then why did all three films destroy the fuckin' box office?

Somebody HAD to like them.

Actually nobody had to like anything for it to destroy the box office. The new trilogy made money off the back of the original triilogy's legacy. FACT. Honestly no way in  hell a Star Wars fan doesn't go see a new Star Wars movie. 25 years of hype dude, people had to go see it. Now whether they liked it or not is a different story but you can't like or dislike something before trying it out.  I venture a guess that  as much as 75% of original diehard Star Wars fans were, are and always will be pissed with the farce that was the new trilogy.

Fair enough

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Communist China wrote:

There's a big difference between GNR and Star Wars. GNR had stops and starts, false promises, bitter relationships, and when it finally came out it was without fanfare or expectation. Most of the album had already leaked, and there were several cancelled tours.

If ChiDem dropped in 01-02 without any leaks, then it would be a comparable situation. Fans already knew what they were getting, or at least had heard from media sources about it. Episode I was a mystery beyond the trailers, so people had to go see it to know.

You're right about Episode I, but plenty of people still went to see Episodes II and III even after all the bad press, reviews, etc.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
faldor wrote:

Well, there were a few GNR fans who didn't buy Chinese Democracy after that long saga.  I believe you fall into that category.  Not trying to start anything, but just pointing out that there IS a chance in hell that a Star Wars fan didn't go see the new movies.

There is NO chance Star Wars fans didn't go see it. 

Communist China wrote:

100% correct.

monkeychow wrote:

For me it's cos I was trying so fucking hard to like them.

I can't tell you what starwars ment to me as a kid. I loved that stuff. I'd waited for years for the new movies.

When the first one sucked I figured it was a fluke and things would pick up.

Afterall the idea of Darth Maul was kinda cool, like a lightsaber staff, even if they killed him off for no reason. Had to just be a fluke bad luck - i mean george lucas made SW and INDY - no way he could do something this shit right? Maybe it was me.

Then when the second one sucked I figured maybe it would be ok by the third cos vader would be back. I mean it's fucking vader. That has to fix a movie.

Then in the third vader was half his normal height and crying out "no" like some kind of emo version of a B movie.

Normally I enjoy sequals to see what other writers do in the same universe and to expand the characters and so on. But those new starwars movies killed nearly everything cool about the old ones and added in nearly nothing cool themselves. Really really disillusioned with the whole franchise since. And it's even by the same writer. I mean WTF.

Seriously if you'd purposely tried to fuck the series and make a bad movie it would only be marginally worse. It's hard to fathom.

I agree with everything you just said. Vaders "Nooooo" was pathetic.  I agree even if they purposely tried to fuck it up it would be marginally worse like you said. The sad fact is, like you I tried so hard to like them. I wanted to like them. I saw Phantom Menace in theatres 9 times because I was such a fan of the original series and I guess part of me thought if I gave it time and more chances I'd grow to like it.  Plus all my friends wanted to go to see it and they wanted to see it with the guy they knew as a Star Wars fan. Believe me I wasn't going because I liked it but rather because I was trying to like it. The sad reality is I cringed more and more every time I watched it. I saw Clones and Sith one time each in theatre and I don't own any of them on dvd. I tried real fucking hard to like these movies but I just couldn't. It would be like puting me down and making me try to like a Lil'Wayne record. No matter how badly i could want it, it would never happen(thankfully 14 ).

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i honestly had no intentions of seeing phantom menace in theatres, well i want going out of my way to see it, but in the end i did go and since i had absolutely the lowest of expectations in it i was honestly pleasantly surprised, the worst of the bunch for me was Ep2, just cuz it just seems a CGI Lovefest, i didnt really feel the plot moved at all and that there was alot of pointless sub plots, IMO Ep 3 should've been 2 and ep 3 shouldve been Vader travelling the galaxy killing a bunch of Jedi with Yoda and Obi-Wan popping up nowe and then only to escape defeat by vader, i mean killing Tuskan Raider and the inferred killing of younglings was a bit of a cop-out IMO...Ep2 would've been a good plot to include in the current cartoon series...but done is done i suppose...at the end of the day Ep2 fits, but it did take me some time to warm up to it...and i still think that my idea woulda been a better set of movies 14

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Neemo,

you'd probably like Michael Kaminski's The Secret History of Star Wars, originally published as an ebook and later as a genuine article at Amazon.com.

"A main feature of this book is the examination of how the more contemporary facets of the Star Wars saga, most notably the notion of Anakin Skywalker and his fall to the dark side and subsequent redemption by his son Luke, were totally absent from the earliest versions of 1977’s Star Wars—even the finished film itself.

From the “historical background” established in that first film, George Lucas  combined characters and concepts and retroactively altered those in that film with revelations in the subsequent films, building, movie bymovie, a series that, by 2005 when said “revelations” were complete, had absolutely no relation to the story contained in the initial 1977 film but still used its content and plot in the construction of the new storyline."

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

thanks apex dling now, always interested in reading about starwars...read a george lucas bio years ago, and was thinking about picking up carrie fishers bio (though i realize it deals more with her personal demons than starwars) and her show is available on demand right now too, was thinking of watching it

i do know that lucas has ideas that are shelfed for a time then fleshed out later....skywalker was intiailly to be called starkiller but star killer was too evil sounding so it was shelved...years later starkiller shows up in the force unleashed

which Force unleashed is a great game...recently beat the sith edition of the game there is a choice you make at the end...for the light side or the dark side

Hidden Text:

if you choose the dark side and kill vader there is a sequence of events that lead to an alternate reality...you search tatooine as starkiller for c3p0 and r2d2and ultimately end up killing bobafett and obiwan, the second part of it is that you travel to hoth and fight luke and ultimately turn him to the dark side

i got force unleashed 2 for xmas so i'm just getting into it now...its a beautiful game the visuals are amazing

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Neemo wrote:

read a george lucas bio years ago, and was thinking about picking up carrie fishers bio (though i realize it deals more with her personal demons than starwars)

Postcards from the Edge is certainly more about her manic-depresiveness / drug abuse, which, at the end of the day, remain more pivotal subjects to her on a personal level. Truly a sorry story, the lady has had trouble even leaving the house up to this day.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

found a used copy of the DVD of 8 episodes from the 1985 animated "Droids" series...watching it now smile

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

found a keychain to match my starwars tattoo smile

Board footer