You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

Re: Axl Rose/Dexter forum chat discussion thread

BLS-Pride wrote:
-D- wrote:

I'll take Superhuman's intro over Better's anyday of the week.

Fall To Pieces musically also is better than any ballad guitar music on CD

I agree with superhuman intro over better. Always loved that intro and never liked Better's. But I really dig the guitars in There Was a Time and was never much a fan of Fall to Pieces. The solo in Sorry is also great and my favorite on CD.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

lol

were talking intros now?

i also didnt know we were talking about individual guitar licks.

comparing the guitar work on the ballads of chinese democracy to that of fall to pieces is tough to do because of the differences of the direction in which the songs go.

guitar work on cd ballads:

til - mostly just the solo 
prostitute - mostly just the solos

fall to pieces can be played by one person if they can sing and play guitar at the same time - its that guitar oriented.

apples and oranges

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I never really thought there was much going on on CD guitar riff-wise. The solos are nuts and all over the place, but riff-wise it's either strumming straight up open chords for the ballads, and power chords for the rockers. Pretty dull if you ask me.

Most of Slash's riffs are a melody in themselves, including Fall To Pieces, which is part of what made GN'R so great.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
war wrote:

lol

were talking intros now?

i also didnt know we were talking about individual guitar licks.

comparing the guitar work on the ballads of chinese democracy to that of fall to pieces is tough to do because of the differences of the direction in which the songs go.

guitar work on cd ballads:

til - mostly just the solo 
prostitute - mostly just the solos

fall to pieces can be played by one person if they can sing and play guitar at the same time - its that guitar oriented.

apples and oranges

HAHA

Hey I'll do whatever it takes to win an argument! haha

Problem people have is, they can't look past the vocals/lyrics to appreciate some of the fantastic riffs/solos/music SLash has done Post GNR

Snakepit's singers are so terrible, I can't listen but I bet the music is phenomenal.

Suckertrain Blues kicks ass, Headspace, You Got No Right, Slither, Back To Cali is pretty fucking awesome also. Beautiful Dangerous has fantastic music.

AM i the only one that thinks the rifffage in "Promise" is awesome? Love that shit.

Also Saint is A Sinner's music is amazing

-D-

-D- wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I never really thought there was much going on on CD guitar riff-wise. The solos are nuts and all over the place, but riff-wise it's either strumming straight up open chords for the ballads, and power chords for the rockers. Pretty dull if you ask me.

Most of Slash's riffs are a melody in themselves, including Fall To Pieces, which is part of what made GN'R so great.

Abso fucking lutely

CD riff is ok

Scraped not that good

Rhiad is pretty fucking awesome though

IRS is terrible

Shacker's is somewhat annoying

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

cd is completely void of guitar riffs - no doubt

in fact of those 5 songs i would say only shacklers and irs have actual riffs and even that's arguable.

much more progressive cd is than slash's work

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

Just curious, how is that progressive if there are no riffs...?

-D-

-D- wrote:
war wrote:

cd is completely void of guitar riffs - no doubt

in fact of those 5 songs i would say only shacklers and irs have actual riffs and even that's arguable.

much more progressive cd is than slash's work

Its more ambitious but I get as much satisfaction listening to Slash's solo album as I do CD and I think Contraband destroys CD

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Because it's defying convention.

I know it's taste and all, and its all subjective, but I don't think Contraband is nowhere near the same level as Chinese Democracy. Not even close.

Hell, I don't think Contraband should be mentioned in the same discussion as Libertad.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:
misterID wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Because it's defying convention.

I know it's taste and all, and its all subjective, but I don't think Contraband is nowhere near the same level as Chinese Democracy. Not even close.

There's no denying that CD is ambitious, but what made GN'R great to me is the riffs, just as much as the solos and lyrics. Riffs are very few and far between on CD.

I don't hear anything progressive about power chords.

Hell, I don't think Contraband should be mentioned in the same discussion as Libertad.

And if by that you mean Libertad is terrible and Contraband is great, then yes, I agree with you.

Board footer