You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: Axl Rose Insists Original Guns N' Roses Lineup Is Dead and Buried

PaSnow wrote:
DCK wrote:

I always listen when Axl speaks. His words are heavy as fuck everytime.

The thing with Slash is...it's this hatred piled up for maaaaaany years. Slash kept going, Axl kept quiet and then one day the gates couldn't hold anymore and it all came down. Like we see now.

While Slash did some little picking here and there thru the years..one remark there..one remark here..Axl didn't say shit.

Then it all came out like a giant waterfall and fuck, I love it.

I'm sorry but I find it damn entertaining. I don't take offense for either of them. I mean, who gives a shit what they mean? I think it's all a damn good laugh and highly entertaining to see them go at each other. I'm just happy that after all those years, the other guy, Axl, finally shoots back. And he shoots back so well it was worth the wait!

Come on, no one here can say they would rather be without this...

I would. And personally I'd rather be without Robin, Ron, Richard, Tommy, Frank & Weiland & Dave. & throw Pittman outta there too. 5

Ultimately, this whole interview didn't need to be said. He just comes off as an annoying man.

I once heard a saying "Small minded people talk about people, average minded people talk about places, things & events, and wise minded people talk about ideas." or something like that.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Too much Slash obsession for my tastes. Its like he has an inferiority complex. Love the irony that the two men involved in this 'interview' have told fans for years to stop living in the past, yet that's all they concern themselves with. You get a simple answer in regards to anything CD related, and a 100 page thesis when anything from the past gets mentioned.

Only nugget from the past I found interesting was his lack of interest in TSI. Always felt that way regarding the album(and believe it shouldn't have been released), but it was cool to see someone from the old line up step up to the plate and basically admit it, although very brief. Del should have mentioned Slash and TSI in the same sentence and we might have got some info from that time frame.

One other thing is how this is like the third time he has mentioned how the Illusions are flawed. Had GNR been a one man show in 1991, the Illusions wait would have spiraled out of control and the Chinese Democracy concept likely would have never existed.

GNR is NIN now. This is the second interview where he pretty much admits this, so any aspect of this being a 'band' environment should be tossed out the window. I have nothing against it being NIN and have said it should be marketed as such for years, but maybe now various nutswingers will stop proclaiming GNR is a band like they used to be years ago. They aren't, and the man himself admits it.

Favorite part of the interview is where he puts the 3 to 4 albums of material in the vault bullshit to rest. That went on way too long and he should have cleared the air on that years ago. Now we know to only hope for one more album from that time frame, and to not expect it anytime soon. He's already backpedaling on recent comments about it coming next year, although that's just par for the course.

Hopefully one of these days he'll stop obsessing over Slash and give some real insight into the recording of Chinese Democracy.

James

James wrote:

One other thing, he blames fans for building CD into a myth. Thats simply not true. He had band mates for years hailing it as "mindblowing, "earth shattering", "nothing you've ever heard before",etc.

Cant blame the fans and media for blowing the sessions out of proportion.

Sky Dog wrote:

Geffen record execs like Jim Barber saying it was as good as the best of 70's Pink Floyd didn't help....neither did Rolling Stones David Wild saying it was Physical Graffiti remixed by Beck and Reznor. Those are 1999/early 2000 quotes that I latched and held on too. Then, you had the Tommy mindblowing and earth shattering quotes from 2003/2004. The fans did extrapolate on those quotes as did the media too. The record got built up by everybody-fans, bandmembers, media, hangers on like Bach, etc.

I also like how Axl mentioned that if you don't like Chinese you won't like the next one either. It is the same band and was recorded during the same time frame so it can't be that much different. I'll dig it I'm sure but Axl has drawn strong battle lines and has now said essentially he only cares about his hardcore fans.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Wonder if Axl was dissing me on the next album comment? I am the one that asked when he thought a new CD would come out and he said maybe same bat time same bat channel

James

James wrote:

I wasn't trying to pin all that hype on Tommy. You explained that well at one point(Tommy going from the Replacements to recording GNR epics) so his comments are understandable. But others in the band said those same things many times, and of course the great examples you listed. ONLY members of new GNR to not hype CD were Finck and Bucket.

Yeah, CD II is likely to be CD wrapped in a different package. While CD didn't make me blow my load, I look forward to a similar album. Some very interesting ideas in most of those tracks, just with poor execution in parts although that can be blamed on too much tinkering. Axl is a great songwriter when he wants to be, and that 2001 line up could deliver the goods. Him saying the 2nd album is much "darker" almost makes me drool.

I would love to hear that Vaughn solo by Finck. Shows Axl was aiming for specific sounds on the record, and too bad he didn't elaborate on that in this interview. Before he let Bumble drown Tommy out on IRS, it really sounded like the bass tone Shepard uses on various Soundgarden tracks.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Robin impersonating SRV doesn't sound too pleasing to me. I just hope its better than his impersonation of Slash.

Sky Dog wrote:

considering SRV is a much better player than Slash who is a much better player than Robin, I don't hold too much hope on Robin doing SRV type stuff either. 14

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I was thinking about Axls claims of Slash trying to take over the band, I never really understood how you go about taking over a band.
Giving the the numbers of the "alumini" who left not wanting to work under a dictatorship, I'm starting to think that what Axl calls "trying to take over the band", Slash might call it - trying to prise a little  of Axls complete strangle hold off the band.
Only in Axls skewed paranoid mind was he trying to take over the band.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Wasnt there an interview with Del or someone close to Axl years ago talking about Spagetti Incident? They said Axl brought a tape of the album to a party one night before it was released, playing over and over, delighted with it.

Board footer