You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Itchy GTR
 Rep: 5 

Re: The JAMES BOND 007 Thread

Itchy GTR wrote:

Thanks Von!!! I rented Quantum of Solace over the weekend. It wasn't that bad as some critiques have reviewed. The only thing I didn't like was the theme song by Alicia and Jack White.
They should of used If the World off of the CD!!! That would of worked better!!! : )

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:
Itchy GTR wrote:

They should of used If the World off of the CD!!! That would of worked better!!! : )

Agreed. 5

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Bought Goldfinger on Blu-ray a couple days ago. Target was running a special on it for $14.99.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

With Skyfall coming up I figured it was time to do a proper marathon.

Dr. No (1962)

Bond. James Bond.

dr-no-bond-james-bond_480_poster.png

Small scale for a Bond film being the first outing, resulting in a relatively bare boned portrayal of Bond. There are no gadgets in the film, so no role for Q either. The sets are good, but nothing like the grandiose style we get accustomed to in later entries.

Connery is smooth, crafty, cold blooded and a bit racist. The line "fetch my shoes" to his black sidekick as he strolls away with Honey Ryder feels very duplicitous in a film that actually employs quite a few black actors, including the minor sidekick.

All in all one of the few Bonds eering on the serious side. Some genuine moments of suspense, charm and action. Not great, but a very good start. Bond sending one of the villainesses into a police car making her think it's a taxi, after he's just slept with her is worth the watch alone.

From Russia With Love
(1963)

From where I'm looking, things are shaping up quite nicely.

From-Russia-with-Love-008.jpg

One of the most famous and well liked Bonds. Although still considered a serious film, the slide into fantasy is already becoming evident. The organization who the previous villain worked for, SPECTRE, is back and we "meet" Ernst Stavro Blofeld for the first time. The plot in itself isn't all that far fetched. SPECTRE are trying to acquire a piece of technology by pitting the british and the russians against each other. However, the female russian agent who is supposed to trick  Bond, and then turn around and fall in love with him is on the cartoonish side, and the final showdown with Rosa Klebbs feels anticlimatic after the epic train confrontation between Bond and the main henchman.

Q does his first appearance and we get our first gadget in the form of a multi purpose briefcase so to speak. Nothing especially fancy, but very cleverly applied. One of my favorite films and surely one of the best Bonds made.

Goldfinger (1964)

It seems you know more about airplanes than you do guns, Pussy.

goldfinger.jpg

Undoubtedly the most famous and universally acclaimed film in the series. For me I consider it rather overrated. This is the first truly formulaic Bond. The super villain with a global scheme, the steamy Bond girls with very sexually suggestive names, full on gadgets introducing the "smart car" and the more humorous and cavalier Bond.

It's a good effort, but contrary to what many seem to believe it really was the deciding factor in straying away from the source material and going with a more superhero interpretation of Bond. This is the start of the jokey "Moore Bond". The scene to look out for is Bonds literal conversion of a lesbian woman using his magic penis. It's subtly done but still pretty outrageous considering modern attitudes.

Thunderball (1965)

936full-thunderball-screenshot.jpg

Thunderball continues in the same vein as Goldfinger, only the villains are grander and the jokes sillier. The first mediocre Bond. It's well loved, but I always struggled to get through it. Connery is clearly getting older (despite only being 35) and you can see he's not all that into it anymore. Worth watching, but that's about it.

You Only Live Twice (1967)

In Japan Mr. Bond, men come first.
livetwice1.jpg

Dubbed "James Bond in Japan" in my country, and that's a pretty accurate description. Yes, they actually try and pass Connery off as a Japanese man in this one. The plot is silly beyond belief almost and Donald Pleasance plays the campiest Blofeld to date. Looking back today people must be thinking "are they kidding?". Easily one of the worst Bonds and Connery was to leave the role (temporarily) after this.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)

ohmss.jpg

First film with a new Bond. George Lazenby, a world famous male model at the time entered the role at only 29 years old, making him the youngest Bond ever. The producers are going in a completely different direction with this one. A more realistic and sensitive portrayal of the character. Not only does Bond fall in love and get married (only time he does this) it's also the only film without a happy ending when his wife is brutally murdered by Blofeld right before the end credits.

An interesting approach, and from being previously viewed as more or less a "nothing Bond" the film has gained a lot of popularity the last few years. Understandably as once you get over the fact that this is not Sean Connery there are many good qualities to the picture. The production values are amazing, clearly marking a shift from the 60s style of film making to the 70s. The characters a very 3 dimensional for a Bond film up to that point and Terry Savalas interpretation of Blofeld in imo clearly the best in the series.

