You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: Guns N' Roses Names Dj Ashba As Band's Newest Axeman

Bono wrote:
Neemo wrote:

I dont care if he layers his old vocals on top...but I htink to have soem semblance of spontiaety and band cohesion that it'd be cool to have everyone playing together in the same room, as for them leaving the band ucuz of it...i dont follow...the peopel that would be replaced on teh album are gone anyway

as for a response to James...part of the reson that the first album was "ruined" IMHO was cuz there was too many things on top of each other..and 1998 recordings mixed with 2006 recordings and everywhere in between..some of the shit was so compressed that it's all fucked up (the outro drumming on Better is the most prevalent example) I dont care who gets the writing credits, but man if they could jsut go and Jam it out i think it may make for a better product...at least thats how i'd do it

Absolutely! A great example of this is the song Moment of Surrender of U2's new album. Entire band in the studio, one take and done.  They nailed it playng as a live unit in the studio on the first and only take. Great shit happens sometimes when you don't over think, over tinker and over play stuff into the ground in the studio.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

It's ok, he's a great guitarist it seems, but it's all a cover band at this point.  Does the band basically have 3 shredders now??  What a clusterfuck, Axls a nutjob.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I loved that Beautiful Creatures song "Wasted" back when it came out in 2001.  Here's a little clip of that in case you need a reminder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFb_PS28TIU

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:

I like the update Axl did on GNR's site.  They tell us who this DJ Alba is and show us a pic of him.  Finally he does an update the right way.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Axlin08,

Your point about GN'R becoming a modern rock radio band is an interesting one. I can tolerate that style of rock if the voice is great. I fucking hate Nickelback because of Kroeger's annoying ass voice. Shinedown is one of the few modern rock bands that I enjoy and it's because of the guy's voice. Likewise with Disturbed. Put Axl with a modern rock radio style similar to Nickelback and I'd almost be able to tolerate it because of his voice.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

It's good news as far as I'm concerned. Yes, I'd like to see Robin playing This I Love and TWAT live, but Ashba's a solid replacement. He's got the emotive playing down pat, he should shut up a few of the wankers who seem to think image is important, by looking like a more typical rocker, and he's obviously more of a Bumblefoot when it comes to interacting with the fans.

I think it'll be really interesting to see how Ashba and Fortus - two fairly conventional rock axemen - interact with Bumblefoot's Zappa-esque weirdness.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Axlin08,

Your point about GN'R becoming a modern rock radio band is an interesting one. I can tolerate that style of rock if the voice is great. I fucking hate Nickelback because of Kroeger's annoying ass voice. Shinedown is one of the few modern rock bands that I enjoy and it's because of the guy's voice. Likewise with Disturbed. Put Axl with a modern rock radio style similar to Nickelback and I'd almost be able to tolerate it because of his voice.

i can't tolerate your avatar 16
that movie was horrible

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Axlin08,

I think that's one of the major problems with modern rock is that the vocalists are weak and streamlined. You can't tell them apart, and most of them suck.

Instrumentally, I think most modern rock or alt rock bands are pretty sturdy, and can hold their own. The vocalists are the main issue.

Regardless of past weaknesses, I think that's one of the things that makes Motley Crue & Metallica (from GNR's era) interestingly different. Crue and Metallica both have went for that modern rock sound (Metallica actually created most if it fyi), and despite the copycats of Hetfield's voice, James Hetfield is still Hetfield. He makes the songs - Metallica. Just like Neil makes Crue songs - Crue. Neil's voice grades me quickly, but he's still 'different', which is more than can be said for most.

I don't need another 'masterpiece' from GN'R, or at least not one of the wait of CD.

Axl doesn't have to keep waiting to top the last record, it's not going to happen. Just "fuck off in G", make some songs, write some lyrics, lay some vocals, and aim for a radio-ready audience. Tour constantly, and release new albums every couple years.

I'm cool with that. If I want a 'masterpiece', i've got AFD, UYI's, & the old-new era's CD.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
war wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Axlin08,

i can't tolerate your avatar 16
that movie was horrible

All the more reason for me to KEEP that avatar. 22:haha:

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Axl doesn't have to keep waiting to top the last record, it's not going to happen. Just "fuck off in G", make some songs, write some lyrics, lay some vocals, and aim for a radio-ready audience. Tour constantly, and release new albums every couple years.

Abso-fucking-lutely.

Just get on with it. Get Ashba in with Tommy and write some cool rock songs. Don't over do it anymore, fuck off with all of the masterplan/seven wonder of the world bullshit.

Make some songs, release it, tour it and just have fun.

With Ashba GNR FINALLY got someone with enough skills to write popular shit. CD songs are great and all, but they're usually way to complex or weird to go anywhere mainstream. Make Ashba free to do what he wants and this trade with Finck will be the best thing happening to Guns since Bucketheads TWAT solo.

Axl isn't gettting any younger. Strike while the iron is hot.

The more I think about this, the more optimistic I am.

Board footer