You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Re: Axl Rose/Dexter forum chat discussion thread

Mikkamakka wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Don't Cry, You Could Be Mine.

You are probably right about DC, although I'm not sure if it wasn't Slash who wrote the solo.

I disagree with the mentioning of YCBM. It's clearly Slash's solo, which is great and essential part of the great song, and although the riff is a true Stones-type Izzy riff, I'm sure as hell that Slash kicked it off and made it GN'R and not Stones-sounding. I'm sure I don't have to remind anyone what Izzy answered to the question that why his solo albums sound so different from his GN'R works...

Anyway, Slash's contribution to every GN'R song (pre-CD) was major, except TAY, AG, YATF or 14 Years. Izzy was away from most of the Illusion sessions and he didn't contribute much to the others's songs on the twins, that's why the guitar combo is so far from the AFD/Lies quality. Nothing comes close to a real Slash/Izzy guitar duo.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I like Izzy's solo stuff.  I saw him in 1992 and it was a great show.  I have absolutely nothing against Izzy.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Don't Cry, You Could Be Mine.

You are probably right about DC, although I'm not sure if it wasn't Slash who wrote the solo.

I disagree with the mentioning of YCBM. It's clearly Slash's solo, which is great and essential part of the great song, and although the riff is a true Stones-type Izzy riff, I'm sure as hell that Slash kicked it off and made it GN'R and not Stones-sounding. I'm sure I don't have to remind anyone what Izzy answered to the question that why his solo albums sound so different from his GN'R works...

Anyway, Slash's contribution to every GN'R song (pre-CD) was major, except TAY, AG, YATF or 14 Years. Izzy was away from most of the Illusion sessions and he didn't contribute much to the others's songs on the twins, that's why the guitar combo is so far from the AFD/Lies quality. Nothing comes close to a real Slash/Izzy guitar duo.

Solos are easier to make when there's already a structured foundation. That's why you don't get a writing credit if that's all you contribute in a song.

Personally I'd value his contributions more than Guns did, but the fact is he never was the prolific writer you seem to think he was. Izzy is the main instrumental songwriter on all of their albums. Even the Illusions which Izzy apparently sleepwalked through he's got more songwriting credits than Slash. I'm sure he didn't sulk when he left the band.

In the band it appears the writing process went something like this:

Izzy comes up with the basic chords. Slash adds flash, solos and makes it sound good. Axl writes lyrics and steers it where he wants it if needed.

Slash is a great composer in a team as a slight second fiddle, but on his own he's pretty mediocre. Just look at his solo stuff. Some great riffs and solos but the structure is often generic and it lacks the "it" factor. Crap singers abound doesn't help either. Slither and Beggars are his best songs imo but in their current form they can still hardly hold a candle to the likes of Shotgun Blues and Back Off Bitch. Not to mention the time he came up with SCOM and didn't even know it until Axl told him.

Izzy also wrote Patience. He was at least as important as Slash to the creative side of the band, but they had very different roles.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Slash's guitar work on Locomotive is amazing.  Not sure if he modeled part of it after whatever Izzy did while they were working on the song, but the guitar interaction on that song is as good as any on AFD.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Izzy had nothing to do with that song far as I know. By all means, Slash had some tunes he wrote just with Axl, among them Locomotive, Coma and Jungle (some of their absolute best work). So I'm no way denying his talent or importance, just that without either Axl or Izzy he just doesn't seem to come close to his old heights. That can be said for Axl too, but even if CD is uneven it still contains way more wow moments than Slash has made in all his post GNR collaborations. To me anyways.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

It's going to come down to opinion and personal taste.

But for me, Izzy's work without Slash and Axl is far less interesting than Axl's work without Slash and Izzy, or Slash's work without Izzy and Axl.

Izzy writes good basic songs for the guys to add their magic too for sure...but it's more like he's setting the space for the song than adding the real pixie dust to me. Your results may vary!

Although no one should ever discount the input of all members into the GNR mix for that matter. Steven has a certain vibe that's present on AFD. And duff brings a particular feel to everything he does that invades every GNR track even the ones on UYI that he has no credit for writing. That's why there was that chemestry. They're all pretty important.

I guess it depends what you like. My favourite GNR tracks tend to be the ones that had their origin in Axl or Slash and are loaded with their styles. But then that's only one perspective.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Yeah, that should be said too. Izzy on his own is a total drag, but in that trifecta he was an indispensible factor (they all were). Steven and Duff bring their styles obv. but it affects sound a lot more than structure and I like to make a distinction there.

That's why Axl and Buckethead were such a good fit. He embodied both Izzy's creativity and Slash' brilliance.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Def personal taste

Slither,Ghost,By The Sword Own anything rocker riff wise on CD by far.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

agreed but cd's best songs aren't rockers and u just named slash's best songs.
although i would call better a rocker thats as good as any of those songs imo.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I'll take Superhuman's intro over Better's anyday of the week.

Fall To Pieces musically also is better than any ballad guitar music on CD

Board footer