You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: If You Have Any Complaints About The Official Site

Smoking Guns wrote:

www.snakepit.org

This shit hasn't changed! Haha. Classic.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
TheMole wrote:

Takes me back, the internet used to be an entirely different place... smile.

It certainly was.  It was mind blowing but few imagined it would turn into what it has become.

Social media really changed the landscape.

No one remembers the names of any newsgroups? They were like alt.whatever.whatever.gnr.whatever

I remember a few of them being active 97-99. Just like the forums in the 00s just more primitive. People speculating on the same things at each group.  You had a screen name but there were no avatars, sigs, or anything flashy. Just text.

For awhile there wasn't much to speculate on. Its not like the Axl, Finck, Huge, Stinson, Dizzy lineup was out setting the world on fire.  Axl's arrest in 98 caused shock waves for about five minutes.  OMG and of course the first mention of CD in 99 is what really set things in motion.

Was GNR Bar online in the 90s?   I also remember the Jeff Boerio site. That was my favorite. I'm pretty sure he was the first one to mention "sources" and "insiders".  16 Not saying he was like those of this era as that shit is played out. Back then us old timers waited for his news with baited breath.

http://www.geocities.ws/samgunsjovirow/Links.htm

He had a much older version of a site than that definitely.

I do not remember evagnraxlrosette having her own site. A shame. I would have certainly checked it out.  I miss her. The GNR forums don't make em like that anymore.

Don't forget Sp1at.

https://web.archive.org/web/20061225150 … sp1at.com/

https://web.archive.org/web/20060430212 … com/forum/

I don't think it dates back to the late 90s though. Early 00s. Quirky site with a great community.  During that silent period they somehow worked some magic and got some much needed detail on CD, specifically song titles and descriptions(which wound up being correct).

Its also where the "theory" that I was Paul Huge originated. 16 Not by Sp1at itself but one of its members.

Mid 00s was a great era for the forums. The communities back then "deserved"(for lack of a better word) an album to listen to and discuss.

darkhelmet
 Rep: 0 

darkhelmet wrote:

James Lofton, can you please send me a PM? I have a question about the forum for you.

AtariLegend wrote:

Anyone got ROV pages saved too? I mean it was essentially most of the same posters on this forum almost 10 years ago with a different name.

Shame those pages were removed from the archive.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Roses of Velvet was the same people I think!  Good times.

Lomax wrote:

Ilicit net was where IRS originally laeked. Used to hang around there waiting for more godly mana to fall out of that douchebag's giant ass.
Wasted. Fucking. Years.

Fun tho.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Wow, that's wild some of you guys go back to the 90s on these sites.  Do any of you recall each other from way back then?  (I would think you didn't have usernames tho pre-message board).

I first recall venturing into GnR WebsiteLand back in 2002 aftter the cancelled Philly show.  I recall writing a pretty scathing F-U post to Axl on one of the sites, I think it was a popular one, not a message board per se, more like an older twitter/instant post thing where you didn't sign up (at least I don't think I did).  Then, around 2004 I came across & joined HTGTH for a few years. Was a pretty active ROV poster & then landed here.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I remember a guy called Regal99 or something on the 2000 Intentions forums. He used to create conspiracy theories about Dizzy Reed being the brains behind GN'R. But that was 00, 01 for my part, not the 90s.

Axl4Life
 Rep: 28 

Axl4Life wrote:

It's cool that this site is still going and a lot of the members from "the good old days" are still a big part of this forum and are posting regularly.

AtariLegend wrote:
A4L2.0 wrote:

It's cool that this site is still going and a lot of the members from "the good old days" are still a big part of this forum and are posting regularly.

Welcome back Axl4Life. Have you come to join us again waiting for another album that probably won't be released?

Board footer