You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The Possibility of a Guns N' Roses '09 Summer tour

James wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Motley without Vince was fake Crue (although they released their best album...)

Didn't know we had a MC94 nutswinger on this board. That's a very rare breed. 19

Nothing wrong with calling the band nu/new GNR. Even Axl called it that on the Trunk show. You have to be able to separate the eras during discussion, and its the easiest way to do it.

There's no point in doing Rio 2010. Album will have been out almost two years at that point. I'd rather he go back to the studio and figure out how to record a killer album again, even if it takes another revamped line up and a couple years to do so.

At this point in my fandom, I'm not interested in the 'AFD and a few bonuses' tour coming to an empty arena near you. I'd rather he concentrate on strengthening his catalog and swing for the fences one more time with his next release.

Axl record a new album or sing Think About You in front of 10 people in Podunk, Wisconsin...

Is the choice really that hard?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

There's no point in doing Rio 2010. Album will have been out almost two years at that point. I'd rather he go back to the studio and figure out how to record a killer album again, even if it takes another revamped line up and a couple years to do so.

That makes sence IF the goal was to tour to drive Chinese Democracy sales. However it may be that he wants to play some shows simply to enjoy playing these songs live, a handful of them were done on the 06 tour, but there's plenty that havn't been. A tour could also be used to finance final production/modifications to the potential second half of CD that Axl hinted at.

I agree that overall Axl focusing on building his cataloge makes most sence, as , overall, there is already so much live footage of him, yet comparatively few studio releases. However, we better be careful what we wish for, as I imagine if he did lock himself away for anotehr couple of years to finish the next album then the fan base will get frustrated with the waits etc.

I'd love some love shows too, just cos i've convinced myself DJ is going to bring back the rock element to GNR.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:

I think as I have said many times that Axl has put CD to bed and is recording new parts with DJ Ashba for the next album as we speak. Its his best option

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Yeah I know Axl said he would like to tour the album for some time, but I agree it would be a little odd to begin a tour for an album that's been out a year already (we know they're not touring anytime soon so a year is being considerate).  Maybe that WAS the plan but I would think/hope they've changed their tune and will move forward with DJ, create some new music and go on from there.

faldor

faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

He's burnt so many bridges in the US and now has one of the biggest flops in music history to hang his hat on as his only justification to them taking a chance on him again.  It's safe to say that isn't going to happen. 

The rest of the world just seems to be more tolorant of fake GnR than the US is.  Good for them.  As long as there's an audience for it, they should take advantage of the shows overseas.  If they are really good, people here will find out about it and interest may grow again.

Buzz, you seem to contradict yourself.  Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm sure you will.  On the one hand you say this is FAKE GNR and no one will ever accept it as Guns N' Roses, at least in the US.  But on the other hand you say the reason people don't like the band is because the music is so bad.  Which is it, is the music bad or do people just not accept this as GNR?  You've said that if the music was good enough the label would support it, why would they if they know that people view it as fake GNR?

You really can't have it both ways.  I'll agree with you that people don't view the current lineup as "real" GNR, so they don't even give the band a fair shot.  They go into the whole situation with their minds already made up.  Some may have given it a shot and were pleasantly surprised.  Many probably didn't give it a chance and decided they hated it after 20 seconds of listening to one song.  And many more probably didn't even care to listen/give it a chance at all.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

What do you mean?  I certainly can have it both ways.  There are people that have no interest in the band because it isn't really GnR.  Almost everybody will concede this point.  There are others that were willing to give it a chance and were not at all impressed with what they heard.  How can both not be possible?

Having said that, this post had nothing to do with what you're referring to.  My post was regarding the fact that US promoters want nothing to do with this band right now.  Not because it's fake GnR, but because of all the problems Axl has caused over the years and the diminishing crowds at the shows.  Add an unsuccessful album to the mix and it isn't going to give them reason to take a chance on it.  The rest of the world (while still not buying the new album) will go and see Axl perform the classics with fake GnR and accept it for whatever reason.  Perhaps if they do well overseas, they might get interest going in the US again.

The post was actually somewhat positive, you've chosen to focus on the one negative point in the post.  You're looking at "fake GnR" and not seeing that I also said that they could get people interested if they play great shows overseas.  They have an audience that wants them - they should go play to it.  Who cares if the US isn't interested?

faldor

faldor wrote:

I agree, I just think you overstate people not liking the music without considering that a lot of people were never gonna give it a chance in the first place.  And there hasn't exactly been a hard push to win people over in the process.

Whatever, I completely agree with you that playing overseas would be the wy to go.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Lets step back for a second before claiming NO promoters want anything to do with GNR.

A stadium tour like previously rumored? That's a joke and we all know it. Only way this line up could perform at stadiums is if they were on a festival bill or opened for U2.

An arena tour? This is where we're on shaky ground and previous problems from 01-07 immediately surface. Very few sellouts, thousands of empty seats per venue, late starts, blah blah blah and its not really worth it from any standpoint. Only way this can feasibly work here is if the tour only goes to major cities.

A club tour? Now we're talking, but he's gonna have to accept this new role of the band in current American culture. If someone here thinks Livenation/Ticketmaster would laugh at the possibility of GNR hitting major clubs across the country, please pass the crack pipe my way.

Even a club tour comes with its own set of problems. They had trouble selling out The Joint in Vegas, and if this became a problem region to region, the band name is almost worthless and he might as well attempt a solo venture while letting the name rest in peace until a future date.

I do think he can pull off a successful club/theater tour. It has to be marketed properly though, and he has to put in the effort and not just show up. If he doesn't put in the effort, only hardcores are gonna show up, and the clubs will be empty except Hammerstein/Warfield type venues in major cities.

Its a risk either way this cookie crumbles, but a club tour is a safe(r) bet and if it is a success, they can build off the momentum of it.

emcitymisfit
 Rep: 28 

emcitymisfit wrote:

Why does James Lofton's post remind me so much of Spinal Tap's ill-fated US tour?

"Boston's not a good market anyway, not much of a college town."

emcitymisfit
 Rep: 28 

emcitymisfit wrote:

BUT, what kinda clubs are we talking? 2000 seat venues? 5000? They'd run sellouts easy. Tons of major acts are selling out 5000 seat venues, and the shows are better for it.

Everyone assumes Axl would have a hard time swallowing his pride and playing anything less than stadiums, I don't know this is the case. It's plausible, but I dunno. He knew what he was doing when he chose to not promote CD. If he truly wanted to return to that status, he'd have done things a lot different.

Another question I have is -- how many years does Axl have left of performing? He's already winded and having a hard time singing songs and just looks goofy running around. It's only downhill from here, and from what I've heard, he ducks off stage for a good amount of time between songs already. What's next, lipsynching?

Board footer