Lazenby is not really an actor though, and it sorely shows. He's playing Bond but you never believe he actually is Bond. The ending is viewed as cutting edge for its content, and it is, but it's not in the spirit of Bond and being in the hands of people not accustomed to this level of film making, it ends up feeling more surrealistic than anything.

Diamonds Are Forever (1971)

600full-diamonds-are-forever-screenshot.jpg

OHMSS was a financial hit, as all Bond films have been, but it underperformed and after Lazenby pulled out the producers were desperate to get back to basics. Connery was brought back for an outrageous paycheck (30$ million upfront + 12% of profits) and in many ways this is the "Die Another Day" of its era.

Everything is more silly and over the top than before. Some of the gems being the gay hitmen and the psychotic amazones Thumper and Bambi. Once again Blofeld is the villain, his last official appearance before they sent him off in an underwhelming fashion in "For Your Eyes Only" due to copyright issues.

A popularly hated film, and universally considered Connery's worst. I think that's a little harsh. I certainly enjoyed it more than Connery's 2 previous efforts and the insane paycheck make him appear a bit more interested. Probably as outrageous as Bond gets, but I think it's good fun. Well worth the watch.

That's the Connery/Lazenby era. Next up: Roger Moore.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Great post.

Most of my thoughts aren't that different, but I'll add in some comments.

Dr No. (1962)

Decent enough beginning.  Good mix of realism and action and adventure.  Probably gets a 7/10.

From Russia with Love (1963)  I loved the story for this one.  It doesn't hurt that Daniela Bianchi is super hot.  The train scenes get kinda ridiculous imo.  But I give it a pass since it's entertainment.  9/10

Goldfinger (1964)  Passable entertainment.  It isn't bad or anything but I think other Connery films have an extra layer of either drama or depth that this one doesn't have.  Qualifes as a popcorn film.  Great theme song though and that's probably one of the reasons that is so well liked.  7/10

Thunderball (1965)  I ended up dozing off on this one.  I didn't get into the story at all.  Probably my least favorite Connery one.  4/10

You Only Live Twice (1967)  Another meh Bond film.  I really don't remember it that well at all.  There were some neat gadgets at all but that was it.  They are starting to get predicatable and boring.  5/10

OHMMS--not seen yet

Diamonds are Forever (1971)  My second favorite Connery Bond film after From Russia with Love.  This is over the top but I really enjoyed it.  I absolutely loves the Las Vegas parts of the film.  Not much depth to the story but that doesn't really matter in a film like this.  8/10 

Looking forward to the Moore film reviews!

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Thank you, always good to see a fellow Bond fan.

Live And Let Die (1973)

I can't tell you, they'll kill me if I do!
I'll kill you if you don't.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9Sbl93psbmePCdTsmFaLXN5zsvnRINmKAg8KXTQUqGaD_WRcc

I don't know if this was intended for Connery but it often feels like it. The last Bond to have that 60s look. Being absent from the pre title scenes, Moore is introduced rather unceremoniously, although very characteristic. Three colleagues of Bond have been murdered in a very short period of time and Bond is visited by M in the middle of the night to be informed. Unsurprisingly our man is nor asleep, nor alone and there's a successful gag being played on him trying to hide the girl from M, with help of Moneypenny. Louis Maxwell's 8 consecutive appearance in the role btw. With time she would do 6 more as well, making her the second longest serving actor in the series after Desmond Llewelyn as Q.

The plot is very similar to the more outrageous Connery movies and you're being forced to accept a lot very early on. It's apparently easier to include a whole parade of people in a murder plot after you've discreetly disposed of a secret intelligence agent, than it is to just discreetly dispose of him. In fact it seems everybody who's black in Harlem is involved in some form of conspiracy.

From there on it's a by the numbers Bond film. The redeeming factor is Roger Moore. From the moment he appears on screen he is unequivocally Bond. It's kinda ironic he should be the one to replace an aging Connery when he's actually 3 years older than him, but at 46 Moore is still looking good. And Sean Connery might be the manliest man in the world, but even he can't beat Roger for charm.

Some of the most memorable Roger Moore moments are found in this film. Threatening to kill a double agent working for the villain after he's slept with her. When she thinks he won't do it since they've just been intimate he slyly retorts with: I wouldn't before. Or when he tricks Jane Seymour out of her virginity by cheating at cards, then literally pumping her for information. Classic stuff.

The Man With The Golden Gun
(1974)

First? Oh James, you must be good.

