You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Disecting Chinese Democracy: Album Art

Neemo wrote:

^I know that what he translated the figures under the new logo and he said they were guns n roses ... there is a whole bunch through the booklet too though, i'm assuming they are song titles in chinese but i was gonna get confirmation

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:

not sure...busy looking for his post too now...

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:

same. i agree with elmir. Although I do think the bike being chained up represents the opression in china(oh noes now we'll get blocked lol) and that the Guns N' Roses graphittied in the back ground stands for the freedom and f#@k the system attitude the GN'R name holds. Just my thoughts. o and the Red Star makes me think Infanticide.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

For all those saying the booklet seems rushed because of all the mistakes.  I have lots of CD's that contain incorrect lyrics, incomplete lyrics, or no lyrics at all.  I'm not saying that was intended in this case, I'm just saying it's hardly the first time it's happened.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

ok so the album's chinese characters are being translated as we speak....i cant guarantee 100% translation as the person i got doing it said that she may not recognize them all..but whatever she can translate she will

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
faldor wrote:

For all those saying the booklet seems rushed because of all the mistakes.  I have lots of CD's that contain incorrect lyrics, incomplete lyrics, or no lyrics at all.  I'm not saying that was intended in this case, I'm just saying it's hardly the first time it's happened.

Well I guess Axl cleared up that the booklet was indeed rushed and wasn't meant to contain the errors.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

so i got the translations back from my freind's wife

This is what she said they all mean, nothing too exciting. Don't hold me accountable for these translations, its just what i've been told by a freind 19

pg 5 - Street of Dreams
pg 6 - Institution of Democracy
pg 9 - Scraped
pg 10 - Democracy
pg 11 - Democracy
pg 14 - IRS
pg 26 - This I Love

Dreamline has already said that the ones under the new Logo say Guns N Roses.

The only ones i'm not sure on is the spine of the Jewel Case .... I'll check that out tomorrow

Dreamline
 Rep: 64 

Dreamline wrote:

Heh.  Sorry guys.  I had planned to do thread about it and got sidetracked somewhere.

I'm fluent in Japanese, not Chinese.  Japanese uses many of the same characters and variations of characters that Chinese does, but obviously it's not the same language.  So this is based on my knowledge of Chinese characters, some internet research, and also from talking to a Chinese translator that works at my company.

I should figure out a better layout for this, but anyway...

Page 5:
kanji4fo7.jpg
First 2 are "dream", second 2 are "street".  "Street of Dreams"

Page 6:
kanji6pe8.jpg
"China's democratic (political) system."  I didn't notice this myself, but my Japanese GF said that this is crappy caligraphy - the individual characters are not well-balanced.  She says it looks like someone who doesn't know Chinese wrote it while looking at something.  Take that for what it's worth.

Page 9:
kanji2dk5.jpg
Had to look this one up.  "To scrape"

Page 10-11 (both the same):
kanji5rl9.jpg
Chinese Democracy.  Technically, I think it says China Democracy, but don't quote me on that.

Page 14:
kanji3ms4.jpg
The character for "Yuan", I think, which is the currency of China.  Can also mean "money", which explains its use on the IRS lyrics page.

Page 15:
(The image I had was shitty)
Madagascar

Page 16:
kanji7sj8.jpg
The character for "love".  Appropriate, but translating it to "This I Love" is a stretch IMO.

And finally...the bottom of the new logo:
kanji4fo7.jpg
"Democracy"

And the spine of the jewel case:
kanji1dx1.jpg
Guns and Roses.

This is interesting though.  It does say "Guns n' Roses," but I think it's "wrong."  I made this image to show how I think the band name is actually written in China:
kanji9gl7.jpg
Basically, the 2nd character is different, but both mean "and."  However, this version gets about 87,200 hits on Google, while the album version gets only around 7,500 hits.  When I first started translating these - back before the album release when we only had the leaked liner notes, I believe there were even less hits.  Incidentally, the online translator Bablefish spits out the version that is on the CD jacket. hmm

At any rate, that's my interpretations.  Neemo....you sure your buddy asked his wife? tongue  I really disagree with some of her translations.

Board footer