You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Guns N' Roses Names Dj Ashba As Band's Newest Axeman

misterID wrote:

I prefer the 2002 line up. But now its official we'll never get that lline up again sad

But what can you do? I have no feeling about this really, because, one, I haven't heard him with the band yet and two, I really don't know anything about him.

And that Motley Crue album sucked. I mean really sucked. That doesn't really get me psyched.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I'm looking at this as a positive. The old-new era (oh god... roll ) is officially over with the official departure of Finck. The bassist & keys guys from those days are still there, but the guts of a rock band are the guitarists, and they are all now gone.

I'm hoping the positive out of all of this is a 'streamlining' of GN'R. Yes that's right, and hear me out. Even though I love Chinese Democracy, I know it's an album of a by-gone era. Nothing modern to it at all, not to mention even the best of tracks, a true listener can hear the clusterfuck in alot of the songs, especially the ones that've been around since 2001.

DJ has a very 'radio ready' melodic sound as a guitar player. One that fits with the modern rock of right now, in the current. We've heard Axl's "15 years in the making masterpiece". We've been there, done it, an it wasn't the earth-shattering epic it was made out to be. So fuck it. Let GN'R become an active, mainstream, streamlined rock act, and let Guns be out there touring, recording, releasing albums every 1-2 years, that are just hit and runs with an attempt at the pulse of rock radio, like DJ's sound, and just go with the flow. Basically rock radio with Axl on vocals.

The 'new era' GN'R is already a fucking joke. Tell CD and it's era to fuck off, let's break the eraser out, and start new. All of the influences on the new album are an entirely different band of guitarists, born of a different era. Let's team up DJ, Ron & Richard, along with long time Gunners Axl, Tommy, Dizzy & Chris along with their new drummer Frank (wasn't apart of the CD writing days), and see what they bring to an ORIGINAL album.

Today is a new day, the 1998-2008 era and it's rotating roster of musicians is over. Let 2009, be a fresh start for GN'R.

Smoking Guns wrote:

I would have been down for Doug Aldrich, but he is too big for GNR.

Yeah, 'cause we all know the big groundbreaking album to come out of 1987 was Lion's Dangerous Attraction. 16

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

All of the influences on the new album are an entirely different band of guitarists, born of a different era. Let's team up DJ, Ron & Richard, along with long time Gunners Axl, Tommy, Dizzy & Chris, and see what they bring to an ORIGINAL album.

Wishful thinking.

As much as I agree with you, remember they spent about 8 years on the last one. I have no faith in them delivering anything *new* within the next years. Nothing changed on that aspect, they have huge problems delivering albums. I doubt it's gonna change within 2015. 16

They still have two "new" albums with songs recorded by a semi different line up.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Today is a new day, the 1998-2008 era and it's rotating roster of musicians is over. Let 2009, be a fresh start for GN'R.

I both agree and disagree.

On one hand I think as fans, we need to accept that Axl does things his own way, and that's something that isn't going to change. He commented online that he doesn't work for the fans. For me, I can accept he does things in an unconventional way, his music to me makes up for any disappointments I have in between. But that's not the case for everyone. What I am saying though is, anyone expecting Axl to change his nature, and GNR to operate according to their own views about how a mainstream commercial band should function is setting themselves up for a fall.

However that said, I too consider this the beginning of the post CD line up, and see that as a very good thing. I liked the Bucket+Fink guitar attack we had on CD, just as I liked the Slash+Izzy attacks from the original line up. But those days are over, and what the band needs to do is have a line up that can move forward, while being able to play both the CD era and older material faithfully. I feel that Bumble+DJ Ashba has the potential to replicate the studio albums faithfully, and are creative enough to insipire Axl to record some new music (at his own pace). So I can see this as possitive for a 3rd age for GNR.

So, the world won't change because of a new line up, but as fans, if you enjoy what Axl does and are prepared to let him do it his way, then there's every reason to be hopeful now that this new incarnation of GNR will give us a positive future for the band.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I'm looking at this as a positive. The old-new era (oh god... roll ) is officially over with the official departure of Finck. The bassist & keys guys from those days are still there, but the guts of a rock band are the guitarists, and they are all now gone.

