You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Mickey Rourke Golden Globes

monkeychow wrote:

Cool that Axl let them use the song for free.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
russtcb wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Cool that Axl let them use the song for free.

Thought that was cool too.

I thought Axl sold his rights to a publishing company for 25 million.  Then I thought it was Slash and Duff that never let GNR in movies.  Then I thought it was Axl that didn't let WTTJ in Black Hawk down. So what the fuck is it?  The story changes daily of who has the rights to the back catalogue....

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I didn't quite understand that either. I thought Axl LICENSED his portion, meaning he still had say over it's use, but he would not profit, because of the payout.

So saying he donated it for free, is kind of like... huh?

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

That's one scary pic you posted Neemo.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I didn't quite understand that either. I thought Axl LICENSED his portion, meaning he still had say over it's use, but he would not profit, because of the payout.

yes, how much fucking spin is going on.... And, if he let it on for free, didn't Slash and Duff too????????  I mean, look at Welcome to the Jungle and Slash on Guitar Hero... For some reason either it was Slash, Duff, and Axl call, or nobodies call/publishing company.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I was listening to Sirius Octane tonight and after "Better" finished playing the DJ came on and said that he read that Axl was thinking about suing Guitar Hero for using WTTJ and SCOM without his consent.  He went on to say that he believed Axl was insinuating that Slash had given away the songs, while he didn't have that right.  He had the right to perform the songs, but not in any business deals.

I'm assuming the DJ got the information from Axl's onliine manifesto.  I remember him going over that subject but I don't remember him saying he was thinking of suing Guitar Hero.  I guess I could've missed that though.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

yes, how much fucking spin is going on.... And, if he let it on for free, didn't Slash and Duff too????????  I mean, look at Welcome to the Jungle and Slash on Guitar Hero... For some reason either it was Slash, Duff, and Axl call, or nobodies call/publishing company.

I know. I'm confused too. I know that they all have say-so in the back catalog, but all I can guess is because Axl owns "Guns N' Roses" the name, that everything begins and ends with him, allowing usage of the back catalog.

Remember, Slash & Duff have sued him before in the past, claiming he cost them potential royalty checks, because he refused to license the back catalog for certain films.

faldor wrote:

I was listening to Sirius Octane tonight and after "Better" finished playing the DJ came on and said that he read that Axl was thinking about suing Guitar Hero for using WTTJ and SCOM without his consent.  He went on to say that he believed Axl was insinuating that Slash had given away the songs, while he didn't have that right.  He had the right to perform the songs, but not in any business deals.

I'm assuming the DJ got the information from Axl's onliine manifesto.  I remember him going over that subject but I don't remember him saying he was thinking of suing Guitar Hero.  I guess I could've missed that though.

I like that - The Manifesto of W. Axl Rose

Sounds cool. cool

As for the whole Guitar Hero III thing, i'm sure the DJ is just running off at the mouth, because of, like you said, what Axl said in his internet posts. I don't think it's so much SCOM in Guitar Hero II, because that was a cover version by session musicians anyways, but Axl felt that Slash had given his likeness as an active member of Guns N' Roses with GH3, because GH3 had virtual-Slash on the front cover, Slash doing commercials, and the back box art had virtual-Slash and one of the back box gimmicks was 'features Welcome To The Jungle'. Then Slash's image was used in the game, with the dueling feature on WTTJ.

Axl is certaintly not wrong in thinking that, it's absolutely true, but I think his reasons are a bit questionable. Bottom line - Slash made money through Guns N' Roses, the band he helped build and recorded the song WTTJ, and W. Axl Diva over there is gettin' all pissed.

But I don't think he'll sue.

It does give casuals a bit of a misconceived idea that Slash is still in Guns N' Roses, but you know how you solve that.... hey Axl get a band, stick with it, and promote the shit out of it, and get out of your house once in a while. That's how you fix that problem. 22

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Axl probably won't sue because it could open the doors for a lot of shit coming his way.  He'd likely end up doing more damage than good if he chose to sue, but that hasn't stopped him in the past.  I just don't think he really wants people looking even closer at how he acquired the name, sold the rights, etc.  he may lose more than he gains.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Regarding Slash on GH III

Axl wrote:

It doesn’t bother me unless it’s being done at my expense and or to keep him associated as in Guitar Hero. Him being Guitar Hero’s fine but not when Activison in using Jungle, having Yahoo use Sweet Child unauthorized, claims no involvement with Slash, his or anyone’s image or VR or anyone or anyone’s music in either camp in promotion or commercials etc. I wasn’t broadsided. I read about it as it moved along but Activision continually denied it right up to the release. That’s some low life chicanery on all their parts.

Yes Slash was in Guns and on Jungle (and the whole I came to him for his riff is as much crap as him saying he brought Locomotive and Coma in as complete songs) and he has rights to perform it but not to be represented in this context in association with Guns. And since they weren’t granted the license it’ll take some sorting.

make of it what you will...at worst he'll probably ask for some sort of reimbursal or something...and since hes in league with Rock Band now he may just deny GH from using GnR tunes again....or maybe it was just Axl blowing smoke....who knows

Board footer