You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Interesting Post-MyGnr 6/20/2008-Future albums Speculation

Neemo wrote:

yeah i agree madagas...and if the $13 mill or whatever was for recording all the material (3 rumored albums) then geffen stands to make nothing but profit from the remaining 2 albums of the CD era since they recouped most of the cost from Best Buy already for the first one

also if that is the case then geffen and gnr will be even more tight fisted on letting material out there for leaks....to bring back that mystique factor....Axl kind of started to get it going because he specifically asked for a rumored song list so he could say yay or nay to what was legit or not

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

you guys seem to be forgetting that Axl refused to promote the record. The slate may be clean for the last 13 years of costs but Axl took a big old corn filled dump on his employers by refusing to do his job.

The percieved risk of spending millions on Axl's next album has just been blown up enormously. If he got out there and released a video for Better  and did some promotion I really believe that this record would be what a major record label with a global presence would call a 'success'.

Now the accountants that run the music world will count their beans, assess Axl's liklihood to deliver on the bottom line and start scratching their chins and saying "hmmmm".

Put yourself in their position, if your job was on the line and you had to decide whether to spend your company's shrinking revenue on Axl's next album; judging by what you've seen happen since CD release; what would you do? I know what I'd do. It is all about numbers at Axl's level, you'd be  fool to believe otherwise. People here call this a success; You can call anything a 'success' if you make the expectations small enough.

The fact that most songs were leaked did not adversely affect the numbers sold, that life line is a false one to cling to. This CD was pretty much a 'meh' to an indifferent and much changed music buying population. It was Axl's job to get out and prove them wrong to ignore him. He didn't and they continued to.

Who is to know if the 'original new band members' (did I just write that?) are speaking to him? That Dizzy sound byte we got recently indicates a complete breakdown in band structure to me. If like Tommy and Robin I had hung in for a decade and penned great stuff like Better and TWAT just to see my efforts die on their ass 'cause my boss won't come out and grow a set, I'd be looking for another job. You could not depend on anything from that quarter any more.

For the future, my best hope is that we may get an unpromoted box set like Alice N Chains did after Layne died and that will sell in about the same quantities as CD. I doubt anything more is going to happen with this album now. Management have not uttered a word since the Better video failed to show. I'd say they are as stumped as many of us are.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

you guys seem to be forgetting that Axl refused to promote the record. The slate may be clean for the last 13 years of costs but Axl took a big old corn filled dump on his employers by refusing to do his job.

but the employer already has his $$$ so whats the difference to them? .... Best Buy are the ones who got screwed by Axl not promoting it.

as for investing in future albums.... IF the studio time is pretty much done for 3 albums of material then the capital put into is gonna pretty much be nil...but they may have a hard time swindling another exclusive deal ... I'll give ya that

Sky Dog wrote:

they won't get any exclusives! No way in hell....the situation will be better for a record release though....no real sales expectations, low costs, etc. Just a normal record release. There is enough hardcore fans worldwide to easily justify another album. It is no where near the early 90's, but it is a solid following for any normal band. And, for the record, here is Axl's quote about their contract with UNI.

"Universal has Guns under contract but I own the name."

IF THERE IS STILL A CONTRACT AFTER ALL THE SHIT THAT WENT DOWN FOR 15 YEARS, THEN YOU CAN REST ASSURED THERE WILL BE SOME FORM OF FUTURE RELEASES.....common sense tells me that.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I'll continue to buy any new material Guns puts out on its release day but I won't get my hopes up into speculation for another few months.

Sky Dog wrote:

Commy, agree...just found that mygnr post interesting and went back and read Axl's chats. Interesting stuff and alot of little things jive.

ps....obviously work has been slow for the last few days! 16

Intercourse

Intercourse wrote:
Neemo wrote:

but the employer already has his $$$ so whats the difference to them? .... Best Buy are the ones who got screwed by Axl not promoting it.

They won't see it that way, Best Buy took them to breaking even. Axl would have been expected to bring in millions more after that. He didn't and worse is because he wouldn't get out there.

Here is what should have happened.
Take Bon Jovi with their 'Keep the Faith' album. Grunge was peaking in 1992 when it came out and suddenly they belonged in Jurassic Park. Instead of staying on the mat, they got up, got busy and toured the album and promoted the singles relentlessly. The album has sold more than 10 million copies worldwide and is Bon Jovi's 4th biggest-selling album, The rest is history. They are still here, still huge and still raking in the dollars (120 MILLION last year).

This is the kind of campaign GNR were expected to attempt- remember management's statement about a 'MASSIVE campaign'?? Axl HAD to shit or leave the pot on this one and unfortunately he pulled up his strides, folded up his news paper and left the bathroom.

Nothing is small & cheap with a band like this. Bands like GNR cost millions to run, even with a solid fan base; 2,000,000 albums per outing will not pay to keep this machine running. Personally I don't think Axl can internalise the idea of being a small time / medium success rock band anyway, nothing about him, his music or his behaviour indicates that.

The band may also find themselves on the VR road; now that the curiousity factor is quenched; mass turn off is a real posssibility with follow up sales being a fraction of what is achieved with CD regardless of the quality of the music; putting further pressure on him.

A poster on Velvet Rope who claimed to be close to the band said a video for Better would never be released as all attempts were rejected. he also said that Axl is sulking and not expected back for 'a couple of years' where a reunion will be his only option.

I'm starting to think this is true.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
Intercourse wrote:
Neemo wrote:

They won't see it that way, Best Buy took them to breaking even. Axl would have been expected to bring in millions more after that. He didn't and worse is because he wouldn't get out there.

In the USA there isnt any other option but to buy at best buy so the us market isnt bringing in any revenue for geffen/gnr at the moment..every where else in the world the money goes back to the label and band so they are getting revenue from the album in some capacity

but what i'm saying is that the gnr deal is obviously a long term agreement, if not by design then certainly by circumstances, when gnr signed their recording deal extension in 1997 or 98 the music world was much different then than it is now....so anyway say the deal was for 3 albums, a live album and a GH .... to make things simple .... the live era bombed, the GH was outstanding and CD broke even.....whats left is 2 studio albums and all the overhead has already been recouped, i dont see how they can be upset....they should thank their lucky stars that they broke even after this nightmarish process of getting CD on store shelves...for them CD went platinum and a half before the album was released...platinum in this day and age is fucking amazing

Sky Dog wrote:

Intercourse, the reunion thing is way old and should have been put squarely to bed by Axl's comments. Please show me the quote from VR...I assume you are talking about the Velvet Rope....I frequently go there and have never seen a post to that effect.

Intercourse

Intercourse wrote:

I see what you're saying Nemo but for me it's not about how it did, it's what happened upon release.

Do you think they would plough ahead with driving the GNR brand if Axl made it be known that he didn't think he had it in him to promote the albums the old fashioned way?

Will Axl even allow that?

Board footer