I'm hoping the positive out of all of this is a 'streamlining' of GN'R. Yes that's right, and hear me out. Even though I love Chinese Democracy, I know it's an album of a by-gone era. Nothing modern to it at all, not to mention even the best of tracks, a true listener can hear the clusterfuck in alot of the songs, especially the ones that've been around since 2001.

DJ has a very 'radio ready' melodic sound as a guitar player. One that fits with the modern rock of right now, in the current. We've heard Axl's "15 years in the making masterpiece". We've been there, done it, an it wasn't the earth-shattering epic it was made out to be. So fuck it. Let GN'R become an active, mainstream, streamlined rock act, and let Guns be out there touring, recording, releasing albums every 1-2 years, that are just hit and runs with an attempt at the pulse of rock radio, like DJ's sound, and just go with the flow. Basically rock radio with Axl on vocals.

The 'new era' GN'R is already a fucking joke. Tell CD and it's era to fuck off, let's break the eraser out, and start new. All of the influences on the new album are an entirely different band of guitarists, born of a different era. Let's team up DJ, Ron & Richard, along with long time Gunners Axl, Tommy, Dizzy & Chris along with their new drummer Frank (wasn't apart of the CD writing days), and see what they bring to an ORIGINAL album.

Smoking Guns wrote:

Yeah, 'cause we all know the big groundbreaking album to come out of 1987 was Lion's Dangerous Attraction. 16

Dude, he is a serious hard rock, metal player that plays in Dio and Whitesnake....  It took a long time to get noticed, but he is a badass.  I know you were just joking and its cool. 

Check it out...

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^Oh yea   Doug has game and anyone who says otherwise hasn't seen him play live upclose like I have!! He would have been a good choice too as he can shred yet also has killer blues skills. But I think he was happy with whitesnake.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Robin and Bucket = Strong Personalities, Are no longer in GNR
Slash and Izzy = Strong Personalities, No longer in GNR
Dizzy Reed = Yes Man, still in GNR
Ron and Richard = Nice Guys that will do what Axl wants, still in GNR

From the looks, DJ too is a yes man, nothing wrong with that, but finally, Axl has total control maybe. 

Bucket told him to fuck off basically, and looks like Robin did the same.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

^Oh yea   Doug has game and anyone who says otherwise hasn't seen him play live upclose like I have!! He would have been a good choice too as he can shred yet also has killer blues skills. But I think he was happy with whitesnake.

He is one of the few guys that would have made the Slash fans happy because he can really nail Slash's vibe with the blues rock thing, or he can be a shredder, he is great at both... Unlike Ron and Finck were/are.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

He's good but Im just not a fan of the big two thousand note a second solo things. I just don't get much out of that.

the stuff he plays afterwards is cool though.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I both agree and disagree.

On one hand I think as fans, we need to accept that Axl does things his own way, and that's something that isn't going to change. He commented online that he doesn't work for the fans. For me, I can accept he does things in an unconventional way, his music to me makes up for any disappointments I have in between. But that's not the case for everyone. What I am saying though is, anyone expecting Axl to change his nature, and GNR to operate according to their own views about how a mainstream commercial band should function is setting themselves up for a fall.

However that said, I too consider this the beginning of the post CD line up, and see that as a very good thing. I liked the Bucket+Fink guitar attack we had on CD, just as I liked the Slash+Izzy attacks from the original line up. But those days are over, and what the band needs to do is have a line up that can move forward, while being able to play both the CD era and older material faithfully. I feel that Bumble+DJ Ashba has the potential to replicate the studio albums faithfully, and are creative enough to insipire Axl to record some new music (at his own pace). So I can see this as possitive for a 3rd age for GNR.

So, the world won't change because of a new line up, but as fans, if you enjoy what Axl does and are prepared to let him do it his way, then there's every reason to be hopeful now that this new incarnation of GNR will give us a positive future for the band.

If Axl spends another lifetime putting out an album, he'll immediately doom this 'fresh start' to be another epic lameness event, turning a 3rd gen of GN'R into a joke, as he continues his quest to play bars in Lafayette.

Smoking Guns wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Smoking Guns wrote:

Dude, he is a serious hard rock, metal player that plays in Dio and Whitesnake....  It took a long time to get noticed, but he is a badass.  I know you were just joking and its cool.

Lion & Bad Moon Rising are two of my most favorite fucking bands ever. Alrich and Kal Swan should've gotten MUCH more credit as a guitarist/vocalist duo imo.

Board footer