0808052329267.jpg

To my bewilderment a frequent participant in "worst Bond" lists. I love this film, one of my favorites. Yes the plot is very small scale for Bond and there is a lot of silliness, but the second Moore outing is pure fun.

Christopher Lee makes for an excellent villain, the best since Savalas' Blofeld. The locations, especially in the third act are stunning. Bond throwing a girl into his wardrobe for 2 hours so he can have sex with another girl, then comforting her with the information that "it will be more than enough time for her to get a taste as well" is as slick as it can get. Britt Ekland in a bikini is probably worth the price of admission alone. On top of that we have lasers, flying cars and Bond wrestling a sumo.

The Spy Who Loved Me
(1977)

Keeping the British end up, sir.

the-spy-who-loved-me-jaws-richard-kiel.png

Generally held as Moore's best Bond. Essentially a remake of You Only Live Twice, though a much improved one. This was supposed to be the ultimate sendoff for the mainstay villain Blofeld, but due to losing the rights to the character he was substituted with somewhat of a clone, Karl Stromberg. Not the ultimate villain, but a very good one. We meet Jaws for the first time. Memorable gadgets include a submersible car and the villains lair "Atlantis" is classic Bond. As for the girl, Barbara Bach couldn't act her way out of a paper bag, but she sure is stunning.

Some trivia, this is the first film where Bond kills the villain with his PPK. Rather merciless too, first hitting him in the junk then firing 3 non lethal shots into his chest. Before calmly leaving to make love to the Russian secret agent, whose lover he has recently killed. Now of course she has learned to overcome her sorrow (and mission) and enjoy the comforts of Bond's arms.

Moonraker (1979)

You missed Mr. Bond.
Did I?

Moonraker_zero_g.jpg

Another one of Moore's notorious for its campiness. The ridiculousness is indeed taken to new levels here, but it's all in good spirits. Moore always had fun being Bond and that covered up for a lot of his bad scripts. Also we have Michael Lonsdale portraying an over the top but memorable villain. Dr. Goodhead isn't the most exciting Bond girl you've seen, but her voice sure is sexy. The pre title sequence is one of the best in the series, although Jaws surviving a 2000 feet fall accompanied by circus music sets the tone for what is to come later.

Clearly aiming to capitalize on the success of Star Wars we are being presented with perhaps the most outrageous Bond moment to date, a laser battle in space. I'm sure it has a few fans, but most hate it. It only lasts about 15-20 minutes though, so if you manage to survive that there's really fun Bond film to be had for the rest of the duration. 

For Your Eyes Only (1981)

My uncle thinks I'm still a virgin.

Lynn-Holly+Johnson+i+For+Your+Eyes+Only

Though Moonraker was a huge hit the producers felt the series had become a little too silly and this was their attempt to "reboot" a more serious Bond. For that reason it features high on many Bond lists, especially with those who are big Craig fans.

This was intended to be Moore's last film in the series, and they play a little gag with his age by having underage Bibi fall in love with him. Naturally she was more than legal in real life, so like me you're allowed to ask why the hell Bond didn't tap that. Bibi was very hot indeed.

You probably have to go all the way back to From Russia With Love to find a Bond film as grounded as this and it features some of Moore's more cold blooded moments. Pushing the villians car off a cliff is a classic moment and the mounting climbing climax is one of the most suspenseful scenes put in a Bond film. Moore is in top form as always, the cinematography is stunning and Carole Bouquet is perhaps the most exquisite Bond girl to date. 

Octopussy (1983)

Play Mr. Bond. You'll need a great deal of luck to get out of this one.
Oh luck?Well, then I shall use players privilege and use your...lucky dice.

Octopussy-bond-03.jpg

Moore was supposed to have been done by this point, but when Timothy Dalton turned down the role for the second time and with no readily available replacement the producers were once more left in a bind. Moore was far from a spring chicken at this point, but his movies were still making millions and with Connery returning to do his swan song in the unofficial Bond outing, Never Say Never Again (a remake of Thunderball by another production company) the choice to continue with him was an easy one.

Predictably dubbed the "battle of the Bonds" this was to be the second and likely last time to see 2 Bond films released in the same year. Octopussy won out at the box office in the end, but only marginally.

Perhaps one of Moore's lesser films, but I enjoy all of his so it's hard to separate them. We are back to being silly again so naturally it's not held in the highest regard these days. I like it. Bond being "trapped" on an "women exclusive" island resort does make for a very enticing plot device. Though Kamal Khan is a middling villain and Maud Adams isn't the best Bond girl it's a fun ride. Definitely worth a watch if you consider Moore one of the better Bonds.

