You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: The Star Wars Thread *NO SPOILERS ALLOWED!*

polluxlm wrote:

Official reviews are out. Overwhelmingly positive so far.

I don't think that's a sign of great strength though.

AtariLegend wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I don't think that's a sign of great strength though.

It isn't always.

24 hours to go for me, got my self hyped a few minutes ago by listening to Bucket playing the Star Wars soundtrack at Boston 02 on my I pod tongue.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

You don't get it until tomorrow? Opens today here. In Oslo they are in the middle of the premiere as we speak.

I'm glad I adjusted my expectations. Am actually getting a bit excited now.

AtariLegend wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

You don't get it until tomorrow?

First showing at my local cinema is midnight and I'm not going at midnight without other people.

First run of actual showings is 13:00 tomorrow. I'll be there, hopefully I avoid the school kids.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Just came back...

I don't know what to say. It's like I'm in the Twilight Zone. Whatever drug these critics are taking I need it.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Just came back...

I don't know what to say. It's like I'm in the Twilight Zone. Whatever drug these critics are taking I need it.

Yeah, the fan/Internet reaction has been nowhere near as enthusiastic as the critics. But I suspect the general audience will eat it up as they do with every other generic blockbuster these days.

I haven't seen the film yet, but Abrams is historically a director who makes good popcorn films and nothing else. I'm hearing quite a few complaints of rehashed elements from A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back. Almost seems they took the fans too much to heart on all the complaints about the prequels. "Let's give them a total rehash of the originals! That's the ticket." 16

johndivney wrote:

I went last night.
Nodded off a few times.
Did feel a lot like of it I had seen it all before. Story veered a bit too close to originals as opposed to just references/homages. It was like a checklist, oh & here's the cantina scene now..
& the ending was a little.. Uncomfortable? Weird?

AtariLegend wrote:

Some quick/rushed thoughts.

johndivney wrote:

& the ending was a little.. Uncomfortable? Weird?

The ending would have been suitable if it was a classic.

Hidden Text:

If they have Luke though train Rey like Yoda next film then kill off Luke, I will not be pleased.

The film is very good (but) and I'm ashamed to admit, I did let the nostalgia overwhelm me a few times. There's too many plot holes and characters conveniently meeting/crossing paths which would be fine if there's alot happening/to get too. However it seems like there's 30 minutes missing after the final scene.

I think I need to see this again to judge it fairly. It hits alot of the right notes, but it also hits notes it doesn't need to hit in it's quest to pay tribute to the originals.

Hidden Text:

Han's death was shockingly un-impactful (is this a word?). It was too predictable and it's only purpose seems to be to make the villains look like they actually done something. Why introduce another version of a death star/base only to blow up? The bad guys are complete pussies and Kylo Ren (despite getting a cool introduction) goes down hill the minute he removes his mask. Can they really get 2 more films of a trilogy out of these guys?

The story is an afterthought, but it's still Star Wars. Superior to the prequels by default, but still... Expectations too high here.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I wont be seeing it until dec 28...seems like a lifetime lol

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Go ahead and spoil the fuck out of it. I loved the original trilogy when I was a kid but haven't watched it since. I watched the prequels for Natalie Portman. I'll check this new one out for shits and giggles but do not have high expectations for it. Like I said before, this trilogy should have happened in the 80s and if not, should have happened late 90s/early 00s instead of the prequels. The prequel concept could have happened years later.

You cant believe ANY reviews in this day and age. Reviews are bought and paid for now. The mainstream horror sites do this too. As long as the various studios are giving them perks and other crap, they'll say ANYTHING is great. Its why I avoid them like the plague now.

Wrap your stuff in spoiler tags of course but could you guys go into more detail. I know many were wondering what Luke's role was going to be in this.

The story is an afterthought

That's sad. Millions of people have wanted this for 30 years and THIS is the approach they take? So basically something that should have properly added to the original trilogy is just safe popcorn fluff designed to rake in a few billion. They should be ashamed.

Atari.....that last spoiler of yours tells me this is really going to be a shit sandwich.  If you watch it again I hope you check out the torrents instead of giving them more money. This film would shatter records no matter what so they should have put more effort into telling a great story instead of just throwing something together to rake in a few billion. Unbelievable.

edit: I'm gonna wait a few months for the insane hype to die down before watching it.

AtariLegend wrote:
Hidden Text:

Why introduce another version of a death star/base only to blow up?

That's laughable.

AtariLegend wrote:
Hidden Text:

Han's death was shockingly un-impactful (is this a word?). It was too predictable and it's only purpose seems to be to make the villains look like they actually done something.

Yeah that looks like its supposed to be shocking but I have a feeling in hindsight it will be considered a huge mistake.

AtariLegend wrote:
Hidden Text:

Can they really get 2 more films of a trilogy out of these guys?

Absolutely. They can do anything with the trilogy and people flock to theaters in droves and that's the problem.

Board footer