You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bucketfan
 Rep: 30 

Re: Dissecting Chinese Democracy: Track 2 - Shackler's Revenge

bucketfan wrote:

If you listen really closely to the youtube videos of the multitracks, you can hear Bucket's original solo bleeding through.  Does anyone have a good quality version of the multitracks?  Also anyone notice Bucket playing Axls vocal line immediately after the solo?

Awesome song, Brain is the star of this one imho.

Itchy GTR
 Rep: 5 

Itchy GTR wrote:

It's a track that has that Duff attitude in it from the early G&R days.
Theres some devilish guitar leads in this song that melt down the windows in my apartment. : )

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

it could actually make a good opener or encore opener.

they could start shackler's the same way they do the teaser with the opening Jungle riff

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Bump

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

This song alone stopped me from listening to the rest of the album the first time I put it on after it was officially released.  Awful doesn't even begin to describe it.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I didn't mind it so much when cd came out...maybe it was just new music honeymoon...but now it's just cringe worthy.  A for sure skip on the old cd player

AtariLegend wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

This song alone stopped me from listening to the rest of the album the first time I put it on after it was officially released.  Awful doesn't even begin to describe it.

I actually felt the same way and in my case I actually love most of the tracks on this album. It ruins the flow and that second verse just goes on too long.

I honestly think that if most of the album wasn't full of leaks, this wouldn't have been included.

I can see what people like about it and I might have as well, but it's just not good enough.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I liked this song when it first leaked. It really sounded like early 00s Rob Zombie.  This song might have been a hit back in that 2001-03 time frame.  2008 and beyond? Fuck no.  We also have to take into consideration the song would have been different then, better or worse.  This song got old really quick.  I played the shit out of this song for a few weeks and then walked away from it for years.

You're right though that's for sure....on an album its a flow killer. I don't think they put very much thought into track sequencing. I am on the side of the fence that believes it was a leaks album with a few bonuses added on and any so called "vision" was thrown out the window if there was even a real vision to begin with.  In 2002 he said the track sequencing was done. I'd like to see that one. That was before anything leaked so that wouldn't have been taken into consideration. At that point in time he was saying that the songs they were playing live were not the 'A list" songs. I don't believe that but would be good to know if all were slated for the original CD before everything got out of hand. Had that track list ever surfaced it would tell you the strength or lack thereof regarding unreleased songs. Having said that, the fact they released Scraped tells you they'd release just about anything. 16 I've wondered if Scraped was added because of its short duration.  Few minutes empty on the disc so throw that bone on there to entice hardcore fans. Ron's comments about wanting to squeeze Atlas on there suggests this type of thinking was going on.

I remember in the months after CD release that alternate 2008 track list surfaced. Wish I had a screenshot of that. They were so lazy with it they shortened song titles. 16 There were differences but I don't remember its sequencing.

AtariLegend wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I remember in the months after CD release that alternate 2008 track list surfaced. Wish I had a screenshot of that. They were so lazy with it they shortened song titles. 16 There were differences but I don't remember its sequencing.

I'm assuming you're not referring to the 2007 cover from the other thread where half the tracks where different, but I specfically remember newspapers listing the track listing as this before it got released.

"Chinese Democracy"
"Scraped"
"Shackler's Revenge"
"Street Of Dreams"
"If The World"
"Better"
"This I Love"
"There Was A Time"
"Riad N' The Bedovins"
"Sorry"
"I.R.S."
"Catcher"
"Madagascar"
"Prostitute"

I remember seeing magazines listing that too.

http://www.antimusic.com/news/08/oct/17 … Date.shtml

I actually went most of 2008 without internet, so I wasn't around for the speculation. Though I did read the old threads.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

The intro is awful. The rest is very good as are the rest of Buckethead's pure contributions.

It was mentioned passively by Chuck Klosterman in his review but this song is fairly obviously plagiari..inspired by "Archives of Pain" by The Manic Street Preachers. I know Axl was a fan of that record. I also thought The Exorcist III intro they used in 2001 would work well as an intro to this song and have to wonder if it at once appeared here or on the album proper.

I've always felt that whomever selected the track listing did so to mirror Appetite. You'll see many similarities. This song plays the "It's So Easy" role, albeit far less effectively given that awful intro.

I know that the back cover was legitimate, at least from the record company side of things, for what it's worth.

Board footer