You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Re: 8 reasons why Chinese Democracy stiffed

Reason 5 is my favorite. I agree totally. Madagascar is a song that at its best (which was 7 years ago) was 'pretty good' and the fact that a song like it could survive for years and makes the CD-era material look thin and weak.

I'm usually against a "15 years for this?" argument against CD but when I hear Maddy (which I may never again) or IRS I can't help but think "How did they never stumble across a better song than this?"

Madagascar is a song that was designed to be an epic, it is forced and unnatural. The whole album fits into that - it's meant to have weight and meaning and self-reflection, but really it just has clutter and extra bloating.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

this is not a joke or smart remark:

to those that feel this material is less than fantastic, please tell me where i can find grand and epic rock music like madagascar from gnr.

it is my favorite song and am really missing out if it is not that good of a song cause it sure is better than anything else out there that i have heard.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Dream Theater's epics make Axl look like some cover band frontman working the local bars in SCRANTON.

the song Madagascar is the most boring song I have ever heard,I never listen to that song anymore,it's not that good but it would have been alot better if Axl had re-recorded the vocals.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

grand and epic like maddy?  doesnt exist cuz maddy aint either.
recycled samples.. after 15 years is that the only way he can get the old fans attention, with "what we got here"....
i dont mind samples in songs, just not a whole book worth

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

cool - thanks axlin08

slash_mckagan - agree on the vocals. i was dissappointed when i heard the final cut.

mickronson - thanks for nothing  14

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I still enjoy the Maddy from RIR3, thats the oldest of the lot.

The demo sounded stale and soul-less compared to live versions, and I was gutted to find the final version was as flat as the "demo".

I'm a little drunk and stoned, but I have been listening to music all night. Its been great, I dug out all my old vinyl and been sitting having a private party. (me and my whisky)
I have been listening to all genres and I tucked away the turntable after a few hours and threw on the Chinese democracy CD because I was tired changing records. I was really fired up for listening to it, but it didnt sound that great to be honest. I found myself skipping songs and not finishing songs, it was ok, but not much more. I got to TIL and half way through turned it off, I had had enough.
For an experiment I put on Estranged straight away and it sounded fucking awesome. It was so rich, the drums, the bass and all the guitars, the vocals! It was great, it sounded like an amazing band.
The stuff beforehand didnt sound like a band, it was all so sterile and contrived

Mabye the album isnt doing as well as everyone predicted because it just doesnt sound good enough.

For all the raz-a-ma-tazz and fancy musicianship, it still sounds a little boring.

Honestly, if Sorry is considered one of the best and most single worthy then the album is fucked. I'm a huge GNR fan and I find it pretty mundane, god knows what joe bloggs would think of it.

WeTheLiving
 Rep: 10 

WeTheLiving wrote:

I agree maddy seems overblown. The MLK speech is too much-and the sad thing is  that there is a buckethead solo behind that speech. I like the vocal melody in the verse but the song lacks a big hook. The length seems forced and the MLK speech totally kills the song IMO. Also, whats up with the vocals, i think Axl's vocals in the RIR 3 was better and thats live-i dont see why the "final" version sounds like this.

BurningHills
 Rep: 15 

BurningHills wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Dream Theater's epics make Axl look like some cover band frontman working the local bars in SCRANTON.

Whoa - I'm from Scranton. Easy now. 16

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I watched "Home Alone" last night, and the city 'Scranton' stuck out in my head from that scene with John Candy and the Polka players. 14

Board footer