You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: What affect did the leaks have on you?

strat0 wrote:

For me the leaks didn't spoil it because i didn';t listen to them everyday like some. they were just shuffled in  with everything on my ipod and itunes library.

Same with me,I didn't listen to the leaks all that much so it didn't really effect me when it came to the album,I just think the album isn't the best GN'R album,it's a good rock album tho. 9

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

Man it is exciting to be away for an extended amount of time only to return to the same old same old.  after a 14 year wait, and there are no tour plans, no relevant interviews, and no activity other than axl chatting with fans on the message board and the album is all we get. The album release itself needs to be more impresive to us. the fact that there is only 3 new songs on the album ruined that. so there ya go, my rant answered the question. Yes, the leaks ruined the excitement. The few who managed not to listen to the leaks have noone to share in the excitment with.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:

None whatsoever except for CITR which I love the leak and hate the album version.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

it factored heavily for me....
i DL'd Death Magnetic a week before it came out... i LOVED it... but by the time it was actually released, i had listened to it sooo much.. i grew tired of it and the songs didn't seem as great...i put it away for a month.. now it's fresh to me again...
CD is a whole different level.. because some of the songs have been in HEAVY rotation in my car for YEARS...that initial excited magic is LONG gone.. i just try to remember how i first felt when i heard the songs.. and how much i loved them... that's enough for me. they were fucked with... and while they may be better or worse than before.. i'm sure we can all think really hard.. remember the first time?
wasn't it awesome?
the officially released chinese democracy to me is a glorified remix album of material i've loved for a loooong time...some good ... some bad... some great.. some shitty....but in the end, the reason we're all here.. was the journey.. i still have all the old leaks ... and i listen to them....just like i always have...
and it's still not over.. there's more material waiting to be heard and i think that once BB has sold every copy that they bought... we'll get the proper release with all the artwork that axl was talking about... and maybe it'll be a double album... who knows... but the excitement is still strong for me. and i look forward to DL'ing new shit so i can bitch about how it's different than the final product to you guys on GNR Evo.....

skippy
 Rep: 33 

skippy wrote:

The leaks that really bummed me out and ruined it for me were from the guy who is getting sued for leaking stuff.

I was hoping those songs would blow what we had heard away, which was promising with the "Better" leaks and we got bad versions of "If the World" and "Prostitute", which ended all hope that there was something magical hidden in the vault.

Also, the CD leak bummed me out because the song is "Rock Me Like a Hurricane", "Louie, Louie" and every other 3 chord rock song, and it really reminded me of something I would write when I was 15 thinking I was doing something groundbreaking.

I will say this, though.  I listen to this CD more than other I have and more than anything else I've bought in the last ten years, because I'm trying to digest it and like it, but I can't get my head and heart around it.

Furbush

Furbush wrote:

i bought it nov 23rd... put it in my car's cd player in the parking lot.. and haven't removed it since....that doesn't mean i'm always listening to it.. but i really haven't gotten REALLY sick of it yet.... that's a good sign.. usually by now i'd be ready to eject it and toss it out the fucking window..

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I don't know... I got bored some of the songs in the past years, but on the other hand, without knowing the new direction, hearing songs like Better or Shackler, I would have asked WTF? Well, I would have worked hard to enjoy it, so I guess I'd rate the album higher than I do now.

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:

I was definitely burnt out on it although I never really listened to the leaks a ton with the exception of Better. I got caught up in the moment leading up to its release and I think that lead my review to be more positive than I'd write right now, but I only listened to it for 2 days before putting it down. I've only listened to it about 5 times since.

I do think the overall tone of the fanbase wouldn't be as negative because we'd be focusing more on the excitement of brand new songs rather than the lack of promotion.

Furbush

Furbush wrote:
Acquiesce wrote:

I was definitely burnt out on it although I never really listened to the leaks a ton with the exception of Better. I got caught up in the moment leading up to its release and I think that lead my review to be more positive than I'd write right now, but I only listened to it for 2 days before putting it down. I've only listened to it about 5 times since.

I do think the overall tone of the fanbase wouldn't be as negative because we'd be focusing more on the excitement of brand new songs rather than the lack of promotion.

we also would have been listening to the record with a "clean pallete", so to speak, if the whole thing had been new to us...
sure the promotion thing sucks.. but i think either positively or negatively comparing the songs to leaks really crudded up our initial perspective of it...

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

The leaks kept me interested in the band. I prefer the majority of the leaks over the finished product, but that's the only negative of hearing the leaks for me. I was never burnt out on them. And now that I think about it, I don't think I would have had the feeling of 'awe' over TWAT and Better that I had when I first heard the demos if I had only heard the album versions. So I think it was a HUGE positive I heard the leaks first.

The leaks made me appreciate Axl's talent even more than I did.

And for the record, Chinese Democracy is the best GNR album next to AFD. The Illusion albums have some great songs, but the albums alone, each by themselves, aren't great and can't stand up on their own next to CD.

CD flows without filler, imo. And I skip several songs on both UYI albums because they're just plain out awful. There's not an awful song on CD, imo. Even my least favorite is still pretty good.

Board footer