You are not logged in. Please register or login.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

Re: CD - One million copies sold

sic. wrote:

Based on the sales numbers on United World Chart in the past four weeks, CD has broken the one-million barrier in worldwide sales. The good news is that with almost non-existent promotion and a Big Box exclusive, the numbers so far are fine. In fact, the combined numbers for these past four weeks show that GNR has been going almost exactly as strong as AC/DC and their new album, Black Ice.

The bad news are that the Aussies had by then enjoyed a full month on the charts with ferocious sales - as well as the ad campaign CD never had. When comparing the first four-week sales of GNR and AC/DC, a pattern painfully emerges: for every CD, three copies of Black Ice are sold.

The conclusion is therefore that, all things considered, CD's not doing bad. On the other hand, it's currently risking a tailspin and vanishing into obscurity as we roll on into 2009, unless some drastic actions are taken to promote the sucker.

Chinese Democracy

Week 49    72 000
Week 50    640 000
Week 51    250 000
Week 52    194 000

Total: 1 156 000

Black Ice

Week 49   242 000
Week 50   260 000
Week 51   257 000
Week 52   311 000

Total: 1 070 000

Previous four weeks: 3 151 000
Eight weeks combined: 4 221 000

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

That is good news and simply reaffirms what some of us have been trying to say all along...promo, promo, promo.   This album can still do well because the music is solid and that is the merit on which it can rest upon.

well there should still be some more promoting on the part of Axl,just imagine if he actually did some promoting how well the album would sell.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Slash_McKagan wrote:

well there should still be some more promoting on the part of Axl,just imagine if he actually did some promoting how well the album would sell.

I don't see that the sellings would have been doubled in the last week, since Axl's Dexter talk got reported almost everywhere. I think the world isn't interested in this version of Guns N' Roses and they don't give achance to the music (which is good, but not great).
I can't imagine that AC/DC with Angus Young and some random guys would sell this lot, so Axl' doing relatively well with his new band.

ereeper
 Rep: 14 

ereeper wrote:

Isn't that total wrong?  When I add 72,000 + 640,000 + 250,000 + 194,000, I get an answer of 1,156,000.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

That's correct.

sic.

sic. wrote:

Aye, had a little mishap with Excel.

Good find.

R.B. Huckleberry
 Rep: 2 

A million records isn't anything to sneeze at. AC/DC were icons before GNR ever saw the light of day. And they've had their comparitively lean times as well.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
Slash_McKagan wrote:

I don't see that the sellings would have been doubled in the last week, since Axl's Dexter talk got reported almost everywhere. I think the world isn't interested in this version of Guns N' Roses and they don't give achance to the music (which is good, but not great).
I can't imagine that AC/DC with Angus Young and some random guys would sell this lot, so Axl' doing relatively well with his new band.

I've never heard of any one buying an album because they heard that the lead singer talks to his fans 16

If Axl were interested in personally promoting this great, but not good 13 music he definitely could do a better job.

If better doesn't take off soon a more mainstream geered song like street or dreams or catcher and one random live performance of that song would gain them a lot of attention from the people that may not follow music closely enough to know what they like.

sic.

sic. wrote:

"The 'Better' music video will be out in a week or so. Monumental promotion will start very soon!" - Axl, 12/11/08

Monumental promotion should've started four or so days ago...

Board footer