You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Comparing Axl Rose to the greats

bringbackadler wrote:

Yo, what's going on ROVers ?

See that the site is finally back up. Cool !

I wondered what happened w/ you guys. Didn't know until I stumbled across a thread over at htgth where I saw a little feuding between boards going on. LOL !! I wouldn't sweat it. That board is seriously a fucking cult. It's scary to read some of the shit that is actually being posted over there. Unless you are into walking around w/ your head up Axl and his coverband's ass, that place and 90% of its people are really lame.

Anyway, enough slagging. Glad to see you guys are back.

On topic, I definitely think Axl deserves a place with the other legends in rock history, but I seriously think that he is disgracing the band name with what he is doing today.  mad

bba

no one is making you read it (HTGTH).   at least the folks there support the band which is a lot more than we can say about you.  you just want to live in 1988 all over again, and you spend every day trolling GnR boards because it hurts your little feelings that GnR still goes on without your heros.   yea real fuckin cool man!

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I'd say the only songwriters eclipsing Axl/Izzy are Lennon/McCartney, Plant/Page and Jagger/Richards. With guys like Iommi, Clapton, Mercury etc. being on the same level.

Cobain, Cornell, Reznor etc. being on the level bellow that. Had some hits and a fan base, but never on the iconic level of household names like Guns N' Roses, Zeppelin and The Beatles.

Axl is however in a special postion since his catalogue is so small. But what came out in those 6 years is nothing short of classic.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Cobain, Cornell, Reznor etc. being on the level bellow that. Had some hits and a fan base, but never on the iconic level of household names like Guns N' Roses, Zeppelin and The Beatles.

I believe that in 20 years Trent Reznor will be looked back upon as one of the greatest songwriters of his time. There is still some kind of mythology surrounding Trent that will continue to drive his name into the masses. Axl lost his mythology when he stepped out at the VMA's in 2002 I'd say.

polluxlm wrote:

Axl is however in a special postion since his catalogue is so small. But what came out in those 6 years is nothing short of classic.

I couldn't agree more.

Wow I just agreed with Polluxlm 16

I'm not really concerned with where he stands.  In my eyes, he's the greatest frontman alive, and one of the greatest musical artists of my time.

Sky Dog wrote:

Downliner, I think most people in the industry look at the vma performance as sort of a bizarre incident....and many a great artist has had one of those. Axl redeemed himself with the 2006 tour in that he got very good reviews and just simply looked alot better. For God's sake, the VMA's were 5 years ago....time for everyone to let that 10 minute performance go. Ultimately, Axl's legend outside of 87-93 is now going to depend on Chinese. His real comeback, I hope, is yet to come. Whether it is Chinese or a reunion or whatever....

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I agree that the 2002 VMA fiasco is blown out of proportion by fans. While the hardcores make it out to be a big deal, its merely a minor asterisk on his legacy. In fact, its not even the real comeback. That happened in 2001 with HOB and Rio. Yeah, it was his reintroduction to mainstream, but in retrospect it is seen as a fiasco because nothing came of it, not because of who was onstage. People forget the huge buzz that one performance created. Had CD been released within a couple months of that performance, it would be regarded as a high point in the band's history.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

It's hard for the comparison because I don't see the influence. There are bands that are influenced by GN'R, but I don't see a lot of bands or singers doing anything that's clearly Axl. It's pretty easy, on the other hand, to see the influence Cobain, Corgan and Reznor have had on today's rock scene.

I do put Axl up on any list of greatest vocalists or frontmen, but between his small resume, unclear writing abilities (how much of GN'R was and is Axl remains a question) and the amount of Ax-influenced singers f today, it is hard to justify.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Excellent point. I don't think I could name one person who has named Axl as an influence. Hell, even his peers weren't influenced by him.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
madagas wrote:

Downliner, I think most people in the industry look at the vma performance as sort of a bizarre incident....and many a great artist has had one of those. Axl redeemed himself with the 2006 tour in that he got very good reviews and just simply looked alot better. For God's sake, the VMA's were 5 years ago....time for everyone to let that 10 minute performance go. Ultimately, Axl's legend outside of 87-93 is now going to depend on Chinese. His real comeback, I hope, is yet to come. Whether it is Chinese or a reunion or whatever....

Dont get me wrong I'm not anti-new gnr, nor do I personally think the VMA performance was that bad. I intended to word my response more like James just did with "in retrospect it is seen as a fiasco because nothing came of it".

If Axl was prepared to perform on the VMA's, especially considering how unprepared he seemed to be on the night, he should have at least had the balls to follow through with Chinese Democracy. If that wasn't a possibility at the time he should have just stayed away from the VMA's in the first place.

After all these years of waiting I guess it just frustrates me that so many chances have been passed up, and the fans rarely offered any explanation as to why smile

Board footer