A View To A Kill (1985)

You're leaving? I was hoping we'd spend the evening together. Now I'll be all alone.
Oh, I doubt that Mr. Bond.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQL_fa8ZKhXE4NsQAkcpklD1DHyiEHEbnfWWN2r4BJcQ-cst_djY2vNuu7L

The best way to describe Moore's last performance as Bond would have to be: infamous. Even having Christopher Walken as a villain couldn't make up for the odd fact that Moore, at 57 and looking it, still was able to pick up 22 year old knockouts with seemingly no effort.

I protest though. As evidence I will refer to the fact that Roger, even at the tender age of 80+, is still seen getting it on with girls way below his senior and whom most guys on this board would consider smoking hot. I'm positive Connery, even Eastwood, would feel the pressure when this guy walks in the room. Either way it shouldn't matter too much how old a man is when Tanya Roberts and Alison Doody is on the screen.

Moore may be old, but he's still kicking it out the park. The scenes with him and Sir Godfrey playing master and servant could only have been done by him. Walken as the pure sociopathic villain is also great entertainment and the climax at the top of Golden Gate Bridge has been etched into my memory since I was a little kid. Underrated.

Coming up next: Dalton/Brosnan/Craig

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Thanks for the write ups, I haven't really seen any of the Bond films (aside from bits and pieces) prior to the Daniel Craig ones, which are excellent.

Might have to delve into these ones I think.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Good reading thanks! Not watched the older Bonds in some time now, unfortunately they haven't aged too well IMO. I do remember enjoying Goldfinger and Live and Let Die more than you seemed to. For Your Eyes Only was always a favourite as well.

Interested to read your take on the Dalton era, I always found those films quite underrated.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

Good reading thanks! Not watched the older Bonds in some time now, unfortunately they haven't aged too well IMO. I do remember enjoying Goldfinger and Live and Let Die more than you seemed to. For Your Eyes Only was always a favourite as well.

Interested to read your take on the Dalton era, I always found those films quite underrated.

Being mainly action/entertainment movies I don't think they have either. Compared to something like the Godfather or Chinatown the Bond movies don't look well at all. For me it's really about the character of Bond and the actors portraying him, and to see the progression and different influences. Watching the old films feels a bit like taking a trip of modern western history and our various social issues.

I enjoy LALD, but it's one of the few Bond movies I don't "get" why people sometimes love. Goldfinger is a good film, I just find it overrated. It also irritates me a bit that it's seen as this ultimate, more serious Bond when that title should go to From Russia With Love.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

The Living Daylights (1987)

Living-Daylights-bond-01.jpg

Dalton as Bond was a little like Duke Nukem Forever of its day, you thought it'd never happen. He was first approached to replace Connery in the late 60s, but at 22 thought himself too young for the role. He declined again in the early 80s now thinking the character had gotten too silly. Some speculate the temporary shift to a more serious tone in For Your Eyes Only was an attempt to lure Dalton to the role.

For whatever reason it doesn't seem to have worked as Pierce Brosnan was set to replace Roger in the mid 80s, but someone at his studio apparently felt emasculated someway and prolonged his contract at the last minute forcing him to decline. Once again their plans for the future of Bond looked uncertain, but luckily they approached Dalton for a third time and he finally accepted to take on the role.

His debut looks very much like a Moore film, and sometimes feels like it too. But Dalton's influences are clearly felt. Being the first proper actor to portray Bond we get some dramatic scenes not really seen before in the series. Some think this is a great move and creates depth to the character. I may be inclined to agree in principle, but there's a difference in exploring Bond and turning his character into a wush wassy sentimentalist. That's probably hyperbole, but I still don't think Bond should act like a boyfriend with his women. There's a reason he's living a life on the edge with multiple short relationships, and he's not about to see the light and become a "good person". This is not Disney (least not yet 14) And I don't like a Bond that is angry as much as this. Him being a little nonchalant about it all I feel is an essential part of the character.

That's just a small ingredient though, and for sure Dalton has some great qualities as Bond. Physically he's very convincing and he's got the acting chops to deliver in almost any situation. There's some great action set pieces, especially the pre title sequence. Plays a little like FYEO in that it's a pretty down to earth spy action thriller. Villians are a bit disappointing and the Bond girl spends too much time with him, but all in all a good, fun ride.

