You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: U2 - Acoustic Achtung Babies

James wrote:
Neemo wrote:

so does this album sound any good? i cant beleive it leaked so early...i hate that boots single...where does that track rank in the over all album?

Around the middle. To put it in GNR terms, I would say its the My Michelle of the record. Good, just not great compared to most of the other tracks.

James

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

...first one to jump out at me from a rock/riff standpoint is Stand Up Comedy....digging this track.:)

I'm listening to that track as I type this, and yeah its not too shabby.

That riff sounds awfully familiar, although I cant place it...

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

saikin, you should definitely dive into their discography. Don't take the easy way out with a hits record either because you'll miss too many gems. Start with The Joshua Tree. If songs on that don't move you, then just give up. 16

14 Hell no Saikin. Joshua Tree is a good place to start but if that album doesn't move you DO NOT give up like James suggests. The 90's material is way different than the 80's material. Achtung Baby is regarded as U2's masterpeice by the majority of U2 fans and routinely wins the "favorite album " polls on U2 sites much of the time gaining close to 50% of the total votes. Zooropa is a bit challenging and Pop has a bad rep but it's hugely underrated. Alot of good rock songs on POP.

TheSundanceKid wrote:

Now I might like the album if I sit down and listen to it in whole. I just did snippets of some songs. But, I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, Stand Up Comedy are horrible.

How can you be serious? I haven't heard the album yet but imagine me giving the album a rating based on the two songs(Boots & NLOTH) I've heard. It'd be pretty ridiculous. How can you say it's a dissapointment if you've only listend to snippets of a few songs?

Bigbri wrote:

Bono, it's only a couple of weeks, actually less. You can hold out. Don't dilute the full experience by downloading it.

I've actually downloaded the album now and I've burnt it to disc. Basically a  recipe for self sabatoge 16  BUT I have yet to listen to it. I've still only heard NLOTH and Boots. I almost slipped today on the drive home from work though. I listened to NLOTH and as soon as it ends I immediately skip to Boots. I fell asleep at the wheel(figureativly) when Boots ended I forgot to stop it and I heard the first 8-10 seconds of Stand Up Comedy. I almost blew it but I caught myself.

The irony in all this is I've been listening to Chinese Democracy alot since U2's album has leaked.

James

James wrote:

I recommended The Joshua Tree simply because its a very accessible record for a new fan with casual interest.

If you listen to that and don't like "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" , "With or Without You" , "Where the Streets Have No Name", or "Bullet the Blue Sky", you're not very likely to enjoy some of the more progressive stuff that came years later.

Its the absolute perfect starting point for a new U2 fan.

Bono, you should listen to "White As Snow". At least allow yourself that indulgence. I have no idea how you have such willpower. If an M.I.A. album leaked tonight, it would make headline news simply because I broke the speed of light barrier going from leak to listen.

Sky Dog wrote:

anybody that disregards 80's U2 is insane.....that IS U2. After Achtung, all the albums are hit and miss. Great songs spread throughout all the records, not great albums....any rock and roll critic or historian will tell you that. If a Gnr fan wants to start with U2, I say start with Unforgettable Fire. That is their break out album with multiple epic anthemic tracks. You can even go back to WAR. The new album is sonically great but seems to be lacking the big catchy chorus U2 is known for....granted I have only gone though a couple of times. Lanois and Eno definitely earn their stripes, but Bono's melodies aren't grabbing me right now. I have it on the ipod now and will give it a good workout tomorrow.

Bono

Bono wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I recommended The Joshua Tree simply because its a very accessible record for a new fan with casual interest.

If you listen to that and don't like "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" , "With or Without You" , "Where the Streets Have No Name", or "Bullet the Blue Sky", you're not very likely to enjoy some of the more progressive stuff that came years later.

Its the absolute perfect starting point for a new U2 fan.

Bono, you should listen to "White As Snow". At least allow yourself that indulgence. I have no idea how you have such willpower. If an M.I.A. album leaked tonight, it would make headline news simply because I broke the speed of light barrier going from leak to listen.

16 I don't know James. I'm stuborn I guess. I've waited 4+ years for the day where I can walk into the store, see the album on the shelf,  pick it up, have it in my hands, pay for it,  get back to my car and crank it from start to finish.  I think by listening to it now it'll ruin what I've waited so long for.  It was hard the first two days but now I'm passed that point of being bummed that everyone but me is listening to it. I will get to listen to it soon enough and  I think by waiting I'll apprecaite the whole process much more. It's a big event,  release day is and if I hear the album now it losses so much of it's luster. 

