You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: GnR holding audititons for a replacement for Robin?

polluxlm wrote:

I'd love to see Izzy back in the studio. Obviously the guy won't fully commit, but that writing chemistry combined with a few virtuosos putting it down on tape could be absolute gold.

Catcher is the best song on the album.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:
madagas wrote:

for this album and this tour, Axl needs Robin and Bucket on guitar...in the end they are the spirit of CD. Tommy, Paul, Goose, Dizzy, and Axl are the foundation, but Robin and Bucket really have the most influence....both on stage and off.

Agree completely.

I've always maintained that Robin and Bucket, despite everything, compliment each other perfectly.

A hack on guitar compliments one of the most talented players out there?  How so?  Do you mean if you combine the two, they average out to an average guitarist?  I'll give you that I guess.

Yes, Robin is all over CD.  CD was also a giant flop.  Add to that many people feel the reason for this flop is less BH on the album and more other guys, and I can't see any way that what you said even remotely makes sense.  Robin helped write one of the biggest failures in music history.  That will look good on his resume along with all his other (non-existant) writing credits.  Give the guy credit for what he did instead of making up accomplishments...he wrote part of a flop and played choppy guitar on the album.  I could have done that for 1/10th of what Axl paid him.

Robin and BH complimented each other?  Please.  CD would have been a better album without Robin.

Yeah, yeah, but but, we wouldn't have Better without Robin, or the This I Love solo!

Whoopdiefuckindo. Better is overrated and on the lesser-half of that album, and the This I Love solo is a total kick in the nuts to a great song. I can only imagine the magic Slash would've done with that solo, or even Bucket for that matter, considering how soulful Bucket was on Sorry.

I don't know about Buzz, but I get really sick of the Better-argument with the Robinites that are convinced it vindicates him being a fucking weak guitarist.

buzzsaw wrote:

It's amazing what living in fairy world does to some people.

+1 16

Otis Western wrote:

I wasn't at all impressed by Robin. I didn't see anything unique with his playing that an amateur at the local bar couldn't pull off. Plus, the dude looked like a freak of nature in his Gnr early days. To be quite honest, I wouldnt have a problem with Bumblewhatever or the other guys following in his footsteps. If nothing else, Axl should bring Izzy and Duff back onboard. Bring back some of that GNR sound and quality that wasn't there on Chinese Democracy.

Totally, i've felt that way for the longest time. I've seen better work from bars, YouTube... hell even Thomas Meadows over at the East German board. Robin isn't just average, he's weak. He looked like a freak, and sucked - he can't win. At least Bucket look like a freak and owned. That's why alot of fans now really praise him, even though at the time, they were kind of adjusting to his on-stage schtick.

As for former members returning, despite what alot of people say... GN'R can move forward without Slash. I certaintly don't see it as a massive issue.  Duff doesn't bring anything to the table, more so, than a Tommy Stinson. They're on an equal-playing field, and Tommy's already in GN'R, I see no reason to push him to the side, just to have Duff back.

IZZY is the big loss. ALWAYS HAS BEEN SINCE 1991. GN'R has NEVER recovered from the loss of Iz. Whether it's GN'R or VR, they both could be greatly benefitted by the song writing prescence of Izzy.

But it isn't from lack of trying. Axl has kept that door wide open, and from interviews and information collected over the years, GN'R was trying to get Izzy back from the first day he left. They tried to get him back after Gilby was fired in 1994, and they tried to get him back in 2001 to replace Paul, both times he turned it down. It's really a shame, but in this case it isn't an Axl thing, it's an Izzy thing. Izzy just too much of a free spirit to be tied down with obligations to any band for a long-term period, regardless of whether it's GN'R or not. He certaintly isn't going to tour reguarly, especially if a stadium tour is in the works, which is the precise stuff he hated.

Best we could hope for is Izzy becoming a 'studio only' rhythm guitarist for the band, with Richard going on tour as a touring guitarist, just like he does with Paul's material on CD, since he joined in 2001.

bigbri wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

A hack on guitar compliments one of the most talented players out there?  How so?  Do you mean if you combine the two, they average out to an average guitarist?  I'll give you that I guess.

Yes, Robin is all over CD.  CD was also a giant flop.  Add to that many people feel the reason for this flop is less BH on the album and more other guys, and I can't see any way that what you said even remotely makes sense.  Robin helped write one of the biggest failures in music history.  That will look good on his resume along with all his other (non-existant) writing credits.  Give the guy credit for what he did instead of making up accomplishments...he wrote part of a flop and played choppy guitar on the album.  I could have done that for 1/10th of what Axl paid him.