Licence To Kill (1989)
Bond-Licence-To-Kill-05.jpg

A pure Dalton film. Some go as far as to call it humorless, but it's more that the brutal moments outshine the more lighthearted parts. Felix Leiter is graphically mauled by a shark, his wife murdered and Bond goes rouge to take down the villain. The dispatching of one of the henchmen is particularly disturbing, put in a pressure chamber and inflated to death.

In a way it's Moonrakerish in the way the film exploits popular trends. Pablo Escobar was still flying high back then so we get a south american drug lord villain. Die Hard had just redefined action so we get not only Agent Johnson but also Special Agent Johnson, no relation of course.

I think it's a very good action film and the script suits Dalton, but it lacks as a Bond film. Trying to make his character too realistic can be self defeating since his popularity in the first place isn't a whole lot due to realism.

GoldenEye (1995)

For England James?
No, for me.

goldeneye2_lg.jpg

Dalton was supposed to have done more films, but after some business shenanigans the franchise got held up in court for several years and everything went into limbo. Though profitable and hits in their own right, the Dalton films had been underachievers at the box office, especially in America. Also by that time Brosnan had become available and the producers decided it was worth it to risk casting a new, younger Bond. The counter to that risk was to bring the scripts and the character of Bond more in line with the more profitable Moore outings, with a dash of Connery.

It was the perfect storm. Brosnan was as easy as you can get on the eyes without looking like a girl, even men could find themselves gazing, and he had just become a household face with Mrs. Doubtfire. Famke Janssen as the Bond girl still features in most top 5 lists, and the release of the film was to be accompanied by one of the most acclaimed and popularly loved video games of all time. Throw in a couple of grandiose action sequences and you got yourself a hit.

In hindsight I struggle to see what all the fuzz was really about. I'll put it blunt, Brosnan is a terrible Bond. The limited actor that he is his delivery often falls flat. He comes across as crude and arrogant as opposed to charming and carefree. Granted the character of Moneypenny is now a tacked on feminist, but Bond shouldn't ever be giving her angry looks. He comes off as a person who's gotten by just by presenting his pretty face, and for much of his life that is probably true.

Sean Bean is a good villain though, and Xenia Onatopp is hard to forget. The action alone should be worth a watch.

Tomorrow Never Dies (1997)

They'll print anything these days.

teri-hatcher.jpg

For many people Brosnan made one very good Bond, then slipped into sillier and sillier antics as his run went on. True enough, but I'd still rank TND as Brosnans best. Yet another You Live Only Twice remake. The twist this time is the bad guy is going to use his newspapers to start a war between China and the UK. Jonathan Pryce is a fine actor, but he's not very good at this villain thing. His performance comes off as comedic and embarrassing.

I think despite it's flaws the plot isn't all that bad. A mighty newspaper mogul trying to influence the world for his own gain is as relevant today as it was then, even more so. The pre title sequence with Bond raiding an arms bazaar to steal a jet plane with nuclear weapons ranks high among my favorites. It has one of the coolest Bond cars, and being a Superman fan having Teri Hatcher as the Bond girl is very pleasing to the eyes. True, her character is boring and useless, but she does have some real chemistry with Brosnan. It would be interesting I think to cut Michelle Yeohs role and have Hatcher play out the remainder as the traditional damsel in distress.

The World Is Not Enough (1999)

I thought Christmas only came once a year.

denise-richards.jpg?height=360&quality=1

Connery and Moore both had good third movies. Brosnan should not be so lucky. The first part of the pre title sequence is good then it goes downhill fast. A confused, uninspired mess would be the best way to describe it. Even Robert Carlyle doesn't know what to do. Definitely one of the worst Bonds.

It has some moments though. Marcaeu and Richards are a great one two punch for a Bond movie, so excuse me that I don't care if that rack and those lips aren't really a nuclear physicist. And even though it's obvious they have a character named Christmas Jones just so they can have some jokes at the end, I like those jokes.

Die Another Day (2002)

600full-die-another-day-photo.jpg

The "official" worst Bond movie ever. The reasons usually given: Madonna, Yo Mama, invisible car and tsunami surfing. It's definitely low in the valley, but I don't think it's the worst. Bond booking a room at a 5 star hotel only wearing wet rags has the familiar charm. John Cleese taking over as Q after Desmond Llewelyn passed is a nice touch, wished they stayed with him for some of Craig's as well. Despite having the worst haircut ever in a movie Halle Berry's beach scene is still hot and I've always had a liking for Rosamund Pike. Some decent action here and there, but that's about it.

I decided the Craig films needed a post of their own. Coming up.

Board footer