You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Re: Axl Rose Insists Original Guns N' Roses Lineup Is Dead and Buried

Intercourse wrote:

Our band died THREE times on us; 1993, 2002 and 2008.

That is a record of some type!!

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

People keep saying Axl said Slash is a shitty guitar player.  I didn't read that, maybe I missed that part or maybe people are just making their own interpretations.  What I got out of that part is he doesn't feel like Slash has challenged himself and he thinks that shows in his work post-GNR.  He's not saying he can't play.  I think that debate has been had here plenty so we don't need to go over it again, but it is what it is, he's not saying he can't play.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I don't think Axl said anything that needs to be argued. I don't think anyone should argue it. It's HIS opinion, and that's fine. I actually agree with his assessment on Slash post-GN'R (not that he should've left after Lies though).

People are forgetting the majority hang up here, or at least the hang up from 'new band' fans. It's the fact that the man is 'breaking the silence' all over the place, and all he's talking about is a guitar player that hasn't been in the fucking band for 13 years, if not more.

People want to hear about Chinese Democracy, not Slash.

I also agree with other's assessments about how this interview came across as desperate. It very much comes across as that.

Just like in the 2002 VMA Rehearsal thread....

I was looking at those pics, and the little video that's been on YouTube awhile, and thinking... "how fucking stupid is this?" Back in 2002, yes, I was one of them that thought it was oh so cool for Axl to play mystery man, and all of this surprise shit, and shroud everything in mystery, which I thought was cool. That's because in 2002, I thought he'd bust back out into the mainstream with CD, kick some ass, and GN'R would become an active brand name in the music world again.

But it didn't happen.

So now Axl tried to play the same kind of stuff, like people give a shit. And people have stopped giving a shit. Look at the 2006 VMA appearence. Axl was saved for last, and it was the most non-eventful presenter/introductor of the entire night. Alot of artists in that audience, were BORN when AFD was released, some when UYI was released, and most kids at that reguarly confuse him with Bret Michaels. Seriously.

Doing Del James-exclusive interviews, not talking to the world in a real interview setting, not promoting your own album... nobody is playing that shit anymore man. Nobody fucking cares. If AC/DC has to press the flesh to move the vinyl, Axl fucking Rose CERTAINTLY does, after a 15 year hiatus.

It becomes a question of when will it dawn on him, his old way of doing things post-old Guns, just isn't going to work anymore. I understand he doesn't want to do gay shit like Rock of Love, but you have to do something. He does nothing, and continues to do nothing, and that's the reason that his album bombed, and the world has stopped caring.

The world's reaction for the longest time has been "call us when you're ready to bring back the REAL Guns N' Roses"

He's obviously no further now, than he was in 1996.

So GN'R is dead. No reunion, no new albums, no concerts. Sounds like a DEAD band to me.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I honestly think everything's especially fucked up right now because of who is/isn't in the band.

He can't do anything because he's got no one to do it with.
Robin's gone. Richard's putting ice packs on Rihanna's face. Tommy's with Soul Asylum. He's left with Pitfall, Lizzy and Bumblefart.
The best "players" on the album are Bucket and Robin. Presto: they're gone.

I'm sorry, I had an open mind going into CD, but Ron is just weak. Robin impressed me.

So, Axl's left with no army to lead. Why do you think he dodged the "who's in the band?" question?

Axl isn't doing anything because he really can't. He's got to reinvent the band yet again.

See ya in 2023.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I honestly think everything's especially fucked up right now because of who is/isn't in the band.

He can't do anything because he's got no one to do it with.
Robin's gone. Richard's putting ice packs on Rihanna's face. Tommy's with Soul Asylum. He's left with Pitfall, Lizzy and Bumblefart.
The best "players" on the album are Bucket and Robin. Presto: they're gone.

I'm sorry, I had an open mind going into CD, but Ron is just weak. Robin impressed me.

So, Axl's left with no army to lead. Why do you think he dodged the "who's in the band?" question?

Axl isn't doing anything because he really can't. He's got to reinvent the band yet again.

See ya in 2023.

Unfortunately that does seem to be the case.  I know Axl is unconventional and plays by his own rules but I think even he would've planned/expected to tour right after the release of Chinese Democracy.  The only logical reason for not touring at this point is that he doesn't have the "guns" to tour with.  I think Ron's work on CD is fine and Pittman was a bigger part than I expected, but they need either Bucket or Robin for some legitimacy, especially since he keeps saying he considers GNR as the people who are on the album.  They could go out and find a replacement yet again but that would be contradictory to that thought process.  The only thing they could possibly do is find a temporary fill in for Robin until his time with NIN is done, whenever that may be, or move on once and for all AGAIN.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

The irony of it all is the MOST AVAILABLE lineup out there right now is the old one, and Axl wants NOTHING to do with it.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

http://www.dickipedia.org/dick.php?title=Axl_Rose   HAHHA
well he`s earned his place there now

AtariLegend wrote:

As a fan I'd just like to say I loved "Chinese Democracy".

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

yeah that wikipedia listing is pretty fucked up

WeTheLiving
 Rep: 10 

WeTheLiving wrote:

Not that i know what Robin is thinking, or to put words in his mouth, but, i believe as time goes on, and the more crazy this things get, with the "interview" that just took place and the lack of reception of the album, he's probably less likely to return. What would be the upside for him? Dealing with a lot of drama for a band that isnt really commercially sucessful regarding the new material? At least in the old days there was this drama regarding the band, but their success sort of gave them license for the drama. Now its just drama and this thing is getting uglier with every interview and failed expectation.

He talks about Slash selling himself out, and playing with anyone, but ive always thought that one of the reasons slash stayed in the lime light was that when he did eventually rejoin guns, he would still be a ligitimate face and sound int he music world. He knew he was an integral part of the band and probably assumed it was only a matter of time, out of necessity, that he was brought back.

It looks as if whats irking Axl is that there is a growing consensus that he does need Slash, and he just can't deal with that. Now there is this dilemma as i see it. For the "New" Guns to have legitimacy he would have to tour and play a lot of the new material. But, a majority of the public wants to hear the old material. Joe Public, who would be the majority of the audience wants to hear the old songs. So, does he tour and do what he did before CD was released and play mostly old songs, or play new songs that nobody wants to hear?

Board footer