You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: Comparing Axl Rose to the greats

PaSnow wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

If length of productivity is the basis of comparison...then Axl isn't on the top 100. If you want to talk about quality, not quantity...then Axl is at the top 5.

yeah, it's a mix between the two. Buzzsaw was right to a point in my opinion, longevity does count for something. That's why Brett Favre is considered one of the greatest QB's, longevity. However, Steve Young was only very good for 7-8 years, but he's also up there as well.

It's a mix, with no exact formula. Bands like U2, Metallica & Aerosmith deserve to be up there for being around 20+, and they are. But that doesn't mean bands like The Beatles, The Who & Zeppelin weren't great, same with AIC, Nirvana & Soundgarden. Regardless, it's all opinion. But I think Axl could justifiably be put in some people's Top 10. I don't think I'd call that being blind or biased.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i dunno... i know they were huge but maybe it was just too young for me...my brother was huge into them

I admit that i never heard them initially but back in 1990 i was still bigtime into GnR, Def Leppard, Skid Row, Bon Jovi, etc, etc. by the time broken hit in 1992 and downward spiral in 1994 i was still loving GnR, AIC, Nirvana, Pearljam, STP, PanterA and TooL...again maybe if you were into that whole shitty pop rap scene that you mentioned then yeah it woulda been a breath of fresh air for sure 16

although the fresh prince had a couple hot tunes in parents just dont understand and nightmare on my street 9

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I remember the Fresh prince videos on MTV in the late 80's. When I would come home from school, MTV would be sure to throw it into the after school rotation every day. Not a big rap fan, but those songs were decent. Crazy how rap went from Parents Just Dont Understand to Fuck The Police.

the musical landscape changed so much in such a short period of time. GNR hit the scene at just the right moment. Had AFd come out two years earlier or two years later, it would have failed to make the same impact.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

the musical landscape changed so much in such a short period of time. GNR hit the scene at just the right moment. Had AFd come out two years earlier or two years later, it would have failed to make the same impact.

Oh i know...GnR popped up just as Glam was soo damn bloated and it soared then when GnR became bloated Nirvana and co cashed in but swing grunge a couple years either way and the same thing it woulda been nothing.

really its a circle, and same thing these days, with stuff thats out there right now, the hard rock stuff just isnt moving. instead its billy talent or maroon 5 or whatever is popular 16 i'm so out of the music loop its not even funny 16

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Maroon 5 is actually pretty talented musically, but the singer's voice dominates the songs so much that you miss the quality of the music behind it.  I saw them live before their first album came out when they opened for Matchbox Twenty and they were pretty good for a band nobody knew anything about at the time.  I told my wife that they were goiing to make it after their set and a couple months later they did.

The mistake a lot of bands seem to make is selling out to be accpeted in the mainstream.  The Goo Goo Dolls, Sugar Ray, REM, Matchbox Twenty are all bands that I like to some degree or another, but they all sold out what they were (to some extent) to become accepted by the mainstream media.  Some of these bands today might actually be good rock bands, but they softened up their sound to be more radio friendly in this era dominated by pop/RB/Hip Hop.  Maybe not.  I don't know, just thinking outloud.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

i saw matchbox 20 for $8 before they hit it big.....they sucked 16 i do have their first album though, to see them make it so big was kinda shocking cuz they really werent that great, but they arent terrible, a few years ago i was gonna go see thewm cuz they played in my city with Lifehouse, ya know hanging by a moment, opening but the tickets were like $60....so i said nadda

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

My wife has a CD of Matchbox 20 (minus 1 or 2 of the guys) before their first album came out that wasn't very good.  They had 3AM on it, but it was slower and darker feeling than the one that came out eventually.  I think the band was called Tabia's Secret or something like that.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
russtcb wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

My wife has a CD of Matchbox 20 (minus 1 or 2 of the guys) before their first album came out that wasn't very good.  They had 3AM on it, but it was slower and darker feeling than the one that came out eventually.  I think the band was called Tabia's Secret or something like that.

I got around to seeing them on the More Than You Think You Are tour and I thought they were great. But I think we've found some common ground here;

all of us agree Axl is a better front man then Rob Thomas!

Yeah.  I like Rob Thomas and Matchbox 20, but Axl is a better frontman than Rob.  I'll give you that one.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Not sure how we got onto this topic but... I love 2 Matchbox albums, and like their middle one alright too. If I were making a rock band from any and every musician around today I might have Rob Thomas front it.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Not sure how we got onto this topic but... I love 2 Matchbox albums, and like their middle one alright too. If I were making a rock band from any and every musician around today I might have Rob Thomas front it.

I like Matchbox 20 a lot and I'm a big fan of Youself or Someone Like You and More Than You Think You Are.  I thought Rob Thomas was close to becoming a top frontman before his solo career.  That ruined it for me.  If he can return to MB20 and put out music at the level of their music and not his solo career, I think he can climb back up the list pretty quickly.

Board footer