You are not logged in. Please register or login.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

Re: GNR go Gold

gnfnraxl wrote:
D-Machine wrote:

I may Torrent a couple and see what I think.

I love this discussion, i know we are well off the beaten path but I love message forums where discussions get a little off topic and turn into a really cool beast.

To get back on Topic though:

I just wonder if the 20k GNR sold last week will be an indication of the numbers it will pull from here on out? OR was it just cause it was the week after Christmas?

I really admire and respect GNR fans that can turn this into something positive. I can't.

Gold isn't bad I don't guess... 2 million worldwide is pretty bad though.

I know in the Rock God thread people were discussing certain other bands and even those that kinda bombed in the US still moved 6-8 million worldwide. so the fact GNR aren't the overseas phenomenon we all thought for me is WAYYYYYYYYYYY more shocking than the US number.

Just remember D that 2 million albums nowadays is probably the equivalent of 6-8 million worldwide from back in the 90's.  Sad fact, people don't buy music anymore, they download it and on torrent sites.  So to me CD is not a complete failure.  Maybe GNR fans are more downloading motherfuckers than AC DC's fans.  *lol*

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I would love to see the worldwide numbers for AC/DC and Metallica.

I guess what made me get so deflated was seeing how many units Metallica and ACDC moved in the first week.

to be honest, I think I predicted around 400k for CD but after I saw what AC/DC and Metallica moved, I got very optimistic and almost expecting GNR to at least do 500 to 600k

when the numbers came in, it was sort of shocking.

Sky Dog wrote:

ACDC was over 4 million worldwide as of last week.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
DCK wrote:

You pretty much answered you're own question there DCK.

Do explain

21 = Platinum right now
WM = Platinum opening week
21 + WM = double platinum right now

Axl needs Slash, and Slash needs Axl. Contraband only did what it did because it was MASSIVELY promoted, and it still only slightly surpassed CD numbers in terms of the initial sales. Take the promotion away, and CB does terrible. Take the GN'R name away from Axl, and CD does terrible. Libertad was a flop.

A Slash-less record also hurt sales, in addition to not taking the Wal-Mart deal.

You mentioned the world trying to figure out if this is Guns N' Roses, and that's half the problem. They've spoken, only about 50% agree that it's GN'R. Add Slash, and your back at 100%.

But i've always believed that 'reunited' GN'R album, even today, would only do probably triple platinum, overall.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

A U2 record would go multi-platinum even if it was being sold at lemonade stands only.

Nothing can stop U2. Bono himself couldn't sabotage its release even if he wanted to.

Yeah, you're probably right.  But sales are down all across the board, it isn't just with GNR.  Maybe U2 will be immune to the doomed economy, we'll see I guess.

I think the thing with U2 is they have a have fanbase that buy everything and everything the band releases. Myself included. It'll be interesting to see if the economy impacts them this time around. I'm sure it will when it comes to the casual fan but I really feel U2 has such a  large fanbase who want to have that hardcopy of the abum that initial sales in week one should still be anywhere between 700 000 - 900 000 copies.  I really don't think there is another band out there today who has that built in fanbase. U2 may not hae the biggest casual fabase the way AC/DC does(I could be wrong) but I do believe they have the biggest hardcore fan base. Then you add in their pention for releasing catchy first singles which actually appeal to the MTV crowd of today and their ability to promote better than anyone and  it all equals out to very impressive album sales regardless of economic times.  We're gonna find out though that's for sure.  Their album is coming out March 2nd in Europe and March 3rd in North America and times will be even tougher than they were in November.  I think this release is gonna be a real tell tale sign of where we're at in the world of music as far as what kind of impact the economy is having on album sales. That or as James put it it's just gonna show that U2 is the exeption to the rule.

gnfnraxl wrote:

Just remember D that 2 million albums nowadays is probably the equivalent of 6-8 million worldwide from back in the 90's.  Sad fact, people don't buy music anymore, they download it and on torrent sites.  So to me CD is not a complete failure.  Maybe GNR fans are more downloading motherfuckers than AC DC's fans.  *lol*

gnfnraxl does this mean if U2 sells 5 million I can challk it up to actually 20 million? 16  Just kidding man.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Actually Bono, I think U2 has AC/DC beat on casual fans too.'

Despite AC/DC's success, they only appeal to a certain demographic. U2 appeals to everyone, no matter what your music preference, sex, race, age... don't matter. U2's sales will be boosted significantly based on the fact that soccer mom's buy U2 albums, kids too. Unlike AC/DC.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Actually Bono, I think U2 has AC/DC beat on casual fans too.'

Despite AC/DC's success, they only appeal to a certain demographic. U2 appeals to everyone, no matter what your music preference, sex, race, age... don't matter. U2's sales will be boosted significantly based on the fact that soccer mom's buy U2 albums, kids too. Unlike AC/DC.

That's actually a really good point. I've never seen AC/DC in concert but I can guess it's a predominantly white male crowd. The thing I've noticed at U2 shows is there's a wide range of people from every walk of life. Black, white, Indian, Asian, Hispanic,  females, males, young kids right up to folks in their 60's. Top be honest a U2 crowd is by far the most diverse crowd I've ever witnessed at a  ive show.  I guess I was just using what I tend to hear in pubs and bars and at parties as my basis for a casual fan base but then again that makes sense. AC/DC is a  party band so it's common to hear them much more often in those types of settings than alot of bands

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I was at the AC/DC in Jersey. Plenty of ladies attending the show. From 16-60. All races were there as well. AC/DC appeals to everyone. Almost anyone into rock music rocks out to AC/DC.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

I was at the AC/DC in Jersey. Plenty of ladies attending the show. From 16-60. All races were there as well. AC/DC appeals to everyone. Almost anyone into rock music rocks out to AC/DC.

That's the key right there. U2 actually appeals to people of all preferred musical genres, unlike AC/DC, which is just a diverse rock crowd.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

Love AC/DC, but I've never gotten U2. They have a couple songs I like pretty good. But I've never gotten the hype for them.

Board footer