You are not logged in. Please register or login.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

Re: 'Chinese Democracy' Officially Drops out of the Billboard Top 200

TheMole wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

I wonder why....

Atari, I'm sure you have the best intentions and all, but you're quoting out of context and I'm having a hard time believing it's not on purpose...

Quote 1: was a provoked response to DCK's post
Quote 2: the only time in this thread I posted my opinion, you quoted practically all of it and it's a grand total of nine words...
Quote 3: not about the quality of the album at all, and you conveniently forgot to include the "if" that I put there. I was just saying that if they can't turn around CD's sales and turn it into a success (by, e.g. clever marketing, good videos, decent support, ...), the changes the follow-up will have any sort of impact are slim to none. Nothing to do with my p.o.v. on the album's artistic qualities.

I'm sorry if you mistook part of my post as mindless bashing, but I sure as hell can guarantee you that I am definitely rooting for GNR to be a major commercial success again.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

If GN'R had put out an album in 1996, with a bit of an altered sound, but traditional flavor, like Metallica's Load... it would've done the same numbers.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Wow, if Axl really monitors the boards, he'll play an all AFD and UYI setlist next time, cause people argue with passion over the old times, yet nobody really gives a flying V about CD.

Anyway, I don't wanna be offtopic, so here's my 2 cents: GN'R became so big and popular in the early 90s, that they lost their uncool status. The dolphins, back-up singers and Axl three costume changes per songs only made it worse. The media liked to bash them for 'losing their roots' and some old fans (or some new fans who wanted to be older...) criticized them for changing the AFD-style music. I love GN'R since 1989 and I enjoyed both AFD and UYI.

Anyway, thy were so popular that they became uncool. The media hype was like they were The Beatles' second coming. Then came those quiet years... GN'R wasn't uncool, they were irrelevant, cause hadn't put out anything for years (nobody counted TSI as a real album). But the public (I mean the rock public) was interested in a new GN'R album. After Slash left, the anticipation died down and everybody thought that Axl gave up the whole thing. Then years later he came back, but his new version was never cool, although the classic and semi-classic GN'R line-up became iconic. Axl's (and GN'R's) past glory sold 500,000 copies in the US and other 1,5 million worldwide. A lot of people bought as a present, or wanted to check out how GN'R or Axl will sound after all these years. I don't see them being impressed. He won't get a second chance, unless it's a reunion, which is highly unlikely.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

From what I remember from 1993, GNR became uncool. That's what I heard and felt at the time. I remember this kid..sitting outside his school listening to GNR and some kid asked what he listened to.

"Guns N Roses", he mumbled..
"Hahaha, are you listening to that shit still?", the other kid said.

To maaaany, GNR became uncool and they are still uncool. Just recently I met this guy and he could not understand why I liked GNR...to him..GNR was cool in 89-90..and he tought they were the shit..and then it was bye bye to GNR. It's like that for many.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

If GN'R had put out an album in 1996, with a bit of an altered sound, but traditional flavor, like Metallica's Load... it would've done the same numbers.

That album would have never happened. That's why it didn't. And that's why those guys aren't together anymore.

If UYI was released a year later it would have sold half of what it did in 91-92.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Disagree.  Fad they released UYI I in 91 and UYI II in 93-94, I think nothing would have changed.  In fact, I think you could make a case that they'd have sold more.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

How do you figure they would've sold more? Do tell...

Man, some of you guys think the GNR name held more clout than it did. They were the biggest band in the world for about 2-3 years. And the majority of their cred was really off one album. This is how the whole argument started. They are not and have never been on the same level of Zeppelin or The Stones.

You guys have tried to discredit this new lineup and Axl as much as you can, to ridiculous lengths. That's fine. Whatever. But at first I thought some of you were just disgruntled. But as the days go on and I hear your arguements that GNR was never considered uncool, the media is in a conspiracy to discredit them (Bono, you were kind of sounding like Axl there), that the 500,000 albums CD did sell was a "built-in" number of people buying the album only because of the GNR name, and not actually knowing it was a new band so it really doesn't count, and Buzz proclaiming himself the keeper of the original bands legacy like it was the holy grail or he was Gandolf, has made me realize that some of you are truly delusional. You're like a husband who can't get over his ex-wife... 20 years after the divorce.

This isn't 1991. There are not a huge number of people who will buy an album just because of the GNR name.

