You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Disecting Chinese Democracy: Album Art

Neemo wrote:

Ok this is a new little game we can play that we havent done before, cuz well, the album just got released a couple weeks ago....in a series of 16 threads we will talk about the album art, the liner notes and songs 1 - 14

in this series of threads i would appreciate it if we could abstain from the same old same old comments about sales figures, reunions and what ever else permeats the reast of the gnr sections these days.

I'd like to get really into the whole album here....leave no stone unturned so to speak...comparing the album and songs to other gnr albums or side projects is ok...but in good taste please...also comparing the finished songs to the leaks...what we liked that was added, what we wish didnt get removed...that sort of thing...ok let's go!

when this thread has slowed down (if it ever picks up 16 ) then i will start a new thread about the first track.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

I'd like to say that the album artwork itself is ok...for me the interior is more appealing than the exterior, i like the chinese themes to each page, the chinese landscapes in the backgrounds, the gold lettering which sparkles....Dreamline (or anyone) have the chinese figures been translated yet?

and what the hell is that behind pitman? is it a chinese dragon? like the costume that several people where for parades? its hard to make out...i'd also like to commend George chin for the great band photos of each member

of the actual art peices, like i said the actual cover is alright, nothing spectacular, the cross on the inside back page is nothing special either, maye the full size peice is more impressive? i dunno....over all the favorite artpeice on the album is the star with the little red people on the back...its pretty damn cool stuff..its too bad another peice from the same artist couldnt have been used for the backing of the disk tray instead of a pixelated version of the bike

The CD itself is neat though it reminds me of an album i've seen elsewhere...rage or pumpkins or something...i cant place it at the moment

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:

i hate the booklet artwork...its neither innovative nor is it well executed....the overall color combination is ok, but too many amateur errors in there to make it worthy of the content on the disc itself...

on Frank's page, there is a low res graphic (clearly diffed off a website somewhere) and never properly resized for print, so it has pixelated edges...uncool...

typography just plain sucks, whoever did this is a layout person and not a graphic designer worthy of any mention, let alone a credit on the sleeve...

the "bought" artwork is what saves it for me, the photograph on the cover is great, the Red Star painting is awesome and Sasha Volkova's Red Cross is very very cool....other than that, its a poor poor effort...

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I pretty much agree with what Elmir said.  It was obviously thrown together quickly with little thought put into it. Had they actually taken their time with it, it probably would have been analyzed for years. Its just a bunch of random photos and generic Chinese shit thrown together.

The actual album cover isn't that bad. It does help reinforce the point this album was ready for release six years ago as its the same album cover he mentioned back then.

The star is pretty killer, and in my opinion should have been the album cover. It stands out more than the bike pic.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Good thread Idea.

I like the album art - although I would have maybe had the bike pic and just chinese democracy written on the side...as the "Guns N Roses" was already written on there in the spraypaint....

The missing words are annoying too as the cool thing about a booklet is the lyrics. Otherwise its great.

GNRBABY
 Rep: 4 

GNRBABY wrote:

I think the pic of Axl sucks, there are better to choose from. The artwork feels rushed.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

I like the album cover and the red star. Quite evocative

The insert however, is amateur-hour personified

It literally beggars belief that an album which supposedly had every detail laboured over, is riddled with such unprofessional inaccuracies

A major disappointment that in hindsight, set the tone for this whole release

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

i have a freind at work...his wife is from China nad i'm gonna see if she can translate some of the figures for me...maybe ask her what her impressions of the overall layout of the art is, as far as chinese authenticity go

i just hope the album title itself of some of the imagery doesnt offend her hmm

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:

Dreamline translated it for us...the symbols literally say "GNR" and "Chinese Democracy"...at times it says "Guns n Roses"...

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
elmir wrote:

Dreamline translated it for us...the symbols literally say "GNR" and "Chinese Democracy"...at times it says "Guns n Roses"...

wow...when did he do that? i totally missed that post 17

Board footer