You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Re: U2 - Acoustic Achtung Babies

Rex wrote:
Bono wrote:

hey guys here's a link for the song Fast Cars which was on their last album How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. Have a listen and you might hear the simliarities with Get On Your Boots. At the very least you can see the natural progression I think. Maybe Boots isn't so different after all.  Rex if you like that middle eastern vibe I think you'll dig Fast Cars

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H7JTRVQB

You can definitely hear the similarities.  The whole middle eastern thing, along with the distorted bass and guitar.  You were also right about me digging this song. 9

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Wow this is interesting. If you've spent any time at a  U2 site the last few days you'll see that the fanbase for the most part likes Get On Your Boots, but it's not the overwhelming positive vibes that came attatched to Beautiful Day or Vertigo. In fact the internet discussions are almost identical to what they were in 1991 when The Fly debuted as the lead for Achtung Baby. What's hilarious is how many fans back then were let down by The Fly, or how many fans felt the band was ripping off INXS or Depeche Mode or how many fans felt U2 was dead or felt The Edge was so lack luster or The Fly. The Irony of it is The Fly is looked at by many U2 fans as one of the Edge's coolest songs and Achtung Baby is now widely considerd the best album by the majority of U2 fans. Either way take a look.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.musi … 7b38ed3654

Here's a sample:

-All I have to say is this:
If 'The Fly' is any indication of the rest of 'Achtung, Baby' and U2's musical direction, I think we can fashion 4 caskets, and label  them:  Bono, Edge, Adam, and Larry.  U2 is dead.  What an unimaginative  piece of garbage.-

-Give U2 a chance. The Joshua Tree was a great album, and they may never live up to it, but I will always be interested in anything they
produce. -

"The Fly", however, seems to me to be something of an experiment, and
perhaps a failed one.  There are interesting parts to the song, but they
don't add up to much of anything. -

It really seems ridiculous in hindsight tht anyone would've thought The Fly or even Achtung Baby as a failure. Weird and interesting to look back.

Bono

Bono wrote:

Craziest of all is there was internet in 1991. Really? Holy crap! I had no idea 14

Bono

Bono wrote:
Neemo wrote:

geez...talk about hosing your fans

hey Neemo if this is hosing your fans

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/ … Boxset.jpg

you can count me in as one of the hosed. Preordered it today. Now tell me you wouldn't kill for  Chinese Democracy package like that. tongue

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

That's definitely a killer set.

Consider me hosed as well.

Bono

Bono wrote:

Get On Your Boots is the #1 song on itunes Canada, while the delux edition of No Line on the Horizon is the #1 album right now. The standard album is #2.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I heard it. I didn't like it though. Kinda like the bass action but that's about it.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:
Bono wrote:

Wow this is interesting. If you've spent any time at a  U2 site the last few days you'll see that the fanbase for the most part likes Get On Your Boots, but it's not the overwhelming positive vibes that came attatched to Beautiful Day or Vertigo. In fact the internet discussions are almost identical to what they were in 1991 when The Fly debuted as the lead for Achtung Baby. What's hilarious is how many fans back then were let down by The Fly, or how many fans felt the band was ripping off INXS or Depeche Mode or how many fans felt U2 was dead or felt The Edge was so lack luster or The Fly. The Irony of it is The Fly is looked at by many U2 fans as one of the Edge's coolest songs and Achtung Baby is now widely considerd the best album by the majority of U2 fans. Either way take a look.

It's interesting to hear these statements. I remember when Achtung Baby was getting ready to drop that I felt it had little chance to live up to The Joshua Tree.  However as SOON as I heard The Fly and the rest of the album I immediately liked it. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses and One really sealed the deal for me.  I guess this is one time I agree with the masses, Achtung Baby is, was and forever will be their crowning achievement.