I mean how much more exciting would the day CD came out have been for so many had they never listened to the leaks.  Kind of a different situation cause with Gn'R ya just never knew if you'd ever get to hear the album so you took the leaks as you could get them, but the idea is the same.

White as Snow is the one I'm looking forward to most though based on thinsg I've read.

As for Joshua Tree you're right, it is more accesable to the new listener but for some rock fans it may be a bit too mellow.  I'd say for anyone intersted in getting into U2 you gotta do a Joshua Tree / Achtung Baby combo. Grab both albums. They're basically the Old and New Testement when it comes to U2. 

And most definately the worst way to get into U2 is  by grabing a GH or Best of or Singles album.  Don't ever do that Saikin. 16

Bono

Bono wrote:
madagas wrote:

anybody that disregards 80's U2 is insane.....that IS U2. After Achtung, all the albums are hit and miss. Great songs, not great albums....any rock and roll critic or historian will tell you that. If a Gnr fan wants to start with U2, I say start with Unforgettable Fire. That is their break out album with multiple epic anthemic tracks. You can even go back to WAR. The new album is sonically great but seems to be lacking the big catchy chorus U2 is known for....granted I have only gone though a couple of times. Lanois and Eno definitely earn their stripes, but Bono's melodies aren't grabbing me right now. I have it on the ipod now and will give it a good workout tomorrow.

I like the 90's U2 better. Achtung Baby is without question the best U2 album in my mind and I like POP better than October, War, UF and Rattle and Hum.  I'd rank POP the 4th best U2 album.

1. Achtung Baby
2. Boy
3. War
4. Pop
5. ??????

James

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

but Bono's melodies aren't grabbing me right now.

I wouldn't make that statement too boldly, but that's what I meant when describing Breathe. It's a good song, but its missing an ingredient. Not a main ingredient, just an ingredient you were accustomed to. He seems to be forcing things just a bit when he doesn't need to. I think Breathe would have worked better at a slightly lower tempo. The "Michael Stipe verses"(I know you know what I'm talking about) stand out a bit too much and make it a bit awkward.

Its a very solid record. regardless of who puts out albums this year, I guarantee this album makes my top ten list, and it wont be near the bottom. Its not really a "safe" record by any means, and at this point in their career, they could have easily charted that course.

U2 are basically the Stones yet continue to push themselves creatively.

Unforgettable Fire

Good point on that, but I never particularly favored that album. Haven't heard it in many years though. Think I'll download it.

But what the fuck do I know, my favorite U2 album is Rattle and Hum. 14

James

James wrote:

If we're ranking.....

Rattle and Hum
The Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby
Atomic Bomb

*NOT going to rank 'No Line' yet as that does it a disservice by judging it too early*

I can take or leave the rest, although there are killer tracks on EVERY U2 album.

Sky Dog wrote:
Bono wrote:
madagas wrote:

anybody that disregards 80's U2 is insane.....that IS U2. After Achtung, all the albums are hit and miss. Great songs, not great albums....any rock and roll critic or historian will tell you that. If a Gnr fan wants to start with U2, I say start with Unforgettable Fire. That is their break out album with multiple epic anthemic tracks. You can even go back to WAR. The new album is sonically great but seems to be lacking the big catchy chorus U2 is known for....granted I have only gone though a couple of times. Lanois and Eno definitely earn their stripes, but Bono's melodies aren't grabbing me right now. I have it on the ipod now and will give it a good workout tomorrow.

I like the 90's U2 better. Achtung Baby is without question the best U2 album in my mind and I like POP better than October, War, UF and Rattle and Hum.  I'd rank POP the 4th best U2 album.

1. Achtung Baby
2. Boy
3. War
4. Pop
5. ??????

we're a decade off in age I assume....and you are a Dj...right? So, the 90's U2 is your deal. I was in college in 1986, Athens Ga, college radio was ruled by REM, U2, and the Replacements. You dance with the one that brought ya...it's all good. I got the ipod going now and the sound is really really wonderful. The music and ambience is fabulous. I will probably catch up to the melodies soon...I'm slow like that.:beer:

Board footer