You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: U2 - Acoustic Achtung Babies

James wrote:

I really like this album, but I'm taking a vacation from it until its been released. Everyone will be listening to this when its out, and I don't want to be burnt out on the material already.

My preliminary rating is 7/10. Some killer tracks on this, but a couple songs that weren't really necessary. The bass on this album is groooooovy, and the band as a whole is running on all cylinders. Bono wrote some great lyrics for this, but that's par for the course and I would have expected no less.

Sky Dog wrote:

after multiple listens, I am REALLY digging it. I'll give it a 9/10....best album since Achtung in my opinion.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:
Bono wrote:

That's awesome Strat0. They're definately worth looking into. I've always said that whether you like it or not you'll end up liking U2 eventually. People say that's arrogant of me but I honestly think they are a band that even if you don't grow to absolutely love,  if people are honest wiht themselves they do like U2 one way or another.  I mean it'd be like someone saying they dislike the Rolling Stones. If you're a music fan that's virtually impossible. I think the same thing goes for U2.

I agree. I mean I always knew the Major hits. Sunday bloody sunday, Vertigo, With Or Without You, Where The Streets Have No Name, all those.

O and for some reason my singer hates Vertigo. Fun song to play but he's being a douche and won't sing it.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

From u2.com

Countdown to No Line

It's a big, big week for U2.... and here's some of the highlights.

After the Echo show in Berlin last night the band went out for dinner with Michael Mittermeier, film director Wim Wenders and musician Herbert Gronemeyer.

Today the band arrived in Paris ahead of some French promotional work, including a live performance for Le Grand Journal on Canal Plus on Monday night.

They then head for London where there's lots going on in the next few days. If you're in the UK mark your calendars.

First up Monday, when new tracks from the album will be aired on Jo Whiley's Radio 1 show (10am-12.45pm) and on Edith Bowman's show (1-4pm).

On Tuesday tune in to Zane Lowe (7pm) when his guests include Bono and Edge.

Then switch off the radio and turn on the TV - at 10pm BBC2's The Culture Show has a special focus on the new album - and later in the week, on Friday, there's an extended version of the show, with even more U2, starting at 11.30pm.

Friday also sees a special Radio 1 'Live Lounge' with U2 broadcasting from the BBC Theatre at Broadcasting House. Tune in between 10am and 12.45pm.

That same afternoon check out Chris Evans's drivetime show on Radio 2 - the band are in the studio with him.

And then finish the week with the TV again - they'll be performing two songs on the Jonathan Ross show which goes out on BBC1 at 10.30pm (That's just before the extended edition of The Culture Show (id we mention that ?) at 11.30pm - over on BBC2.

Got all that ?

Like we said, it's a big week...

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I really like this album, but I'm taking a vacation from it until its been released. Everyone will be listening to this when its out, and I don't want to be burnt out on the material already.

My preliminary rating is 7/10. Some killer tracks on this, but a couple songs that weren't really necessary. The bass on this album is groooooovy, and the band as a whole is running on all cylinders. Bono wrote some great lyrics for this, but that's par for the course and I would have expected no less.

I also took No Line off my iPod today. I don't want to burn it out. I'll give it 7.5 or so.  I like a lot of the songs a lot, don't really like a few at all, and a couple others are just "meh." Moment of Surrender to me is one of their best ever. Magnificent lives up to its name.

Bono

Bono wrote:

Fuck it. I'll put it in both threads 14

Here's Trent Reznor speaking about his first meeting with Bono.

Let me tell you a story about something that really helped me out: I saw U2 for the first time, on their Zoo TV Tour. I was backstage with Marilyn Manson, sitting in a room, and Bono comes in. I'd never met him, but we knew of each other through Flood, the producer who worked on both our records. Bono sat down and talked with me for an hour, and we had this kind of drunken mind meld. I said: "I'll tell you what I'm going through now. We went from being underground-elite darlings to the point where we're getting shit on by those same people because now we sell records. And I know you guys have gone through the same thing." Bono says: "Fuck those people. That's like saying, 'You're cool enough to listen to my music, but you - you grew up in Wisconsin; you're not cool enough to listen to it.' That's a kind of fascism." He goes, "You do what you believe you have to do. That's what we've always done. You believe in yourself and don't worry about the people who don't like it because it's not the right fashion statement that they're trying to adhere to."

Now U2's not my favorite band, but I do respect them, and in the same way I respect Bowie: They change without fear of change. I left that night thinking, "He's right. Why am I concerned about some snotty-nosed college magazine that thinks I'm not cool because people liked the record and bought it?" After that, I got over that whole thing.

That's pretty cool. 9

Bono

Bono wrote:

bonotrent.jpg

Bono

Bono wrote:

hey guys I know the links thing is a no no at this point but I want you to hear this and get your opinions. Since I've already heard No Line On the Horizon(the song) I figured I'd sample this alternate version. I think I like it better. Tell me what you think.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EKSQ3LPE

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Use something other than megaupload.....

Bono

Bono wrote:

I've never used sendspace before so hopefully this works. I most definately like this version better. I've yet to hear the album but I'd have to think this would've been a better way to open the album. Thoughts?
http://www.sendspace.com/file/dl1ue5

Board footer