AtariLegend wrote:
TheMole wrote:

Quote 1: was a provoked response to DCK's post

You still said it, the answer means the same in any context... you're not into the album.

TheMole wrote:

Quote 3: not about the quality of the album at all

Then why did you follow up DCKs sales comment with it?

TheMole wrote:

Quote 2: the only time in this thread I posted my opinion, you quoted practically all of it and it's a grand total of nine words...

13 words I counted in one of your posts. Around 90 altogether, before I quoted you.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:

Man, some of you guys think the GNR name held more clout than it did. They were the biggest band in the world for about 2-3 years. And the majority of their cred was really off one album. This is how the whole argument started. They are not and have never been on the same level of Zeppelin or The Stones.

You guys have tried to discredit this new lineup and Axl as much as you can, to ridiculous lengths. That's fine. Whatever. But at first I thought some of you were just disgruntled. But as the days go on and I hear your arguements that GNR was never considered uncool, the media is in a conspiracy to discredit them (Bono, you were kind of sounding like Axl there), that the 500,000 albums CD did sell was a "built-in" number of people buying the album only because of the GNR name, and not actually knowing it was a new band so it really doesn't count, and Buzz proclaiming himself the keeper of the original bands legacy like it was the holy grail or he was Gandolf, has made me realize that some of you are truly delusional. You're like a husband who can't get over his ex-wife... 20 years after the divorce.

This isn't 1991. There are not a huge number of people who will buy an album just because of the GNR name.

Give it a rest. I told you flat out how it was around here. That's how it was. Gn'R never lost steam or interest around here. I thought we'd aknowledge the fact that this has alot to do with where you lived at the time. So sorry your uncool area thought Gn'R was uncool. Never happend here. Get over it. They stopped being productve so yes naturally people moved on to others things. Gn'R was too big to be hurt by grunge. It had little to no impact on them at the time. Had Gn'R put out a true new Guns N' Roses album in 1995 or 1996 you honestly think the world would've turned their back on it. That's  a delusional thought process  Fuck sakes read the way the media builds up Cobain today. They say him and Nirvana came in and wiped out all the bands from the 80's and they throw Gn'R into that group as well when it's fucking so untrue.  Gn'R thrived durring that era the way very few bands from the 80's did. Gn'R STOPPED being productive. END OF STORY. They did themselves in not the music scene, not the conjured up bullshit that the media was writting about.  It's so fucking fake man. U2 never gets lumped in with those "80's" bands cause they were not considerd hair metal.  Lazy fucking journalists lump Gn'R into that glam hair metal genre cause when writing about Nirvana and the grunge scene the article has much more punch and impact if a band like Gn'R's demise came about from grunge.

You're being so fucking dense here it's not even funny. I clearly pointed out there were people who bought the new Gn'R knowing who was in the band. It's fucking moronic though to sit here and think  that EVERYBODY knows who's in and who's not when clearly I know people who bought the album thinking they were back together. That's just me for God's sake. I'm pretty sure there are others in this world who thought the same. You're living in an online bubble. People in the real world dont' give a flying fuck to check out on a  daily basis who's in and who's out of Gn'R. The average Joe sees a new Gn'R album and thinks "Cool I'll buy that" without a second thought .  the only dellusional person here is you who seems to think the world is as intune to the Gn'R saga as we are.   Do you fucking realize how many people have asked me since CD came out if Slash is back in the band. Wake up man.

And YES there are alot of peole in 2008/2009 who will buy a  new  Guns N' Roses album based on the name when they see somthing new on display in a store.  To think nobody bought this album based on the Gn'R name alone and that the name had no part it..... wow dude you're so in denial.

Also you seriously need some reading comprehension skills. At no point did I ever say the 500 000 copies was based soley on the name. You sound like an idiot to even try and twist my words to suggest that. yeah I'm so fucking stupid that I think every person who bought that abum was ignorant to the fact Slash wasn't in the band. roll  You'd be equally ignorant and even more so to think that everybody who bought that album knew who the band consisted of.  There was without a doubt some arbitrary built in number where sales were based of the Gn'R name and nothing more. I can't make it any more clear than that. If you dont' get that than holy fuck.

Sky Dog wrote:
misterID wrote:

ID, you know you are my boy, regardless, but you are all over the map here. Stoned Immaculate?????:peace:

Board footer