You are not logged in. Please register or login.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

Re: Axl = Rock God #11

strat0 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

well i think nowadays Cobain is basically like morrison or hendrix to the younger crowd...or Axl is like Jagger or Plant...just cuz they are before their time...they dont know any better...70's, 80's who cares they're still old

know what i mean? hmm

like AFD is classic rock now....you know how old that makes me feel? 4

Sorry for double posting but imagine how old you'll feel in another 10 years or so when Cobain and NIN are "Classic Rock"  16

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Making it through means that your career isn't killed by it. Bands like Poison or Warrant or even Motley Crue or Van Halen were never able to get big again once grunge rolled through. Anyone can have a few down years, and These Days still sold 10 mil+ worldwide (and I would NEVER call it one of their best albums).

The grunge era is one of the most depressing things about GN'R's demise because they had the power and ability to come out of grunge still credible and still successful. I think their collapse hurt a lot of other non-grunge rock bands of that era, although I admit I could name none specifically.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Making it through means that your career isn't killed by it. Bands like Poison or Warrant or even Motley Crue or Van Halen were never able to get big again once grunge rolled through. Anyone can have a few down years, and These Days still sold 10 mil+ worldwide (and I would NEVER call it one of their best albums).

The grunge era is one of the most depressing things about GN'R's demise because they had the power and ability to come out of grunge still credible and still successful. I think their collapse hurt a lot of other non-grunge rock bands of that era, although I admit I could name none specifically.

I didn't call it one of their best, I said it was the best. Which in my opinion it is.

Also, I was speaking only of US sales when I mentioned that it didn't do well. Here in the US, Bon Jovi was as dead as all the others when that album came out.

They only had another spark with Crush in 1999. And how you can say that grunge had any effect on Van Halen at all is beyond me.

I agree and disagree with you on this Russ.  Yeah the album was not a success.  But their tour was a sellout at a lot of stadiums, not arenas but STADIUMS.  And they weren't as dead as you make it to be cause when These Days came out there was still a huge fuss about it.  So Bon Jovi is what I consider one of the few 80's bands to survive the grunge era as well.  Where I do agree with you though is that These Days was the last album where Bon Jovi tried anything new musically.  Since then it's been pretty much repetitive.  I liked Crush and Have a nice day! and I'm of the few that thinks Bounce wasn't that bad but nothing original on those albums.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Page and Plant...and hell, BONHAM...are too low.

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:

Yeah and Cobain shouldn't be in there.  Paul McCartney should be there but a tad lower.  Everybody excepth Cobain deserves to be in there.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

I also don't get the Cobain fascination, but what really puts him out of place on this list is how anti "Rock God" he was.  Everyone else on the list would have wanted that title, he made a career out of not wanting it.

strat0 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

well i think nowadays Cobain is basically like morrison or hendrix to the younger crowd...or Axl is like Jagger or Plant...just cuz they are before their time...they dont know any better...70's, 80's who cares they're still old

know what i mean? hmm

like AFD is classic rock now....you know how old that makes me feel? 4

Sorry for double posting but imagine how old you'll feel in another 10 years or so when Cobain and NIN are "Classic Rock"  16

The "Classic Hit" station around here will occasionally play something from the Nirvana unplugged album already, and a couple of the early STP hits are in a good rotation.

In '02 when GNR was going to play here I was driving to work and heard Sweet Child on that station, I screamed outloud, to noone but my windshield, "I'm 25 years old.  My favorite band is NOT a Classic Hit".  At that time it wasn't part of their playlist, they were just playing it to promote that they had some tickets to give away.  Now it's regular rotation.

Sometimes you just gotta face getting old.

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:

It'll be 22 years this year that AFD came out and I was already 14 back then.  Next month I'll officially be entering my late thirties era.  Yuk!

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
Communist China wrote:

i agree with russ and am gonna say that his career was dead hence calling it a comeback. that's why everyone makes such a big deal about him. He did what so few have.  He's like rocky, the film character - Nobody likes him for his boxing, most just admire the fact he won't go away when it would be so much easier to do so. Being dead in the music industry isn't a literal statement. If you are perceived as dead you ARE, until you do something to convince the world otherwise.

and kurt cobain is very overrated on every level and if you went back in time and changed his end means from shooting himself in the head to the band breaking up and him retiring he'd undoubtedly be on the bottom of that list if not on there at all.

Board footer