You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: The Star Wars Thread *NO SPOILERS ALLOWED!*

Neemo wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Neemo wrote:

picked up the clone wars animated series season one on DVD today

pretty good deal cost me about $40

Wow, where at?

walmart carries it for $39.87 up here...went to futureshop (cdn bestbuy) who guarantee lowest price by 10% and they dropped their price from 59.99 to 37.87 cool

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
Axl S wrote:
Neemo wrote:
Axl S wrote:

One thing I don't mind him doing is continuing it on after Episode Six.

that story is already told

Heir to the Empire trilogy, by Timothy Zahn basically Luke has been trainign Leia, who is pregnant with twins (fathered by Solo), a new admiral is ressurecting the remnants of the empirial fleet and also is searching for dark jedi to help the empire regain controlof the galazy from the republic

Granted it was done in "Expanded Universe" material, but to be honest Lucas could just do what he wants and dismiss anything that disagrees as not canon. Like I said earlier, the closest Lucas can get to a clean slate story wise is continuing the story. If he does prequels more chance of fucking up already established characters and contradicting his later plot points. Continuing eliminates that risk and gives him a much larger scope.

but ford, fisher and hamill are getting on in age now, and i think ford already said that he wasnt intersted in portraying Solo again. additionally lucas said that episodes 1 thru 6 were all that he had envisioned for the series and everything in those films is everythign that needs to be seen to tell his story

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

managed to find a copy of the 2003 clone wars series as well.. 2 disks $10 each

may have to dust off my old ewoks VHS tapes as well and do a marathon 16

Mike
 Rep: 13 

Mike wrote:

I've always been a Star Wars buff myself. I had many of the SW toys from the mid-nineties as a kid, I'll never forgive myself for not taking care of them well and getting rid of them. I'm not harsh on the new trilogy, they're definitely not masterpieces but they weren't bad enough that they tainted my love for the original trilogy.  The one thing Lucas did that bothered me was the "sister twist" in Return of the Jedi. I think what would have worked better if Leia was a descendant of a past Jedi knight (perhaps Qui Gon Jinn's niece) which would've explained why Yoda knew there was "another hope" and Leia using the force to find Luke at the end of Empire Strikes Back.

I loved the Battlefront video games, I hope soon they'll make Battlefront III or some bad-ass Star Wars game, with online multiplayer too. Imagine the insults that would be exchanged between the Loyal SW fans and the anti-Lucas SW fans, lol!

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

There were a lot of books written, but I don't believe any of them continued Lucas' story.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I was a huge starwars nerd as a kid and I think the problem is that he's changed what he says over the years.

I'm pretty sure initally he was saying that the original trilogy where the middle part of a much larger story and he gave a throw away line in a couple of interviews suggesting that there's 3 prequals and 3 sequeals...which is the origin of the idea I think.

My understanding is that when he wrote a new hope - originally he was going to try and fit Empire and Jedi into that film too...but when he began fleshing out the script realised it was too massive and shelved them. In the process of those he developed larger story arks in his mind (without actually writing them out i think) and so these ideas where what he'd casually refer to as going to be 1,2,3 and 7,8,9, in a maybe maybe one day but i'm busy with indiana jones these days kind of way.

However by the time he actually started episode 1 in the 1990s all talk had been changed to there 6 films and this is the prequal 3. So i guess maybe either I misunderstood the talk of 7,8,9 or he just decided somewhere that the story ark was complete this way with 1-6 and there was no need to go further.

I'm not much for startwars novels...but I will say that amongst the first batch of novels lucasarts seemed to license (before there was like 100 in every store) was a trilogy by Timothy Zahn called "Heir to the Empire", "Dark Force Rising" and "The Last Command". Although not by lucas..and so not cannon in a way....they follow on directly from ROTJ and make a decent go and continuing the characters and the story. So if you are hankering for 7 8 9 they make a fair substitute.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:

Timothy Zahn stuff is part of the Star Wars Expanded Universe. And believe it or not, Lucas told Zahn what way he wanted the story to go, and let him make up the rest those books made up the Thrawn Trillogy

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timothy_Zahn

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Expanded_Universe

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I was a huge starwars nerd as a kid and I think the problem is that he's changed what he says over the years.

I'm pretty sure initally he was saying that the original trilogy where the middle part of a much larger story and he gave a throw away line in a couple of interviews suggesting that there's 3 prequals and 3 sequeals...which is the origin of the idea I think.

My understanding is that when he wrote a new hope - originally he was going to try and fit Empire and Jedi into that film too...but when he began fleshing out the script realised it was too massive and shelved them. In the process of those he developed larger story arks in his mind (without actually writing them out i think) and so these ideas where what he'd casually refer to as going to be 1,2,3 and 7,8,9, in a maybe maybe one day but i'm busy with indiana jones these days kind of way.

However by the time he actually started episode 1 in the 1990s all talk had been changed to there 6 films and this is the prequal 3. So i guess maybe either I misunderstood the talk of 7,8,9 or he just decided somewhere that the story ark was complete this way with 1-6 and there was no need to go further.

I'm not much for startwars novels...but I will say that amongst the first batch of novels lucasarts seemed to license (before there was like 100 in every store) was a trilogy by Timothy Zahn called "Heir to the Empire", "Dark Force Rising" and "The Last Command". Although not by lucas..and so not cannon in a way....they follow on directly from ROTJ and make a decent go and continuing the characters and the story. So if you are hankering for 7 8 9 they make a fair substitute.

I watched a Star Wars doc on History Channel, and Lucas stated that he wrote this big massive film in the early 70's, and suddenly realized it was too big for one film. It was in fact, all SIX Star Wars films from Menace on up to Jedi.

So he broke them down into six films, and started shopping Episode I. Fox didn't like Episodes I, II or III, but liked Episode IV, so they took it on. And they moved on to Episodes V & VI for sequels. And for awhile that's all Fox was interested in, and Lucas just deemed Episodes I, II & III was un-interesting, and shelved them. Then in the early 90's, he dusted them off, refined them, and started pushing for a prequel trilogy for Episodes I, II & III.

There were never any plans for Episodes VII, VIII & IX, because Episodes I-VI have been written, at least in concept, since the early 70's.

Like you said, Lucas has said SEVERAL things, and went back on almost all of them. I don't know if this is true or not, but it was what I was told by him on TV.

Board footer