You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Chinese Democracy Chart Positions Thread

Neemo wrote:

just checked the singles charts

CD was #74 on the billboard canadian top one hundred....dropped from 58 last week

Sky Dog wrote:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/c … &g=Singles

CD #19 and Better #20 again on the Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Charts....still hanging in there.

The album is #30 on the Billboard album chart this week.

fyi, this Billboard info comes out every Thursday-officially. World Chart sales always come out on Friday. To me, these are the 3 most important charts to track the album's success...or lack thereof! wink

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Maybe they can take the Better video and just change the song and release it as whatever the next disaster single is going to be.  Releasing a Better video now would be a waste.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

GnR was #8 top selling artist in Canada in 2008 according to Nielsen SoundScan Canada..thats pretty good

01. AC/DC (557,000)
02. COLDPLAY (418,000)
03. METALLICA (404,000)
04. NICKELBACK (279,000)
05. JACK JOHNSON (254,000)
06. CELINE DION (234,000)
07. TAYLOR SWIFT (233,000)
08. GUNS N' ROSES (221,000)
09. MADONNA (215,000)
10. IL DIVO (214,000)

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … mID=112059

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

Two songs in the top 20, the album still well in the top 40 after 6 weeks (#30) and number 8 top selling artist in 2008 for Canada. I don't think it's the huge failure many claimed.  I remember several people saying it would fall of the charts quickly.  After six weeks being #30 I'd say it isn't doing all that bad all things considered.  If this album even had a LITTLE realistic promo it's hard telling what could have been but I still say we'll see platinum by spring.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

Two songs in the top 20, the album still well in the top 40 after 6 weeks (#30) and number 8 top selling artist in 2008 for Canada. I don't think it's the huge failure many claimed.  I remember several people saying it would fall of the charts quickly.  After six weeks being #30 I'd say it isn't doing all that bad all things considered.  If this album even had a LITTLE realistic promo it's hard telling what could have been but I still say we'll see platinum by spring.

If the songs were 5 and 14 on the overall singles list, I'd agree with you.  The songs are 19 and 20 on a sub board (mainstream rock), not the overall singles chart.  Let's also note that Metallica (off the album a lot have said sucks) has 2 songs ahead of them on that same chart.  The album is 30 (down from 25).  That's embarrassing for a brand (yes, brand, not band) like Guns N' Roses.  How many of the 29 above them have been out as long or longer?  21.  Let's put the numbers into some perspective.  21 albums have been out as long or longer and are still pushing more copies than they are.  Want to know one of the albums that beat it this week?  The 99 Most Essential Beethoven Masterpieces.  Ouch.

Yes, #30 is better than I thought it would be at this point.  That doesn't mean it's not a failure, it just means it's not quite the failure I thought it would be.  I still consider it a huge, huge failure.  Nobody in the real world is talking about it and people here aren't really talking about it anymore either.  We can't even get more than a couple GnR threads going and one of them is an elimination thread.  The wrestling thread is the most interesting thing going on here, and everybody here loves GnR in some way or another.

It's time to face the fact that the album is a failure.  There are many reasons for this and not all of them are related to the music.  Even though I hate a lot of the songs, I can see compelling cases for the album being strong musically (I don't agree, but people have made solid cases stating this).  Let's not start hanging our hats on "it's not as big a failure as some people thought it would be" because a failure is a failure regardless of the proportion of it.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

^ I think the point Slinger is making is that after a month and a half its still lingering on the outskirts...with the doom and gloom i think some people figured that by now the album would be dead and forgotten...its not the greatest but its there in some capacity...another thing i read today was that CD is the #3 hard Rock album in Canada and has held steady for 3 weeks at that spot under NickleBack - DarkHorse (1) and AC/DC - Black Ice (2). Death Magnetic (4) and Rise Against - Appeal To Reason (5) round out the top 5

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Charts/METAL.html

thats pretty good IMO though i suppose it depends on what you care about Canada's hard Rock fans 16 ... i think its safe to say here that most GnR fans dont give 2 shits about the hot 100 singles, i know i dont...for me its always been where this album stands in the Hard Rock Category

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

and on the subject of Hard Rock Charts...its faring even better on the US Hard Rock Chart...@ #2 up from #5 last week...so its still there in some capacity...and the GH continues to sell...that still shocks me

1 - Nickelback - Dark Horse 
2 - Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy
3 - Metallica - Death Magnetic
4 - Kid Rock - Rock N Roll Jesus
5 - AC/DC - Black Ice
6 - Hinder - Take It To The Limit
7 - Guns N' Roses - Greatest Hits
8 - Hollywood Undead - Swan Songs
9 - Slipknot - All Hope Is Gone
10 - Saving Abel - Saving Abel

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/c … ock+Albums

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I agree that with massive promo it would have sold better. On the other hand: without the Guns N' Roses brand name and the 17 year wait, it wouldn't have sold anything. People bought it for curiosity and to show some support after all the years. They won't do it next time, when the 'second part of the trilogy' comes out. The CD follow up will bomb. CD's sales would be considered respectable, if it wasn't a Guns N' Roses album. Since it is a Guns N' Roses album, it's very poor.

Sky Dog wrote:

Mikka, yada yada yada......same old song and dance, thread after thread. Last I checked, Axl was a big part of creating that "brand" name and he currently owns the right to use it. It is what it is. If he wants to make albums that don't sell up to your standards, he is well within his right to do so. 19

Board footer