Robin and BH complimented each other?  Please.  CD would have been a better album without Robin.

I hate to say this but I agree with you.  Robin completely massacred Catcher in the Rye.  And his playing in general on that record was subpar.  Robin's playing has always been very sloppy at best.  So take away his sloppy parts and yeah I can see CD being way better.

I could be wrong, but I think Ron is the one fucking it all up like a soup sandwich. You fell in the same trap I did. I called out Bucket for a crap solo only to find out it was Ron. If the solo is fucked, chances are Ron touched it.

I actually thought Ron did quite well with Catcher, and also Shackler's. Maybe not Brian May, but it was good. I don't think he added anything to the overall product, but I would be willing to say he tightened some areas up. I think people's biggest MUSICAL (cause Ron is a cool fuckin' guy) issue with Ron is he's just kind of there. He doesn't sway you one way or the other. At the same time, he's also not average either. It's hard to classify him. He has Gilby Clarke-syndrome.

Otis Western
 Rep: 0 

Otis Western wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I'd love to see Izzy back in the studio. Obviously the guy won't fully commit, but that writing chemistry combined with a few virtuosos putting it down on tape could be absolute gold.

Catcher is the best song on the album.

I'm completely with you on the first part of your post. Having Izzy back in some form of recording capacity would be killer. IMO, he was the guy who wrote the bulk majority of Guns best songs. Axl isn't a bad writer either, but most of his best writing are the ballads (NR, Estr). There aren't too many rockers of his that are worth a shit. Scraped should have been scrapped, Shackler should have been an abortion, and I think Better was entirely overrated. Filler at best, imho.

I know that I'm new and this is probably repetitive, but I seriously can't believe Axl wasted this many years on recording the piece of shit known as Chinese Democracy. If he kept delaying the release in an attempt to make it better, this album must have been complete and utter shit back in 01'-02', or it wasn't bad and he just tweaked it to where it sounds like the garbage that we have commercially available today. Either way, Izzy's presence could do wonders for him on future material.

Catcher was the song with May, right? If so, the demo wasn't half bad. The version that was released is complete shit.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

bumblefoot has a lot to offer
hard rock/blues soloing isn't one of them

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Wow!  The haters are out in full force today.  Please tell me more about how much Chinese Democracy, Axl, Robin, and GNR suck.

Otis Western
 Rep: 0 

Otis Western wrote:
russtcb wrote:

To touch on something from above... Better is my favorite Guns N' Roses song ever and the solo from TIL is my favorite on the album.

Well, as they say, different strokes for different folks. I personally thought both of those songs were God awful terrible. Axl crying over the piano on 'This I Love' was laughable. How that managed to make the final cut of an album that was years in the making is beyond me. Hearing that song kind of paints the picture more clearly of why Slash and Duff walked out on Axl. Can't really say I blame them for not wanting to be associated with that.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

To touch on something from above... Better is my favorite Guns N' Roses song ever and the solo from TIL is my favorite on the album.

This coming from a man who likes all of the new guns except Bucket & Brain. 13

Otis Western wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Well, as they say, different strokes for different folks. I personally thought both of those songs were God awful terrible. Axl crying over the piano on 'This I Love' was laughable. How that managed to make the final cut of an album that was years in the making is beyond me. Hearing that song kind of paints the picture more clearly of why Slash and Duff walked out on Axl. Can't really say I blame them for not wanting to be associated with that.

When did he cry over This I Love? I must've missed that.

And I also want to say TIL is one of my favorite songs on the album. I just don't like the guitar work.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

the vocals on TIL are "god awful"? I think they are incredible.

better, terrible? which part? it's one of my least favorite songs but i would never describe the guitar or the vocals or the songwriting as "god awful".

None of this has anything to do with slash or duff leaving either.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

The thing about Robin is he plays in a distinctive style.  You know it's his touch on the guitar.

I'll agree it isn't something for everyone....but I don't think he should be dismissed as a hack either....his use of phrasing, dissonance and his choice of slides and patterns...it's quite strange and unusual in a way.

I'm not sure it works in every song, I didn't like it on the old material, but when applied to the CD songs it's cool - it's really cool on Chinese Democracy, The Blues and in other places.

He isn't always kickass, like some players, but when he has a good moment, it's very good in my opinion.

Board footer