The next album (Zooropa) I wasn't as pleased with. Lemon was crap (imo), Numb was catchy but forgettable and a few other songs were just awful.  Stay (Faraway, so close) was the gem on this one and saved the album.  Bono, if anybody knows this you will, but wasn't this album some sort of "after thought" or something??  Seems like I recall it not originally being intended for release or something to the like.   The next album nearly made me call it quits for good, pure crap.  I vaguely remember a couple songs that were ok (Staring at the Sun? If You Wear that Velvet Dress?) Since then they have redeemed themselves and I am looking forward to giving this new album a shot.

Bono

Bono wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

It's interesting to hear these statements. I remember when Achtung Baby was getting ready to drop that I felt it had little chance to live up to The Joshua Tree.  However as SOON as I heard The Fly and the rest of the album I immediately liked it. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses and One really sealed the deal for me.  I guess this is one time I agree with the masses, Achtung Baby is, was and forever will be their crowning achievement.

The next album (Zooropa) I wasn't as pleased with. Lemon was crap (imo), Numb was catchy but forgettable and a few other songs were just awful.  Stay (Faraway, so close) was the gem on this one and saved the album.  Bono, if anybody knows this you will, but wasn't this album some sort of "after thought" or something??  Seems like I recall it not originally being intended for release or something to the like.   The next album nearly made me call it quits for good, pure crap.  I vaguely remember a couple songs that were ok (Staring at the Sun? If You Wear that Velvet Dress?) Since then they have redeemed themselves and I am looking forward to giving this new album a shot.

Zooropa was a surprise for everyone. They recorded it between legs of the ZOO TV tour. I think it took them like 6 weeks to record and release it. It was just an album that came outta nowehere but they caleld the European leg fo the toor Europa Tour. It won a  Grammy for best alternative album. I really dig Lemon and think it's one of their best songs. But you are right Gunslinger. Stay(Far Away, So Close) was the gem of he album but the band never really promoted it. Bono feels it's their best song period and wishes they would've pushed it a bit more.

As for POP I think it's a massively underarted album. or at teh very least gets a real bad rap undeservedly so.  I think it had alot of things going against it at the time. First it was the dawn of the new age in pop music where Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls were starting to blow up. Then U2 comes along and releases an album called "Pop". Ouch. No doubt that turned alot of people off. Then you add in the title of the first single Discotheque(which just sounds like a dance song) and a video for it where the members are dressed up like the Village People dancing around in a nightclub psychedelic atmosphere and you've got instant resistence from the non hardcore fanbase. I really think that stuff hurt the album out of the gate. It's got some amazing songs on it but perception is reality. ALOT of people I've met who say it's a bad album say so based on their perception, what they've heard others say about it and the three things I mentioned earlier. I really think subconsciencly that turned people off. I dont think the music had as much to do with the "failure" that POP is made out to be as people think. It seems very few who claim to dislike POP have even heard the album. It always comes back to the video for Discothque. "Oh that album was terrible. Discotheque was so gay". Really? What about Starring at the Sun, Last Night on Earth, Gone, Velvet Dress, Playboy Mansion, If God will Send his Angles, MOFO? That album is kickass U2. Yet it's like hardly anyone knows these songs. Also even though the Popmart tour was freaking amazing I think it had gotten to the point where the music was getting left behind. The show had become too big and more improtant than the actual music and people were starting to think "enough is enough" POP in my opinion is a better album than their last two. Maybe it suffered CD syndrom.  16  I really think the album was dubbed shitty by people for no apparent reason.  I haven't really met anyone who really dislikes Discotheque and alot of people do really like and remember Starring at the Sun so why not the album when the album has alot of good(better) songs on it? Perception is reality. So many people were led to believe it was a dance pop album and they wanted nothing to do with "dance U2". The album couldn't be further from a  dance album. Achtung Baby is more "POP" than POP. 16 then again maybe people did just hate it but I dont' really think so. I'd rank it in the middle of U2's albums. Better than Bomb, ATYCLB, Zooropa, Unforgettabe Fire, October and maybe Rattle and Hum.

Bono

Bono wrote:

So Cool!  9
nloth4.jpg

Board footer