You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

Re: Tony Montana Velvet Revolver Audition

jorge76 wrote:
bigbri wrote:

At first, I was like, this must be a joke thread: why would they audition that old fart. That was before I realized it wasn't Tony Orlando.

Then, I was like: is that bassist for Great White really still getting gigs?

How many guys in music are named Tony followed by the name of a US city?

Oh, yeah, couldn't listen on my Blackberry.

If it makes you feel better, I thought it was gonna be VR songs with clips from Scarface playing over them.

Rogue08
 Rep: 3 

Rogue08 wrote:

OK,  so I listened to everyone else I could find on Youtube as auditions, and I still keep coming back to this guy. As far as old farts...I am pretty sure that he is quite a few years younger than Slash and Axl and Co. Why is he an old fart but Weiland? I think Johnny Cash used to say that it's not the years but the miles. He doesn't sound or look like an old fart to me, and who cares what band he was in before. I think at least he is a professional.  He sounds pretty good to me, and trust me , I am not an old fart! I guess its different strokes for different folks, as some would say. I give kudos to any of those guys for goin for it though. Who knows what Slash, Duff and Co. will do but this Tony Montana has got a voice and his version of Paradise is impresive in my opinion. He hits the notes and delivers.  So, I hope they make a good record, that would be cool.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I personally don't think any of these auditions out there will be their choice.

That's why you're hearing them. They're already cut.

I don't think they put this stuff out there so you'd hear all of this great talent, you're hearing it to backup what Duff has been saying, all of their tryouts have been garbage.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Duff said they had 2 or 3 guys who were great. I do agree though that they wouldn't upload their stuff with the band.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah unfortunately it seems you are right...if they were serious about getting him it would be unlikely for them to debut him in this manner i guess. So it's basicly once they reject someone that we hear it.

Shame though...i really like this dude...serious potential....that PC cover...sings it with power and intune - which is pretty rare for people doing an Axl song.

I'd love to see VR with a frontman with a really powerful voice!

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Olorin wrote:

That guy sounds ok actually. Even PC sounded not bad considering everyone apart from Axl sounds lame singing it.

Well, everyone except for the Axl impersonators who are actually better now in a live environment at this point in time than he is. 16

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Yeah unfortunately it seems you are right...if they were serious about getting him it would be unlikely for them to debut him in this manner i guess. So it's basicly once they reject someone that we hear it.

Shame though...i really like this dude...serious potential....that PC cover...sings it with power and intune - which is pretty rare for people doing an Axl song.

I'd love to see VR with a frontman with a really powerful voice!

Good news is that maybe the 2 or 3 guys still in the running are even better. wink

tejastech08 wrote:

Well, everyone except for the Axl impersonators who are actually better now in a live environment at this point in time than he is.

That's a joke, right?

Anyway - I've said it before and I'll say it again.

They need to take their time. There's no need whatsoever to rush things at this time around if they want it to work.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
CrimeSlunkScene wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Well, everyone except for the Axl impersonators who are actually better now in a live environment at this point in time than he is.

That's a joke, right?

Anyway - I've said it before and I'll say it again.

They need to take their time. There's no need whatsoever to rush things at this time around if they want it to work.

It's a half-joke. When Axl stands still, he's great. But when he runs around, he loses his breath pretty fast and it hurts his live performances. He used to get away with it when he was in his prime but now that he's old he can't. Those tribute band Axl wannabe singers usually stay relatively still while they're singing. They aren't playing at 20,000 seat arenas where they run across the whole stage like Axl. Most of the tribute singers suck ass at imitating his voice, but I've heard a few of them on the net that can do a pretty damn spot-on impersonation.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Sounds too much like Steven Tyler. I don't like it. Not that I don't like Steven Tyler but this guy just makes it sound like old 80's rock. It's too familiar.

Duff should just sing. Loaded is sweet.

Board footer